PC not detecting L930 Build 10586 via usb, how do I downgrade?

WallOfShame

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
Upgraded to 10586.11 from hard resetted 10581 L930, as declared, my phone went into reboot loop. So I did a hard reset again and finally 10586 was installed. Now I am able to get into Extras - Touch and enable double tap to wake. But following issues still persist:
1. Speech and Cortana are deaf. (Speech - English India default). Pressing the mic while typing shows "Try Again".
2. Loudspeaker mic still not working. No audio from voice recorder, video recording, whatsapp, etc.
3. PC still not detecting my phone via USB. Phone displays the message "Device charging slowly" though I am using original cable.

Tried Windows Device Recovery and Nokia Software Recovery, both can't detect my phone. Did a soft reset as told but the phone gets detected for a few seconds and again ejected automatically. Tried on different laptops, on different USB ports and also disabled USB selective disabling. But no luck!!!

Now how do I even downgrade my phone back to W8.1???

renuzaki

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
How do i use it when phone itself is not getting detected?

had this problem in earlier days of w10m build back in april in L1020.
3 solutions might help.
1. check if device discovery is on/off and developer tools or any other feature of that sort is off and then connect to windows device recovery tool (make sure its latest version!) and then click "my phone was not detected"
2. install nokia pc suite complete (for all nokia phones) it sort of has "nokia emergency usb driver" in case your phone is dead/ or not detected (this helped me)
3. connect tto windows 10 using phone companion app! :D

Varm

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
It is very simple to figure out. go to DEVICES and PRINTERS in windows desktop > click remove your Lumia device > then after you removed the lumia > connect it again using your USB cable > it will automatically detect installing drivers.

In that cases, your previous Lumia drivers installed in your PC was not compatible in your current build 10586

WallOfShame

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
had this problem in earlier days of w10m build back in april in L1020.
3 solutions might help.
1. check if device discovery is on/off and developer tools or any other feature of that sort is off and then connect to windows device recovery tool (make sure its latest version!) and then click "my phone was not detected"
Tried this, didn't work.
2. install nokia pc suite complete (for all nokia phones) it sort of has "nokia emergency usb driver" in case your phone is dead/ or not detected (this helped me)
Trying Nokia Software Updater 4.3.2. It initially didn't detect my phone too. But after soft resetting twice, it detected the phone, a recovery logo appeared on phone's screen for a few minutes, but then disappeared, the phone got ejected and booted back to 10586. Meanwhile the Software Updater is downloading the firmware which is 1.78GB. I have no idea what's going to happen next.
3. connect tto windows 10 using phone companion app! :D
Maybe this is the last option.

WallOfShame

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
After 6 soft resets, finally the Nokia Software Updater 4.3.2 worked and I am back on Windows 8.1 Denim. Feels a little weird especially after using W10M for so many days. Feel like going back to Insider. Is it recommended to go to Insider again after so much of mess or should I wait for final release of W10M for all?

anon(9603734)

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Tried this, didn't work.

Trying Nokia Software Updater 4.3.2. It initially didn't detect my phone too. But after soft resetting twice, it detected the phone, a recovery logo appeared on phone's screen for a few minutes, but then disappeared, the phone got ejected and booted back to 10586. Meanwhile the Software Updater is downloading the firmware which is 1.78GB. I have no idea what's going to happen next.

Maybe this is the last option.

I've had the 'device not recognised' problem since I hard reset upon updating to 10581. I asked about it here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...vice-not/d9c6e793-c238-4dd2-bb86-02273ae58e47

Unfortunately, the suggestions in that thread did not resolve. I have tweeted Gabe Aul on 4 occasions, Jason and Microsoft also, but no response (not that I blame Gabe, etc - I suspect he did not see my tweets in-between the myriad of "New build today?" tweets that he gets every single day). I reported the problem in the feedback app also.

I have tried all of the troubleshooting here: Nokia Lumia 635 - Troubleshooter - Microsoft - UK but again, no luck. I uninstalled the driver under "Portable Devices", and it never reappeared! Instead when I next plugged the phone in, it appeared to install a driver under 'Universal Serial Bus devices' with name "Lumia BootMgr". However, laptop still does not want to recognise the device!

Windows Device Recovery Tool did not find device, nor did Nokia PC Suite. They were dead ends :unhappy:

I have now installed the software update via Nokia Software Updater 4.3.2 (like WallOfShame it needed two soft resets, then after downloading the firmware, another two soft resets). Following this, I now have "Portable Devices" > Windows Phone showing in Device Manager and Lumia 635 showing under the 'Universal Serial Bus devices' along with the "Lumia BootMgr", and my laptop is now recognising the device :grin:

beachedwhale42

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
After 6 soft resets, finally the Nokia Software Updater 4.3.2 worked and I am back on Windows 8.1 Denim. Feels a little weird especially after using W10M for so many days. Feel like going back to Insider. Is it recommended to go to Insider again after so much of mess or should I wait for final release of W10M for all?
10586 was the build that shipped on the 950/950XL. It is likely the build being given to OEMs and/or carriers for OTA approval. I personally find it a bit buggy with too much battery drain, so I think I'm going back to 8.1 on my 920 tonight, but I love 10 as a whole and hope to see it improve.

RkNguyen

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
Next time, you can try this way:
1. Run Windows Device Recovery, but do not plug your phone in -> Choose "My phone not detected" -> then choose Lumia
2. Now soft reset your phone Power + Vol down, keep it pressed. Also plug cable to your Phone, but still not plug other end to your computer.
3. Your phone will restart if Power + Vold down is kept pressing. Right after it "restart/vibrate" plug in your USB cable to your computer.

I think now Windows Device Recovery will try to detect your phone boot image, and will let you to downgrade.
I also saved my 1320 by using this way after it was dead during 10581 upgrading.

Last edited:

WallOfShame

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
1. Run Windows Device Recovery, but do not plug your phone in -> Choose "My phone not detected" -> then choose Lumia
2. Now Hard reset your phone Power + Vol down, keep it pressed. Also plug cable to your Phone, but still not plug other end to your computer.
3. Your phone will restart if Power + Vold down is kept pressing. Right after it "restart/vibrate" plug in your USB cable to your computer.

I think now Windows Device Recovery will try to detect your phone boot image, and will let you to downgrade.
I also saved my 1320 by using this way after it was dead during 10581 upgrading.
Thanks.
But do you feel like going back to W10M 10586? Or are you going to wait for next build?

RkNguyen

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
Hi, i feel W10 is better 8.1, and this build looks better now.

my L1320 is a little hot in 8.1, so i need to try newer build. During the upgrade, i need a fan to blow heating away.

The only thing i need but not in W10 is "flash game". I hope i can play flash game in Egde or UC, or I can install android APK under W10.

Thanks.
But do you feel like going back to W10M 10586? Or are you going to wait for next build?

anon(9603734)

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Same issue with my 930, is this a 930 issue or will recovery to 8.1 and update to 10586.11 resolve the problem.

Hi, it wasn't 930 specific, it happened on my 635 too. I think the issue arose from hard resetting straight after upgrading to previous build 10581. The only way I could recover to Windows 8 was via Nokia Software Updater 4.3.2. This resolved the problem for me. I have since upgraded my phone to 10586, and laptop still recognises the phone. :grin:

Thanks.

I went back to 10586 and don't regret it :amaze:

kobe_mvp

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
2. Now soft reset your phone Power + Vol down, keep it pressed. Also plug cable to your Phone, but still not plug other end to your computer.

this works

anon(9603734)

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Is cortana and speech working? and is your loudspeaker mic working?

To be honest, I don't really use Cortana. However, I will try to answer (if the answers I give are not what you meant, please feel free to clarify and I will do my best to test for you).

Having a 635, I don't have the "Hey Cortana" option, so can't inform you if that works or not.

I'm unsure what exactly you mean by Cortana and Speech. I have tested certain things for you and when I asked Cortana to:
"Open Youtube", she opened the 'Tubecast for Youtube' app I have installed;
"Text Dad <dictated my message>", that SMS worked/sent fine;
"Open Groove", she opened Groove Music app.

However, if I ask her to "play <song title>", or "play <artist>", she doesn't open Groove but instead just brings up a Bing search. I guess this type of function will be implemented over time.

For loudspeaker, I've just had a telephone conversation on "speaker phone", with the phone on the table about a foot away from me. I could clearly hear the other person and they heard what I was saying. So no problems there (at least with my phone!) :grin:

Hope that helps :smile:

renuzaki

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site

glad it helped :amaze:

in my opinion for L930 you can use W10M as dailydriver as a L1020 owner it %#$! on my phone :|

for cortana an all i would suggest updating all settings (like language and all speech downloading etc in wp8.1 than upgrade) so when you do that it gets carry over and these things get updated in "phone update".

Obviously you'll have to avoid hard reset.
I usually go to clean wp8.1 and then upgrade so i don't have to hard reset on w10m whilst keeping apps like "lumia camera" :D

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlizaForbes