PIN lockout during the upgrade process - no prompt for A1B2C3 only restart

rush2abhijeet

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Dear Friends,

Really need your help in this one: I was updating my boss's Lumia 730 with official windows 10 and now am in a mess. The phone downloaded the update (first build 10586.107 - because this happened before the second update to 10586.164 was even prompted) and the post installation the phone restarted to the lock screen (for the first time)and then we entered the wrong PIN multiple times!!!

Now in retrospect we remember the PIN but the phone is never prompting to enter PIN. It only says " you have entered incorrect PIN too many times...to try again, please restart"..we restarted many times, pull out the battery too but every time the phone starts , we get the same screen of " you have entered incorrect PIN too many times...to try again, please restart"

Now , I believe I should be getting the " type A1B2C3" prompt but that isn't happening....more so I CANNOT hard reset the device as my boss has forgotten the Microsoft account password (@outlook.com) and even recovering it is not possible as the recovery number for 'text' is no longer in use / available and we cannot fill in the reset form as that outlook.com email was never used for anything (except activation) and no history is remembered.

My question to the experts:
Will the phone ever prompt for the PIN or even A1B2C3 in some time (its been 3 hours already and multiple restarts)? We have the correct PIN..just need to enter it...
Is this an issue with this particular build that the PIN screen never shows up again?
Are we totally done if the Microsoft account password is not available...hard resetting will basically give a new phone but my boss will loose all his contacts.??

Many thanks!!!

rush2abhijeet

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I really need the expert guidance, I was updating my boss's 730 with official w10 update and after the first restart ( i suppose build 10586.107 as i understand this would have then further updated to 10586.164 after some time...thats what i heard about the official update ) when prompted for PIN, we entered the wrong PIN multiple times resulting in "You have entered incorrect PIN too many times, to try again please restart" and we did restart multiple times, even removed the battery, BUT every time after restart it again reverts to You have entered incorrect PIN too many times, to try again please restart"

Now, hard resetting the device is not an option as my boss doesn't have his Microsoft credentials, and recovering them have already been a futile experience as his registered number for recovery text is also no longer with him, nor has he every actually used that account (except for activation) so filling the verify form is not working..as no history is available

Kindly advise, if we should wait & for how many hours for the PIN prompt to come...its been 4 hours already - we know the correct PIN now...just want an option to enter it. Thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett