PocketNow Windows Phone 8 Exclusive

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Mmm the idea of a completely different software scares me. Also the fact that there's 4 screen resolutions might lend to some app incompatibility.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Mmm the idea of a completely different software scares me. Also the fact that there's 4 screen resolutions might lend to some app incompatibility.

Not really developers will have to build on the lowest specs and make sure the apps scale up. Its going to be interesting how they handle fragmentation I can see the WP developing some sort of tier hardware spefifications for example tier 1 = single core 512 MB ram tier 2 dual core 1 GB ram higher res etc.

IMO it all has to do with the resolution as long as the single core phones arent running crazy HD resolutions the performance should be fine. MS knows how to build operating systems Google doesn't so I know they will get this right

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
No...it's really not

No. It's slow and clunky. It's trying too hard to be fancy.

It may depend on the type of computer you're using.

Zune is pretty nice. But I've heard that people using lower end PCs with integrated graphics don't have an optimal experience.

M

mkr10001

It may depend on the type of computer you're using.

Zune is pretty nice. But I've heard that people using lower end PCs with integrated graphics don't have an optimal experience.

Yeah I'm only using a 2GB laptop and yes I have integrated graphics lol but still.....iTunes runs fine on here.

My problem with zune is that...it's too complicated. Too many screens to get to to just SEE what content I have. Doesn't do a very good job of monitoring folders for changes either. And why do I need to go into settings to update.....is that a setting? Just things like that.

SolunaKitty

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I find Zune to be quite nice. When I open it, it goes straight to the last screen I was on inside "Collection"; in this case, it's almost always on Playlists. It also keeps a tab of which song I left off on, and if I click "play", it will continue on the list as if I never closed it (which I like very much). Other than that, I really like clicking on the album art on the bottom to bring up "Idle View" which shows and flips through a whole bunch of the album art I have. I've never had a problem with iTunes (except for the startup iTunesHelper, iPodService, etc...), but it most cases, I like Zune more (I don't like that I cannot specify the columns in "Playlists"). Oh, after reading through some comments, I will say that Zune opens up more quickly than iTunes did for me.

Last edited:

alexblfc

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Im guessing MS will set three tiers for Apollo handsets -

Tier 1 - Low range: 512Mb Ram, 5Mp camera, 320x480/480x800 resolution, 4Gb+ Storage, 1Ghz+ single core SoC

Tier 2 - Mid range: 768Mb Ram, 8Mp camera, 480x800/640x960 resolution, 8Gb+ Storage, 1.5Ghz+ Single core SoC

Tier 3 - High range: 1Gb+ Ram, 10-12Mp+ camera, 640x960/720x1280 resolution, 16Gb + Micro sd card up to 32Gb Storage, 1.5Ghz dual core+ SoC.

And then possibly a tier 4 for Windows 8 Tablets: 2Gb+ Ram, 1280x800+ resolution, 32Gb+ Flash storage up to 80Gb, 1.8Ghz Quadcore+ SoC.

Just my guessing, but i for sure can't wait to see what Apollo handsets we get. My ideal would be, 4.7" 720x1280 Display, 1.5Ghz Dual Core Qualcomm snapdragon S4 with Adreno 220 Graphics, 32Gb storage, 12Mp Wide lens camera with f2.0, 1Gb Ram and a 2Mp ffc + NFC. Not holding my breath though. My Titan will see me out this year though :)

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Zune is totally redundant, and it's good they're scrapping it.

Zune Desktop App is not the Zune Service, so it has nothing to do with Zune on the XBox 360.

M

mkr10001

Zune is totally redundant, and it's good they're scrapping it.

Zune Desktop App is not the Zune Service, so it has nothing to do with Zune on the XBox 360.

It's awful. It makes a right pigs ear of libraries and folders and the "here are all your videos in thumbnail format with the titles cut off so you can't see what is what screen " does my HEAD IN. Also zune and WP need more codec support. I have some tv shows in mkv format and now I have to change the container to mp4 then add them and organise them into series and title them, but I don't want two copies of everything :/ They need to get on mkv and divx

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
otispit