Prize-A-Day, Day 5

Dieter Bohn

Ex Editor in Chief
Feb 1, 2001
smartphoneexperts.com
President's Day means that the luckier among us get the day off. The rest of us are working like schmucks (then again, maybe there's no other way to work). So what to give away on President's Day? Well, a President has people who take care of stuff for them, so we'll give you the next best thing: people for your WM phone. People who keep track of your sports, news, movie times, and more; so you can focus on more important things.

By people, I mean Handmark. Specifically, we'll send you a CD and a 3-month subscription to Handmark Express

How to Win

Let's take it back to the forums today. For President's Day, let's be full of ourselves. How does your smartphone make you an effective "executive"? How does it make you seem "important"? Or for the more humble of you, how does a smartphone help the "little guy" in an executive's world? Post a reply in this thread.

Don't forget: **Every entry in a daily contest doubles as an entry for the Grand Prize and the two Second Prizes!** Namely: A Smartphone of your choice plus $300 to spend in the WMExperts store and a couple of Slingbox Pros.

Also, I'll announce last week's Prize-A-Day winners a little later today!

(Full contest rules are here: http://www.wmexperts.com/featured/wmexpertscom_prizeaday_contest.html)

utey

Dec 2, 2000
Visit site
Two brains are bigger than one...

I have never missed a meeting, or failed a task because my second brain connected to my laptop has kept me on track! :cool:

tlenz

Sep 15, 2006
Visit site
One device is better than two. This smartphone combines my PDA and my phone. My PDA is always with me now - not on my desk. I find I use it much more this way!:thumbsup:

flash13

Feb 13, 2007
Visit site
It helps me keep up with the news and gives me access to information anywhere, any time. I think that more than levels the playing field and probably gives me an edge.

rezaf_2000

Feb 12, 2007
Visit site
Ok, so I'm waiting for my newly bought treo to come in a few days, but I've been using a Nokia smartphone for a 3 years now. With my Mp3 Player in a pocket and Palm Zire organizer in another (and the big chunky Nokia in a third) I felt like anybody excpet an executive!

So, how my treo is supposed to make me feel like a president? First of all it's going to eliminate three humps on my pants! With a leather case on my belt and my trousers finally fitting on me, I'll definitely LOOK more like an executive.

Then whenever I pull my treo out, I'll feel as exclusive as a president, cause I went through all the troubles to get an exclusive arctic white treo. Not a bland grey or silver, but the absolutely great looking white one!

Aside from aesthetics, I've been relying on my Palm to organize my life for a long time now (my first Palm was an m105 back in 2001, and I never felt OK with the Symbian. Stylus rocks!). I simply can't live without my calendar, and the occasional missing of an appointment due to my laziness (of finding in which pocket I've put my Palm) or bad luck (oops, I forgot to bring the Palm!) should totally vanish with my treo.

I'm going to set my three different email accounts to be popped automatically on my treo, so no more running back and forth between my office and seminar rooms. I'm still a (grad) student, and it would be nice if I can get my emails in the classrooms or seminars too.

Let's see, so many times I had to prepare a PowerPoint presentation in 20 minutes because a professor just decided to visit our group! Yep, treo can do that too! I write reports and papers a lot, so maybe the Microsoft word compatibility can help me sometimes, although I confess the cramped keyboard hinders fast typing. Well, we live in a world of compromises, right?!

Let's not forget about listening to 8 giga bytes of MP3 (treos now accept SDHC cards, and they're cheap!). No more Ipod! Oh, let's not forget the Nintendo emulator software! Mario, where are you?! (See, us Gen. Nintendo kids have to keep Mario near). Life of a president is not all about work after all, even a president needs some entertainment once in a while - ask Bill Clinton about it!

Oh, and let's not forget I can SSH into my home Linux server using pssh. This one rocks!

The fact that there are thousands of third party apps to choose from (for cheap of coarse!) and my ability to write Java programs for my treo is just the icing on the cake!

doclee7123

Feb 13, 2007
Visit site
I've got people...

With Microsoft Voice Command, my smart phone is able to read to me all of my upcoming appointments as well as who is calling. It is definitely like having people.

fmhcom

Feb 20, 2007
Visit site
Well my smartphone is an old Treo 600 that has passed many hands at work. Besides the usual calendaring, SMS, and contact list what helps me out is being able to check corporate E-mail for support issue. No matter where I'm at or what I'm doing I can monitor messages from users or servers.

I'm looking to replace my current cell phone which is an old Nokia phone with either a Windows Mobile phone (not sure which one as there are too many to choose from) or a Palm based Treo 680.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb