Problem with Gmail on my new Lumia 920

Roy Keren

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

I set my gmail account, been getting emails but can not make it work both ways:
I read the email on my phone, even delete it then go to my computer an hour later and it is still there.

On my iPhone I didn't need to do any special configuration to make it work, what am I doing wrong? :mad:

Thanks,
Roy.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I have that issue sometimes as well. It's like two way sync isn't working.

I set my GMail up as Outllook (Exchange) and it seems to work better now. After doing that, open the browser on your 920,. and go to m.google.com/sync and set your messages to be deleted instead of archived.

I"ve also found that if I push/hold on an unread message, and delete it, it doesn't delete on the web client. But if I open the message, and then delete it, it works right away.

Roy Keren

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

Thanks for your replies.
Sorry for my ignorance but how can you set a Gmail account as an Outlook account?
Outlook account setup asks for domain, server etc which I don't really know about my Gmail account.
I tried to set it up as "other account" but it automatically recognizes it as Gmail...

Thanks again,
Roy.

txbosox

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Roy, to setup your gmail as an Outlook account just go through the sign in portion under a new Outlook account as you normally would for your gmail account info (email/password). Then try to sign in, it'll throw an error saying it can't sign in and then show the username and domain fields below the original fields. Add @gmail.com to the username it's provided (it should be your full email address) and then ignore the domain field. Sign in again. It should throw another error giving the option for "advanced" now, tap it. It should show you an option for a server, type in "m.google.com" and make sure the SSL box is checked (think mine was on by default and I didn't scroll to look for it). Let it sync up and it'll behave more like the gmail you know. It's still not a perfect workaround though.

Short version :)
email: fulladdress @gmail.com
password: password
username: fulladdress @gmail.com
domain: [leave blank]
server: m.google.com
SSL?: Yes/Check

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Just so the OP knows, I'm sure this is a very temporary issue. Email syncing on WP7.5 was absolutely flawless, best I've tried on any OS, including iOS.

Let's hope the first WP8 update is on the horizon.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Just so the OP knows, I'm sure this is a very temporary issue. Email syncing on WP7.5 was absolutely flawless, best I've tried on any OS, including iOS.

Let's hope the first WP8 update is on the horizon.
I have not had any issues with Gmail on WP7.5 either. However, I did set up my Gmail account as Exchange ActiveSync, not IMAP.

Sun_dog

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
You are describing a POP3 email setup where you have an option/box checked to keep the original emails on the server. I transitioned my company from crappy Network Solutions pop3/imap email to Exchange Online and it went from what you're describing to push email like you are expecting. At the very least, change it to imap (you'll probably have to set it up again).

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,

I set my gmail account, been getting emails but can not make it work both ways:
I read the email on my phone, even delete it then go to my computer an hour later and it is still there.

On my iPhone I didn't need to do any special configuration to make it work, what am I doing wrong? :mad:

Thanks,
Roy.

Out of curiosity what was your syncing interval when you had Gmail setup as Google on your phone?

iusti

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

I've recently bought a Nokia 920. I am not very familiar with WP8..and imagine that I use a google account for my personal emails, events (callendar) etc.
Yet, I do not manage a all to add a Google account - I keep receiving the error message "Google account info is incorrect - Update your account info from..." and here it gives me 2 hints: ...from m.google.com or imap.gmail.com:993:1.

Maybe this discussion is already on the forum, yet I couldn't find anything directly linked to my issue.

Thanks in advance if you have any advice.

loprojoe

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
iusti, did you ever find an answer to this? Just got a 920 myself...having exact same problem. Will post back here if I find any info...thanks in advance if you have an answer!

Last edited:

iusti

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi there,
Sorry, I was away on holiday. I have found the solution on discussions.nokia.com.
Thus, if you have an application-specific passwords enabled on your google account... you will need to generate one for your phone, as your normal password will not work with this setting enabled. Once you do that, it will work just fine. Too bad this is not explicit for all the users.
Best Regards,
iusti

Linh Pham

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
My problem is GMail on Lumia 920 is kinda silly: I simply cannot make my Lumia display JUST the Priority Inbox, it can only show a normal inbox which, in my case, is way too messy to go through. Any solution?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss