Q MOL3 Update...uh, update!

bubbatex

Apr 3, 2006
Visit site
Thought I would drop in, dust off the cobwebs and post something in this lonely forum. I did the MOL3 update on my Sprint Q on July 29. I was about to throw it against the wall and decided to do a master reset to clean it out - the update came out the same weekend I embarked on this mission, so I went ahead and updated. I have to say, this update has renewed my faith in this thin little beauty (OK, not so thin as I have a Seidio 2100 extended battery strapped on her!). The phone now functions as we all wished it had when released (no need to do the EVDO ring-thru hack and the time zone automatically changes to name two goodies). I still lose Speed Dial occasionally, but that is about all I notice now. After numerous tests, I attribute any late ringing or missed calls to the network, not the phone. After having the Swiss Army Knife of PDA Phones (aka Mogul), I like the simplicity of the Q for my day-to-day business needs. And it has a really good phone (not to say the Mogul had a bad phone - I thought it was fine, just not as good as the Q's).

I am now looking forward to the Q9c in November as I have decided to stick with WM (yes, I was looking at a BB and that sleek beauty from Apple) - and the new Q9 has a nice keyboard, which is my only real complaint on the existing Q.

omnigo

Aug 23, 2006
Visit site
I agree - my Sprint Motorola Q with MOL3 is my everyday phone, and I am quite happy with it. If the battery life and usability of my phone was the same as the battery life and usability of the original silver Verizon Q, the phone would have received raves and been much more highly reviewed. With Opera Mini offering a similar browsing experience to the iPhone at superior EVDO speeds (with the Sprint $15 unlimited data plan to boot), full YouTube access, the WM6 Office suite copied onto WM5, and Windows Live Search loaded on the phone, it's an impressive piece of equipment at a very reasonable price!

omnigo

Aug 23, 2006
Visit site
You are using Opera Mini?

Yes -
http://www.operamini.com/download/pc/motorola/motorola_q/

I personally installed it after loading a Java VM onto my Q first -- I use IBM's Java client for Windows Mobile smartphones -- I use the trial version available at this address: http://www-306.ibm.com/software/wireless/weme/

I use 3 browsers at different times:

Opera Mobile for sites optimized for mobile viewing
Opera Mini for full-fledged websites
Pocket IE for accessing YouTube.

bubbatex

Apr 3, 2006
Visit site
Thanks - I did not care for it on my T650 (froze a lot) and I did not care for it much on my Mogul. But it migh be worth a shot for full-sized sites.

omnigo

Aug 23, 2006
Visit site
Thanks - I did not care for it on my T650 (froze a lot) and I did not care for it much on my Mogul. But it migh be worth a shot for full-sized sites.

Opera Mini 4 beta 2 for high-memory devices (like the q) is an extremely impressive browser. It has changed significantly since version 3.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leliawindler