Qualcomm rumored to be eyeing up Intel for potential takeover

FraJa

Jun 30, 2024
Visit site
Why would they be receptive... (They announced that the Fabs would be put in a separate entity... which for all I know is an administrative move) They are building fabs, they have many already... the one to host the Angström process is done, they need to optimize the industrial process, they have a Networking division for DC, business, but also just Wifi cards you see everywhere. They have AI accelerators for a while, developed the Arc in no time, so it was ready for the AI era, and for other users, the Arc are also very affordable... and thus they have also GPUs for DCs. They have the Xeon, that maybe should be evoked once or twice... They are impressive... still have the FPGA business.,and much more...
This article, (from the competition, but I hope Mr Apple isn't around) https://www.tomshardware.com/news/inside-intel-packaging-factory explain what is a CPU factory... and how very different it is tto manufacture chips, than it is to "order a soc from California" or from San-Diego for Qualcomm (but they design the whole chip, but the ram - same for everyone, as well Bluetooth or 5G only or specific chips, more similar to what NVidia did or still do (beside the GPU)).
This link to: https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...-largest-construction-projects.html#gs.f2b97y
I can't see another industry as complex, requiring so much investments, and research years in advance, then such gigantic "foundries", highly skilled employees, and 4554 steps (made up) for building such small thing as a cpu (which is a much smaller item than the "package" which is plugged in the motherboard...) ... and also the SOC of the AI laptops is more a "good surprise" than anything else... and they weren't really promoted in advance... they had said they would do it like that (presentation of the architectture), they did, and it worked as expected :)