Question for Lumia 900 owners.

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I have a Samsung Focus (the original SGH-i917), on AT&T, and apparently AT&T hates to give updates (last update available for this phone was the big update last year (mango?)). Current OS version is 7.10.7720.68

Anyway, my question for Lumia 900 owners (and possibly other phones that have the newest available WP7 update) in related to the 'app list' page (swiping left from the home page).

On my phone (I think it's considered WP7 7.5) the app list is separated by the letters of the alphabet. So, if I touch any of the alphabet letters, it will bring up the full alphabet and allow me to quickly jump to a specific list of apps that start with the letter I choose. I can find any app on my phone with only 3 finger touches, I really like this.

Now, I've noticed on the new phones, including the WP8 devices, when viewing the app list the apps are no longer separated by the alphabet letters (in fact, those letters are completely missing) and the apps are just one giant list. So, if I wanted to open an app that starts with the letter "T", I'd have to scroll down several screens to find the T section, and then open the app.

Do the newer WP7 OS versions or WP8 allow you to turn the alphabet list on/off? Is there a way to bring back that alphabet letters separating the apps in the app list? I was quite shocked to see such a great sorting feature apparently removed.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Do the newer WP7 OS versions or WP8 allow you to turn the alphabet list on/off? Is there a way to bring back that alphabet letters separating the apps in the app list? I was quite shocked to see such a great sorting feature apparently removed.
I'm running a newer OS on my L900, and the alphabet letters are present.

lkwaijunior

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
hi, i've seen a latest video from test-mobile.fr or something like that; the feature still exists.

If i'm not wrong, the alphabet selection only appears when you have more than a certain number of apps installed. Don't know the number though.. (the wp8 demos have way too few apps anyway)

Sounds like you sure have a lot of apps though!

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj-1bHcuFvg

check around the 5:50 mark

Last edited:

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
hi, i've seen a latest video from test-mobile.fr or something like that; the feature still exists.

If i'm not wrong, the alphabet selection only appears when you have more than a certain number of apps installed. Don't know the number though.. (the wp8 demos have way too few apps anyway)

Sounds like you sure have a lot of apps though!

edit: Nokia Lumia 920 PureView, prise en main - par Test-Mobile.fr - YouTube

check around the 5:50 mark

You got it. I believe it's something like 45 apps (rather, 45 "things" showing in the list, which I believe also includes things like "settings")

Awesome! Thank you for the info and that does make a lot of sense. I counted and I have 79 apps in my app list (that doesn't include games!), but it does include all of the pre-installed stuff, like 'phone', 'people', 'outlook', etc. Although I do actually use most of my installed apps. :)

Thanks again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124