re-installing my "free" windows 10 pro 64 upgrade.

fjnagle2nd

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
So I did the free upgrade to windows 10 (pro 64) from windows 7 Pro 64. It was installed on a 240GB SSD. My boot up is taking way too long, so I will assume it is time to format c: and re-install Windows 10 Pro 64. I also want to upgrade my SSD to a much larger capacity drive. As this was a "free" up grade, how is this done without me having to purchase my own copy of Windows 10 Pro 64? I already own 2 full versions pf Windows 7 Pro 64 which I no longer use. So I guess my question is can this be done without purchase? If so, how?

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
I'm not sure about this. I believe you can install a new Hard drive and still maintain the digital license . If you change the Mother board, then you will have a problem.
Here's link from HTG that might answer some of your questions.How to Use Your Free Windows 10 License After Changing Your PC?s Hardware
PS If that doesn't work, you can try Alan's suggestion and hopefully get a kind caring MS personal.:wink: As far as the other PCs, the time for the free W10 upgrade is over.
PS! You don't have to know all the answers, you just need to know how to find them. HTG is my friend and I let him remember all these things for me:grin:
Here's link from WC! http://www.windowscentral.com/how-link-your-windows-10-product-key-microsoft-account

Last edited:

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
So I did the free upgrade to windows 10 (pro 64) from windows 7 Pro 64. It was installed on a 240GB SSD. My boot up is taking way too long, so I will assume it is time to format c: and re-install Windows 10 Pro 64. I also want to upgrade my SSD to a much larger capacity drive. As this was a "free" up grade, how is this done without me having to purchase my own copy of Windows 10 Pro 64? I already own 2 full versions pf Windows 7 Pro 64 which I no longer use. So I guess my question is can this be done without purchase? If so, how?
I originally did the free upgrade with a standard HD. Then did a clean install with a new SSD. Had no issues, licensing or otherwise. . .

mixiegrinder

Dec 20, 2016
Visit site
I wanted to do the same thing. I got the ISO from MS website and burnt the image onto the dvd. I used to have Win 10 pro which was activated from a 7 and then I formatted the hdd due to an error, and installed back windows 7. But for some reason Windows showed a popup saying disc verification failed. Unsure whether Win 10 had burnt successfully to the disc or not, I created a new partiton and tried to install it there, keeping Win 7 in its original directory. But the install failed. And the weird part is, now my Win 7 starts showing me its not genuine!

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Try logging in with your MS account and it should give you entitlement. If not you may need to contact MS who will give you a license. MS has stated in the past that changing hard drives will not force you to buy a new windows license.

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi @Krystianpants! Thanks for joining this thread and helping!:wink: I'm really not sure where the OP is at the moment. The OP stated he upgraded W7 to W10 pro. That should have given him a digital license which could then be changed to link it to his Microsoft account, after the anniversary update, as you stated in your reply.
Then OP reformatted and went back to W7. Then OP created a new partition and tried to install W10. I think I have it straight. If so, that ain't going to work. You can not keep W7 and use the MCT to install a free W10 on the same hard drive. I think I have this straight. Please correct me where I'm wrong! Here's a link that might help with this issue. See what you think about this and let me know. This will help me help other members! I'm thinking that the W7 license might no longer be valid either. That's my understanding. Your thoughts would be appreciated or if any one else has a comment it would be welcomed! I'm thinking MS is thinking some hanky panky is going on. :grin:
You can dual-boot Windows 7 with Windows 10, but there's a catch | PCWorld

Last edited:

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi! Here's my 2cents. If you had a legit copy of W7 or W8.1, you had the opportunity to upgrade to W10 for free. The time to accept that has expired. If you followed the procedure, you would have been given a digital license that was good for that PC. It's not transferable. After the anniversary update, the license is now linked to your Microsoft account. You should be able reinstall W10 on that PC as many times as you wish with that license. The W7 W8.1 license expired after 31days and may not be any good. My thinking is you may not be able to roll back to W7 W8.1, unless you were smart enough to have created a image with a 3rd part program like Macrium Reflect. If you think you can fool MS and keep rolling back and forth, you will be mistaken!:wink: You were given 31 days to roll back. My thinking is you are stuck with W10. This might not be true if you have OEM . That's getting above my pay grade!:wink: Here's where I get my information! If there is a expert here on WC on this subject, please correct my thinking. You will be appreciated! How to Use Your Free Windows 10 License After Changing Your PC?s Hardware

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Had similar problem myself when I migrated to new PC. I had Win 10 Pro. New Pc only had Win 10 Home. I created Win 10 installer USB drive. Booted from USB drive. Formatted and reparitioned new SSD drive and replaced its HDD.

Installed Win 10. Once it was fully installed and working, I activated. The trick was to sign into your Microsoft Acct and then specify that you have a previous license. It found a precious license for my old pc with my pc name identifier. I then ported it over to my new of and activated it.

I forgot the exact steps, but I successfuly activated the new pc with Win 10 Pro instead of Home that way.

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Wow! That's cool! Thanks for sharing that!:wink: I have W10 home. That's good enough for me. I have a USB stick with W7 on it. I also have a back up image on a external drive with W7. There's no doubt in my mind that I could roll back to W7, but why should I?? I have W10 and it's working great for me. I have the W10 MCT on a flash that will take me back to W10 clean install. Been there and done that. I also have several back up images of W10 on a external drive that will restore my PC back just like it was the day I created the image. This makes me fearless.
Thanks for your reply friend. Thanks for sharing your experience. I get bored some times on this forum. Most of the activity is about Phones and I don't know squat about Phones, but I do know a little about PCs and W10
Join me any time on a thread friend. Your suggestions will always be appreciated.:wink:
It would really be cool if we could get a progress report from the OP!:wink: OH Well!!

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
You can literally download windows 10 from Microsoft website. There's no need for a key or activation as it will be linked to your account. That's it really.

badelhas

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
You can literally download windows 10 from Microsoft website. There's no need for a key or activation as it will be linked to your account. That's it really.
That easy?! Great. But just in case I've saved my cd key for if I have replace my pc. Will it work?

Cheers

eKeith

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Isn't it also linked to the fundamental device in that I can upgrade some components but not the motherboard with a successful reinstall but I cannot transfer Windows 10 to a completely new device under my account? Would appreciate your clarification. Thanks.

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Isn't it also linked to the fundamental device in that I can upgrade some components but not the motherboard with a successful reinstall but I cannot transfer Windows 10 to a completely new device under my account? Would appreciate your clarification. Thanks.
I was able to transfer my license to a totally new device. i was on Windows Insider Fast builds if that helps. But try it without joining Insider rings.

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi As stated by other members, after the anniversary update, your digital license should be tied to your Microsoft account. Here's what it should look like! Yes it is tied to your devise. I don't think it matters about the mother board, but I could be wrong!:wink:
Here's link that might help from MS! https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12440/windows-10-activation

Attachments

• Capture25.JPG
    Capture25.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 9

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi People! The answers are all here on this thread for W10 activation!:wink: You don't have to know all the answers, you just have to know where to find them.
The answer should be some where in this thread. If you need more help, someone here will help you!:grin:
Cheers!

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi @badelhas! here are my thoughts and I'm not 100% sure about this. I'm thinking your old Key is no longer valid after upgrading to W10. The reason being is that MS has replaced that Key with a digital Key, and that is registered with your Microsoft account. I have read where people try to use this old Key and MS does not recognize it any longer. I hope I have answered your question. I'm going to do more research and see if I can come up with a positive on this.
Thank you for your question. Maybe other members have a better answer!:wink:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)