Removing Protective Element: Camera HW Mod

h_portal

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Well, as an amateur photographer I've learned that for image quality, glass is one of the most important key-components, that's why I use lens hoods instead of UV filters with my DSLR lenses for protection, because theese UV filters, even the not-so-cheap ones can introduce some unwanted elements in the picture as glare or loss in contrast.

The Lumia 920 is supposed to have a superb Zeiss-approved optical design. But using it for about a year has brought some concerns to me about the quality of it, as there were some details that I had noticed from it's design.

1. The protection element doesn't seem to be made from good quality materials
2. This protection element is quite separated from the front lens of the camera, so it may introduce some "ghosts"
3. The protection element is on the very surface of the phone, this makes it vulnerable to side lights that can bring some glare to the scene.

So, I decided to remove it from my 920 to avoid having to clean it every time, and avoid these ghosts and glare and gain a bit of contrast and sharpness. :grin:

Some may say that it's crazy to remove a protective element, but I think it's pretty safe as the real front element is now very "deep" into the body of the 920, so it's not easy to touch by accident, also it still has some dust protection due to the circular foam surrounding the hole on the 920s back. And I am a very careful person, especially with cameras.

I have a couple of friends with 920s, so I'm going to try to update this post with pictures comparing both phones. For the moment I leave a picture of the protective element taken by my 920.

WP_20131206_23_39_22_Pro.jpg

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The concern I'd have is that a DSLR generally is carried and stored in a camera bag when not in use, but a smartphone generally is carried in a pocket. Pocket lint could cause damage if the protective element is removed.

h_portal

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Well I update the post saying that I would not advice to do this.

A lot of dust gets into the sensor and degrades image quality significantly.

At the end I had to buy a new camera (it was fairly cheap at Ebay) and as I was having the phone dismantled, also bought a red housing for my black Lumia.

Captura.JPG

BjZWcinIQAALyzs.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raymowen