Rumors Xbox one with out kinect

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Fair points all - I was just putting forward a theoretical situation.

Even MS doesn't know how widely accepted the Kinect will be - it will bomb for a % of consumers - whether that % is enough to sway MS to change stance is unknown.

They have put themselves in a situation where if Kinect bombs, it means the XBOX ONE bombs.
They are ruling out a Kinect-less SKU now but things can change.

In order for that to change they'd have to reimburse any developers that have put resources into any yet to be released games that use Kinect as a mandatory input method.

Like if they got rid of a button.

That's all Kinect really is. It's a way of inputing data into the console.
Personally I can't wait for it. Its possibilities astound me.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Obviously Microsoft is going to say that a kinect-less SKU is not on the horizon because they want people to buy the console now. If they even said "were thinking about it" there would be a group of people who will wait for more details. Will there ever be a kinect-less SKU? I suspect yes, but not within the first year or year and a half of the console being out. I wouldnt be surprised if they even had a number on it. Were not going to release a kinect-less SKU until we have at least 2 million x1's out there.

MS's main customer is the game developer.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
unless they explicitly say in a contract to devs that they will 100% sell a kinect with every x1 they wouldn't have to give anyone any money. My thoughts are they will get a lot of them out there and tell every dev there is 100 million kinects out there that people are using, why not develop for it. MS's main customer has to be the public first, if there are not any x1's out there, the developers are going to run, and weather everyone has a kinect or not does not matter. It might effect if they use it or not, I'm personally okay with the kinect, but I dont see myself using it in anything other then party games. To me this seems like a lunch agenda, not a life of the product agenda.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
They have put themselves in a situation where if Kinect bombs, it means the XBOX ONE bombs.

So you truly believe that the console can't exist without the Kinect? I mean, its not like consumers are gonna stop buying an Xbox if Kinect bombs. Halo (most definitely), and Gears of War are potential system sellers. People are entrenched in the XBL culture. They are gonna buy a Xbox One, Kinect or no Kinect.

On the flipside with developers. I have no doubt they would be pissed putting resources into Kinect features, with no guarantee it will pay off (though as I said, that's the case with the Kinect regardless as you can't guarantee people will actually use it). With that being said, I doubt EA, Activision, Ubisoft, or any other developer is gonna stop developing for the Xbox as that completely alienates half of their fan base.

But what do I know. Some on here clearly are more in the know of these backstage dealings than I am. I'm just speaking as a longtime gamer. As has been said, you can buy the thing and just ignore the Kinect and features and that's that. Or you can just move on and pick the PS4, no pun intended

Steven Garrigus

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
So you truly believe that the console can't exist without the Kinect? I mean, its not like consumers are gonna stop buying an Xbox if Kinect bombs. Halo (most definitely), and Gears of War are potential system sellers. People are entrenched in the XBL culture. They are gonna buy a Xbox One, Kinect or no Kinect.

On the flipside with developers. I have no doubt they would be pissed putting resources into Kinect features, with no guarantee it will pay off (though as I said, that's the case with the Kinect regardless as you can't guarantee people will actually use it). With that being said, I doubt EA, Activision, Ubisoft, or any other developer is gonna stop developing for the Xbox as that completely alienates half of their fan base.

But what do I know. Some on here clearly are more in the know of these backstage dealings than I am. I'm just speaking as a longtime gamer. As has been said, you can buy the thing and just ignore the Kinect and features and that's that. Or you can just move on and pick the PS4, no pun intended

The Xbox One's success doesn't hinge on the Kinect. I'm thinking it will quickly lose developer support and be all but forgotten except for some voice features that take longer to accomplish than just pressing the A-button. The OG Kinect is the least accurate motion control setup when compared to the Wii and PlayStation Move. Microsoft "borrowed" an idea from Sony's EyeToy along with the mini-game collection idea and the Kinect name itself. There was a game for PS2 called Kinetica. Coincidence? Hmmmm.....

I keep hearing people talking about using the voice control in the new Kinect and how you can alert zombies to your presence in Dead Rising 3 with it (for example). Wow...Rockstar only did that with the game Manhunt on PS2 back, what? 11 years ago?

And my experience with voice controls on the 360 was nothing but frustration as Shepard would randomly change his guns in a firefight in Mass Effect 3 for no reason. It took me awhile to figure out that the Kinect was picking up the voices from the game, output through my central surround speaker and interpreted it as commands to switch weapons. How fun! Kinect head tracking in Forza 4 did nothing but cause eye strain and was basically a joke.

People can say we have to give Kinect 2 a chance because technology has come a long way. Yeah, tech came a long way between Sega's 32X and Saturn, but the bad taste in gamer's mouth's from the former influenced heavily sales of the latter.

JoeDizzle33

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I disagree, with the PS4 being $100 cheaper and the specs being similar(despite the rumors of PS4 being better, the games that were shown look similar to me) Xbox One needs the Kinect to distinguish themselves. If Microsoft pushes developers to take advantage of the Kinect then I think Microsoft will eventually take over this generations console war. Found this article that shows the potential difference between PS4 and Xbox One versions of games. I know the article isn't confirming the inclusion of Kinect controls but its a good example of what developers can do that will separate the 2 systems. Kinect can and eventually will change the way we play games. This article is just an example.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/18/battlefield-4-for-xbox-one-may-get-kinect-based-look-controls/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flynempire