Screen protector or not?

StyxBoatman

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi all!

Just upgraded to the Idol 4S and up to now I'm REALLY enjoying it.

I did want the thoughts of the owners out there. As the title says, should I get glass/screen protector or not?

The main reason for the question is that I had to get a screen protector for my Band 2 after the first one I bought got a pretty noticeable scratch and I have no idea how/where/when since I baby my electronics.

With that previous experience how does this Dragon glass hold up? I really like the crispness of the screen without, so I'm also concerned about the possible deterioration of crispness/quality with a protector. For example, on my old Ativ, I had one, but eventually you could see scratches and dullness to the screen. I tried to remove it, but I decided not to due to the difficulty. It almost was like the protector was "fused" to the screen.

Anyway, would love to hear your thoughts!

StyxBoatman

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
Thanks! I really appreciate the responses!

I'll read the Liquid Glass review and take a look at the Mr. Shield link. A fried also said to go to a T-Mobile store and have them do it for me, that the one they use is pretty good. But honestly, I haven't had time to check it out.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Definitely get a tempered glass screen protector feels like the screen will easily break or scratch. Dropped my phone yesterday it hit the bottom of my car with my car door open and landed face down in the street. My tempered glass protector was on and it cracked my protector but when i removed it the phone was still fine. I'm almost sure if i didn't have it my screen wouldn't shattered

Sent from Idol 4s

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I placed the liquid glass on my IDOL, and then purchased a thin folding case which covers the screen as well. Haven't dared try the hammer test on it, though!

Applied qmadix and also dropped mine on the tile floor at my house. It survived!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I am still digging the heck out of my Qmadix Liquid Glass. Especially the no fingerprints deal. Screen protectors never did that for as long in my experience.

Dmd74

Mar 10, 2017
Visit site
I am still digging the heck out of my Qmadix Liquid Glass. Especially the no fingerprints deal. Screen protectors never did that for as long in my experience.

I really like the liquid glass. Assuming that it continues to hold up, I wonder why it isn't more prevalent.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Possibly the price? The anti-fingerprint properties alone are a great argument. I assume you saw my knife test video...

I think skepticism holds most users back though.

PFSP

Dec 8, 2016
Visit site
Possibly the price? The anti-fingerprint properties alone are a great argument. I assume you saw my knife test video...

I think skepticism holds most users back though.

Also can be that it is not removable. The process applied to the phone instead of case that I can remove if I don't like it. That combined with probably a little fear that the person may mess it up during the application process all can contribute to the lack of prevalence.

TunedM52

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
The Mr. Shield screen protectors are great, saved both my 950 and 950XL so many times when I dropped them and the just the protector shattered. However, the one for the 4S I can't recommend, simply because it won't adhere on both left and right side of the phone. The curve on the glass is too great for a flat piece of glass to stick to.

I found out that it's because they designed the screen protector for the android 4S, which has less of a curve on the screen. How do I know? I own both a Windows 4S and Android 4S and tried the Mr. Shield on both of them and only left it on the android.

You can see pics in my Amazon review, it's the topmost one.

Thinking about getting that liquid glass stuff for my Windows 4S, this thing is so fragile and I hate using cases!

TunedM52

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
Been about a month since I applied it to my surface pro 4 and idol 4s.

So yeah, I am starting to believe this is the real deal. Not a single scratch on my alcatel front or back, no fingerprints, but a whole lot more slippery especially on fabric. Probably won't survive a drop onto hard ground. However I don't throw my phone around or treat it roughly, tend to be a little more careful handling an expensive pocket computer, unlike some others. (I need to rant somewhere about all the cracked iphones I am seeing at work today, how do they deal with that?!)

Surface pro 4 screen looks pristine. I had a glass tempered protector on it before but it interfered with the touch so much to the point of having to remove it. Again, screen looks perfectly brand new. Smudges are greatly reduced, don't have to wipe the screen down every couple hours, looks like nothing is there, a fully clear protector.

Not sure what else to say.
I guess this is truly liquid glass, or at least a very, very good oleophobic coating. Definitely worth the money in my opinion, and this is 100% the way to go with the Idol 4S.

aj173

Jan 30, 2017
Visit site
I just threw a standard wet application film on mine. I've always been disappointed eventually with every glass screen protector I've ever owned, and I'm not convinced that they protect screens from breakage. When you drop a phone and the glass protector breaks while the screen doesnt, that just means that you dropped it hard enough to break the screen protector but not the screen itself. The only benefit I see with them is that they feel better than the wet application films.

Never tried the liquid glass though. What is that? Is it just a typical polyurethane coating?

TunedM52

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
Also to note, most Idol 4S glass protectors are designed for the android version which has a flatter screen. I own both variants and the dimensions and weight differ ever so slightly. The sides will not adhere.

A razor wouldn't damage most unprotected phone screens anyways. Check out JerryRigEverything on YouTube, he makes really informative videos about the durability of different phones with great precision.

Still pretty happy with the qmadix liquid coating. But i can tell it is going to wear off within a few months unfortunately. Still worth the cost, but a regular glass protector is still the way to go in my opinion, unfortunately not in the Idol's case though (or any curved screen for that matter).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium