SD card speed ?

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Basic question, can you tell the speed of an Micro SD card just by looking at it?

I met a mate last week, he had ordered a 128 G Micro SD card from Ebay for the princely sum of ?10 (I am guessing about $13). Working on the basis of, if it didn't work I have lost a tenner and if it does I have saved a lot of money.

His tablet it turned out only takes 32G so I said I would take it off his hands, any way plugged it into my Surface Pro yesterday and it wouldn't play ball, just spent 15 minutes trying it in my desktop and it wouldn't format, so I put it back in the Surface and it was picked up and formatted in a matter of minutes and it's now working fine in both Surface and desktop and seems fast after copying a few pictures.

When in the devices it says SD SDXC 124 G

On the disc it says Micro SD a small circle with a 10 on it and HC

Any way to identify it or easy way to measure it's speed ?

And I formatted it as exFAT.

If this all works out OK it's going in my 1520 to cope with my ever growing music collection as my current 32G is more than two thirds full.

banger696

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I think I got the same brand as you. Bought 64gb for a fiver and it has the 10 in a circle on it. Seller stated it was class 10. Be interesting to know if there is a test although my desktop adapter only works on XP and Im on win 8.1. What about a hard drive speed tester?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The Circle # indicates Class, which is the simplest and easiest metric for probable performance.

If you can hook it up right, I would use CrystalDiskMark to benchmark the card.
BUT make sure the adapter is faster than the card. I once benchmarked an SSD using USB 2.0, and I was quite baffled by the ridiculously slow result. (which mysteriously matched USB 2.0 speeds!)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SlimPulseWeightLoss