Security breach on lumia 640

Aditya Pamidipati

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
I have Lumia 640 with Windows 8.1

I have set screen lock with number pattern

I installed whatsapp and looks like everything is fine.

When my phone is idle screen gets locked. Only way is to use the key to unlock the screen to use the phone.

Defect I found is, when I get a call using whatsapp i can take the call but once call is disconnected phone remains unlocked with whatsapp app running

This is not the case with normal incoming call from a service provider

This is a major security breach on Microsoft Lumia 640 with windows 8.1

Thanks,

Aditya

Last edited by a moderator:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I don't think this is a MS's failure.

If true... It's definitely MS' failure!

You can't place the responsibility for security on the shoulders of app developers. Any security mechanism that isn't enforced by the OS will always crumble as soon as app developers get their hands on it. Preventing that, by enforcing security related rules, is one of the primary things an OS must do!

In this case, the OS must ensure that anything that can be used through the lock screen doesn't deactivate the lock screen.

Last edited:

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Skype does not remain unlocked and as WhatsApp should be using the same APIs, I find this odd.

Can someone independently verify this who uses WhatsApp?

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
So two first time posters are claiming a security issue.

If a > 200 poster confirms it, then I consider it confirmed as a security issue.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I have just tested this on W10M 10536, where I can't reproduce it.

While I can answer a WhatsApp call, the device remains locked before, during and after. If I can answer the call, I'd prefer the dialer to stay in the foreground so I can also hang up, but that isn't currently possible. I wouldn't consider this a huge deal however. The dialer just stays in the background, and remains there no matter how many times you tap the bar at the top. Only unlocking the device changes that.

The OP has reported this for WP8.1 however, which I can't test right now.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb