Shattered 920 screen after modest drop. Bummed.

madsedan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I may be jinxing myself but I've dropped mine a few times from chest height and nothing yet, no case either.
I've had phones like this a long time and only broken one and it was an iphone not in case dropped on a tile floor, its just bad luck from my experience. If it hits in the right spot it'll break, say 10% of the phone body might take a moderate impact that will shatter the screen, the other 90% will be a benign impact with nothing more than a scuff in the case, just luck.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Everyone drops their phone, unless they are working in a Nokia office!

@josephNoble, You can buy a new screen for less than $200. You should take better care of your phone. I partly agree that a lot of people drop their phones, I do it all the time. I dropped by HD7 and the screen shattered, then a week later after I got the glass fixed from a shop here in Seattle, i dropped it again, at least the phone only cost $75 to fix.

If you break your phone, you can send it to Nokia and they will fix it for $187 or something like that. It may take some time to get your phone back.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Slightly off topic here, but does anybody's 920 have dozens of tiny little scratches on the screen? They aren't gashes or anything, but when the phone catches the light just right, they shine for all to see. And if you are wondering, no, I've never dropped my phone. It stays in its own pocket or is on a flat surface 99 per cent of the time.

Mine has the scratches as well, I haven't dropped my phone yet. I used to abuse phones until they got to be expensive to replace. I now take much better care. A year ago, I dropped my HD7 twice on hard restaurant kitchen title, both times the phone shattered.... it happened within a 2 week period..totally sucked.

When I used to have a blackberry, those things were tanks... I would at least drop them a few times a day.haha

dacarter77

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I just dropped my phone from about 12" onto the garage floor (concrete). It landed face down flat, and shattered the screen. I do have it in a case, but the case doesn't seem to have helped.

Just watched a disassemble video and ordered a new screen, with adhesive and the 3 torx screw drivers needed. Doesn't look that hard and total cost with shipping is $83. Guess I get to carry it around in a zip lock for a while since shards of glass are falling out of it. It does still work though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nehalwadehra