Should Microsoft replace Internet Explorer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon(8730639)

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
IE throughout the years has become the worst browser around, and with good reason. In fact, if I hadn't experienced the Modern IE, I'd still think IE sucks. While the Modern IE has it's problems, it's a fairly good browser, almost as good as Chrome on Android. However, not everyone gives it a chance and having two versions of IE is confusing. What I think the best thing to do is to kill IE and make a better browser. IE could be the fastest, most powerful browser around and it still wouldn't matter since it's reputation has been tarnished so badly. Microsoft should make a new browser with all the things people want, a lot of add ons and apps that can be installed from the Windows Store to improve the experience, fast, one version that works well for everyone no matter if they're using touch or M+KB, a better look (the Modern one is fine but a little plain and the Desktop one is really ugly. Even something as simple as themes or allowing you to toggle on and off if you want to have it use your tile colors as its colors would be fine), and most importantly, a new name (something that doesn't have Internet or One in the name. I'm fine with the One everywhere, but web browsers with cool names like Chrome or Firefox make you want to use them more).

Do you agree that Microsoft should start fresh and kill IE or do you think IE should live on?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
No.. There really is no point.. IE will grow through WP and W8.1
The trust will return :) There already is an increase in IE usage :evil:
On top of that IE is very handy for devs.. The current version that is

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
There were plenty of instances in history where IE should have been killed. IE6 was a train wreck that did more to grow the adoption of Firefox than anything that the Mozilla Foundation could have done. Versions of 7 and 8 had their own problems, most notably where web pages would not easily render on these versions... they were even incompatible with themselves!

But Microsoft has turned the page on IE starting with 9. The newer versions of IE are much more standards compliant for developers, and are cleaner and faster for the end users. In some ways, such as the metro version of the browser on touch devices, IE already works much better than its competition.

There is no compelling reason for Microsoft to abandon IE and start over. Unless they switched rendering engines, such as to webkit (which I'd consider to be very unlikely), they'd end up building internet explorer again anyway.

Michael Dontigney

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
I think they should kill the desktop version and only launch the modern one. I have been a firefox or chrome user for years and recently just figured "I'll give IE a shot" after finding out there is no other alternative on WP and since I really like WP and will upgrade my Note 2 to a WP device, why not start using IE on my desktop? It took me a few clicks to realize... WTF? Two IE's? The desktop version seems dated and old... like a copy of firefox/chrome but it's still IE... the modern/metro version is SWEET even with a kb/mouse on a desktop PC. So, dump the dual IE and just launch the modern version that doesn't look anything like the old IE.

kb4000

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
I would be very upset if they killed desktop IE. That's my main browser. Modern can't do everything desktop can yet. I need windowed modern apps first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)