Should MS use an Upgrade Program?

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Yesterday, Apple announced a new system, where you pay a certain amount per month and you can get the iPhone 6S, and you get applecare+ on your phone if you drop it etc. My questions is, do you think that MS should use a similar system. Find out more about the Apple Upgrade System here

If you could pay X amount per month directly to MS and you got the latest MS Flagship device running W10 Mobile, as well as warranty support if you broke your phone, would you do it?

Leonel Funes

Windows 10 & Xbox Champion
Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
I'd go for it on day one! I have no plans of changing OSes any time soon (i.e. ever again), so I'll happily pay a bit every month to upgrade to Microsoft's latest and greatest.

Just 2 changes would be nice:
1. Can we keep our old phones? The article states that Apple would get the iPhone back when you upgrade. Can Microsoft let us keep ours? Even if it means a few more dollars monthly?
2. Can support be an option for us? "This program also includes AppleCare+, for support. This is important because iPhones are incredibly fragile and easily broken." That's not the story with our phones. We have some of the most rugged and long-lasting phones available, so perhaps give a discount to remove this service (and what we save can be used for the first change listed)?

I'm not sure if Microsoft (or Google) have plans to do something similar, but I wouldn't mind if they both go this route. It's a win-win for all!

Except perhaps carriers, but no one cares about them...

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I voted yes, but the "Where do I sign up?" part doesn't apply to me. I personally wouldn't use it, but I think that Microsoft should do something like Apple is doing.

Microsoft's upcoming disassociation with carriers is going to require financing of some sort. Without it, there is no way they'll sell any significant number of flagships.

One question I have is about the trade ins: I wonder what Apple intends to do with them. Sure, they can resell them, but that would probably cut into new phone sales. Maybe sell them to developing countries where iPhones don't sell well because of cost?

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
I was thinking about this it makes sense Microsoft has their own insurance anyway they could offer something similar

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
They don't release phones soon enough for this to even work. It'll be paid off before the newer generation arrives. :winktongue:

Yes I hadn't thought of this. Apple releases phones every year, like clockwork. Microsoft so far hasn't. Will they? Their entire mobile situation is currently somewhat tenuous. They don't even really want to be in the hardware business. If the OEMs take over, they might want to drop it completely.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
One question I have is about the trade ins: I wonder what Apple intends to do with them. Sure, they can resell them, but that would probably cut into new phone sales. Maybe sell them to developing countries where iPhones don't sell well because of cost?

Refurb and sell or refurb and give to people who come in with broken iPhones, pretty similar to what they already do now. They have these machines that can fix an iPhone in a hour, broken glass, digitizers, home buttons, power buttons etc. it's down to a science now.

Yes I hadn't thought of this. Apple releases phones every year, like clockwork. Microsoft so far hasn't. Will they? Their entire mobile situation is currently somewhat tenuous. They don't even really want to be in the hardware business. If the OEMs take over, they might want to drop it completely.

What amazes me is how Microsoft introduced open betas to the mobile world (although they did announce this years ago, but finally got around to it this year), and now Apple and Google does it. What really is amazing is, Microsoft hasn't shipped an actual product, just more open Betas. Apple has seeded the Golden Masters of iOS 9 already, with pre-orders this weekend, and actual products in weeks. What do we have from Microsoft? Renders?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077