Should we resist the Lumia Icon?

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Please tell me that you grasp the concept that the ICON will get 8.1.... The only difference will be the lack of on screen buttons.

Can you please tell me the date it will get 8.1? That is the problem right now, which device will get it first and will it be 6 months or more before the device I\you have gets it. The hardware is all pretty much the same with the newest lumia phones, it's software that will make the difference.

anon(5343177)

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Can you please tell me the date it will get 8.1? That is the problem right now, which device will get it first and will it be 6 months or more before the device I\you have gets it. The hardware is all pretty much the same with the newest lumia phones, it's software that will make the difference.

It will be very easy and free to get it via the MS Developers Program, even if Verizon is slow. I have no concern about getting 8.1 quickly for the phone.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Exactly one year from now:
"Is it worth getting the new WP8.1 phone now that Verizon is finally launching one? Or should I wait for WP8.2. I feel like it'll be better if I wait. I wish I had gotten a phone a year ago..."

JBConforti

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
If your not on Verizon I understand waiting for mwc. But if you're on Verizon there really isn't any point.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

husslord

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
If you want it, buy it! Take care of it! Then if something else comes out you just can't live without sell it! Its that simple. I hate people that ask if they should wait. The phone is future proof for at least two years. If your unhappy in four or six months just sell it and put that money towards another phone. I have done it a few times, no big deal. Better than just sitting on your hands and waiting and remember its not android its windows the battery will be fine! And it will get all the latest firmware updates.

Lnin0

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Verizon has never released a Windows Phone that hasn't been behind the curve. Verizon has always treated WP as a second tier behind the Apples and Androids. Verizon "supplements" the cost of phones and right now they have no interest in investing in a premium Windowsphone.

This is why Verizon doesn't care if their WP are late to the party and typically come with compromises. Lumina isn't just developing these phones in a bubble, especially the Verizon exclusives. They are working hand in hand with Verizon and I can guarantee the driving design factor is about cutting but not cutting edge. It's about cutting cost which very well may explain the Icon's battery. Unless its a phone Verizon can guarantee is bringing them new contracts like the iPhone, then their number one design goals are not with their customers in mind.

Avoiding Verizon's release of the icon won't bring you newer and better WP from Verizon. In fact, poor sales of the Icon will probably have the opposite effect. If you are a WP fan on Verizon then you are put between a rock and a hard place. You can either deal or get out one way or another. There is no good choice.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I can't tell you how many times Microsoft has said that all wp8 devices will get 8.1. Stop being ridiculous...

In theory, yes, all WP8 devices can run 8.1. However, for carrier branded devices it's ultimately up to the carrier and/or manufacturer whether or not to push it through. I'll be surprised if AT&T's 520 and even the 920 ever get official 8.1 from AT&T.

ajb1965

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm currently an Android user but seriously considering the Icon or another WP handset. My biggest problem with Icon is not WP, but VZW. The last two 'flagship' phones I bought there were less than stellar, and the support was almost non existent post purchase. The Thunderbolt had notorious battery issues and the DNA just did not live up to the hype, not to mention the horrendous Bluetooth connectivity and crap battery as well. VZW puts on a great show up front and sucked me in twice. This time I may wait it out a few weeks and see what the community thinks after a month or so.

Astropin

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Verizon has never released a Windows Phone that hasn't been behind the curve.

Lumina isn't just developing these phones in a bubble, especially the Verizon exclusives. They are working hand in hand with

It's about cutting cost which very well may explain the Icon's battery.

Behind the curve? In most respects the Lumia Icon is currently at the top of the charts for power & features.

What's a Lumina?

What's wrong with the battery? According to the tests it outlasts the top 2 phones currently in the market! (Galaxy S4 & iPhone 5)

IdemanEric

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Behind the curve? In most respects the Lumia Icon is currently at the top of the charts for power & features.

What's a Lumina?

What's wrong with the battery? According to the tests it outlasts the top 2 phones currently in the market! (Galaxy S4 & iPhone 5)

"Behind the curve" in the past was a problem with the platform also. No 1080p support and the benefits of WP being able to operate on "legacy internals" caused the manufacturers to save money by running on low spec handsets. Any business model that survives on being "inexpensive" is going to have a challenge when it comes to the competition... Unless price is your deciding factor.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans