Skype releases video message function, skipping windows phone (of course) and windows (unexpected).

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Still cannot understand the logic behind buying Skype for $8billion and letting them ignore your nascent mobile operating system and (now) flagship product.
By the way, the new function is available to mac, ios and android. Good work

sullibr01

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
Like everyone says, it doesn't make any sense unless they plan to bake Skype into the operating systems for Windows 8, RT, & Phone.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
It's a beta, not the final release. And windows does get it, just in the form of a link not the message. Which logic escapes me why they would do that.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
All I was saying was they can receive them, just in the form of a link, nothing more. Not that they could send them. And I don't see the logic behind it either.

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
i just read this earlier. microsoft has a real opprotunity to get skype really really right on windows i hope they dont squander it.

BeaverJuicer

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I expect, as somebody mentioned above, that this will be released to Windows users as a baked into OS functionality.

At least, I hope that is the case. I admit, I am having a hard time swallowing this one.

NokiaLover

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
No plan has been announced for Windows Phone but there are news release on others platform.
Windows phone's bubble is going to burst soon.
Great job MS.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't think this is as big of a conspiracy as some are making it out to be. Back in 2010 (pre-Microsoft) Skype hired a ton of iOS/Android developers. And considering that Skype continues to grow, I think it's safe to assume that Skype continues to maintain a sizable iOS/Android team of devs. Now cue Microsoft in 2011. Microsoft probably realized the growth potential of Skype and allowed that influx of iOS/Android devs to keep working. However, it doesn't appear that Microsoft built an equally sized Windows Phone team. You could argue that is a wise choice since WPs Skype usage absolutely pales in comparison to iOS/Android. That also means that the WPs Skype team is always going to lag behind the much bigger iOS/Android teams. The only question I have is why the Windows PC Skype team isn't the biggest one. Though I'd imagine they have their hands full with W8 Skype and WP7/8 Skype.

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
If WP fails and kills itself, it won't be because of consumers, carriers, OEMs or even competition. It will be only because of Microsoft

ballanda

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I could give 2 ****s about Skype. I don't use it. But this sends a very discouraging message to the entire WP user base.
MS better have some seriously amazing stuff for MWC. But even if they do, there better be actual release dates announced, and they better not be in ****ing October. Else, I see a SGS4 in my future plans.

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I could give 2 ****s about Skype. I don't use it. But this sends a very discouraging message to the entire WP user base.
MS better have some seriously amazing stuff for MWC. But even if they do, there better be actual release dates announced, and they better not be in ****ing October. Else, I see a SGS4 in my future plans.
I hear you brother. Except I'll be opting for iPhone or blackberry.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Happy