So after having a few hours at work to digest MS latest addition......

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I guess this could serve as an Open Letter to MS and any in the design team...........

So just before heading into work last night, the news drops Microsoft Band is the entry into wearable field. My first Gut reaction was that of total let down and disappointment. This is nothing new to my long years in the Microsoft Mobile/Handheld device user family.

All I can say is I feel left out in the cold.......again. As I have had time to stew on the News the Microsoft Band is basically a redesign of the Fitbit.

Yes people who are in to going to the Gym, Jogging, Cycling, Swimming for fun and fitness will eat the Band up like a new flavor of Candy.
For people into such things I am happy your needs will be met, and you will have bonus features of Bluetooth 4.0LE to interact with your phone no matter the platform.

I however come from a group of people who have no need of the Health options, or fitness tracking. Firstly I am an Old Fart now.....I haven't worked out since the last Football practice of High School, so I carry a few pounds extra now and smoke, drink coffee to excess, and enjoy my Bacon Cheese Burgers. I couldn't run to the end of my hallway without getting winded if my old broken down knees even let me run in the first place.

Secondly I am also old enough to remember having something that was rectangle shape on my wrist at the end of the 70's start of the 80's, the Speidel id bracelet.......(UGH) The Fitbit, The Band, and The Galaxy Sport Watch all remind me of these god awful things and they just don't hold any appeal to my mind set.

Microsoft has totally missed the mark with the Band for me, and I am sure a few 1000 others, who were in hopes a Watch would make it's long awaited arrival.

You have not given people any options here at all.... You've gone Function over Form. You have also just cut your nose off to spite your face with more then a few Loyal Windows Phone users. Of this I can be sure...........

First a little of my history.....

I started with computers way back in the day when Commodore Vic 20 was all the rage. Using it and an old school modem to access BBS with an old dial phone handset pushed into the modem. Loading a program from a Cassette Tape drive, also saving programs to tape....to use in the schools Commodore PET.

After a few years away I returned when Windows 95 was still a working O/S, and dial up had become so fast at 14.4k.

Not to long after I was introduced to the World of Windows CE. Windows CE and Pocket PC grabbed my imagination and I was hooked !!!!!! I tinkered and toyed with a Casio e125 and a Casio BE 300, Later a Toshiba E405.

About that time Pocket PC was set to come out on Compaq Ipaq's and a few other brand name devices made by a then little known company HTC....as HTC back then did not sell it's own devices.

I entered the world of GPRS GSM phone service with my Casio pair
Picture_008.jpg

This was almost 4 years before Apple launched it's original iPhone.

I was Windows Mobile before there ever was a Windows Mobile............However this led to my first big disappointment in the Microsoft Family.
When Microsoft and Casio had stated at a show that (full) Windows CE 4.0 .net would come to the BE300.......this never did come about, and what was released was a cut down, handicapped version of the .Net so called Updated.

So I moved to an Audiovox SMT 5600 ( HTC Typhoon ), running Windows Mobile 2003 SE....great phone that held up many years. Again never updated...until I found XDA forums and Windows Mobile 5.0. 6.1 and 6.5. All ran on the little phone that could. But 6.5 was indeed pushing it's limits of built in memory.

So at long last I joined the Smartphone age and entered with an HTC HD2. Just the best Handset made ever !!!!!!!! Raw power and an almost unbeatable ability to run ever thing going at the time.

That was my biggest let down by Microsoft...even though the Phone was proven able to run Windows Phone 7, Microsoft set a hard limit on the Windows Phone 7 and blocked the HD2 from moving up. The worst part was Microsoft outright sold false stories that the hardware could not run the O/S due to the chipset, then the RAM limit...which only looked worse when over at XDA the HD2 ran WP7, and ran it well !!!!!
In the end Microsoft even handed out Software Keys to people who called saying an activation key was required for it to Run.

Not kicked enough by Microsoft yet I then got a brand new HTC Radar that saw an upgrade to Windows Phone 7.5 from WP7.....and the rest of the story has played out here......we got Windows Phone 7.8 and many were hurt by the cutoff of no Windows Phone 8.

So now I sit with my Latest Windows Phone 8.1 Nokia Lumia 1020......and I think I am now at the end of the road......Honestly !!!!!

With the rumors out there that a Smart Watch was in the works, I have tried my best to stay loyal to the Microsoft Eco System.........however with all hope vanishing I am just gutted that there is no Watch Style wearable in the Microsoft Family.....and it looks as if there never will be one.

I think this is the straw that has broken the Camels back!!!!!!

After all this I can't be even 50% sure my Lumia 1020 will get the Windows 10 Upgrade, and I am not holding out hope any more for a smart Watch to come out any time soon.

So I guess Microsoft has left me no option.........Gaslxy S5 ( or Note 3) and a Moto 360 as my dream pair.........*sigh*

A long road always comes to and end sometime I guess.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft has been in a state of flux for the last year or two. Many decisions were made that probably were not the best for the long term. Things will stabilize and I think the seeds for a much more focused Microsoft have been planted.

But this is not a cult. Chose whatever devices make you happy. Your Microsoft account will be waiting for you if you ever come back.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
So its not for you, why the drama? Funny thing is it has a clock, notifications from your phone so you can ignore the other stuff but choose to throw a tantrum (Ok, I've thrown a few of my own but nothing on this scale). Should rename the site to Tantrum Central.....

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I think Microsoft was smart in this band/watch thing. Why release a watch if it would be a crummy product? The fact is, it would be a crummy product, because they all are. The Apple watch and the Moto 360 are the best efforts of major companies devoting energy to this, and they are limited in scope and the battery life is just plain awful. While the fitness band may not suit your needs, it may be a product that many will want. We will see.

The planned obsolescence is an entirely different subject. While we don't know details, I think the current WP8 phones will see WP10. It sucks to know that phones won't receive updates, but there are reasons besides "sell more phones" that companies choose to not update their products. They have to think about the quality of experience. Maybe some phones with WP7 could reliably update to WP8, but would run slowly and lag once they had the more robust WP8 OS on it. Or maybe the update process would have a significant chance of bricking during the update process. Not all business intent is sinister.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Loved your story. I, too, am an old FART. Had everything you had along the way including a 32 lb Compaq luggable that I lifted into airplane overhead bins more times than I want to remember.

Over the past 3 years, I have had about everything MS has offered; some things were good and some bad. I would say that MS seems to operate as a "cluster f***" company. Neither had knows what the other is doing.

Recently sold my ICON and left Verizon, a company that I had been with since 1995. Bought a Nokia 1520 on AT&T and love it. Since I don't exercise; other than memories of my wasted youth, I don't need a BAND either. I'm not sure that I need a Smart Watch but hell, don't know till I try one.

At any rate, do what makes you happy. I did the Android thing and hated every minute of it. I'm and old NC boy so Apple arrogance was a no go from the beginning. I'll stay around MS until it gets better or it goes away.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I don't think MS ever came out and said they were making a smart watch so I don't know why people had their hopes up in that regard.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I think Microsoft was smart in this band/watch thing. Why release a watch if it would be a crummy product? The fact is, it would be a crummy product, because they all are. The Apple watch and the Moto 360 are the best efforts of major companies devoting energy to this, and they are limited in scope and the battery life is just plain awful. While the fitness band may not suit your needs, it may be a product that many will want. We will see.

Spot on. Wearables are not going to thrive as a market with the kitchen sink approach. They'll suffer due to size, UI, and battery performance. I truly believe they'll have more broad appeal and acceptance with the targeted approach of products like the Band. There is just a better chance of reaching critical mass with a product like the Band than an Apple Watch, 360, or Gear.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
So its not for you, why the drama? Funny thing is it has a clock, notifications from your phone so you can ignore the other stuff but choose to throw a tantrum (Ok, I've thrown a few of my own but nothing on this scale). Should rename the site to Tantrum Central.....

Basically. Plus, the OP didn't even address two of the most important aspects. For the price point, the hardware in the MSB is superior. And most importantly, Microsoft Health isn't just some piece of software, it's an entire platform that can run on multiple products. AFAIK, no other competitor is offering anything close to that. It's like people forgot Microsoft is still a software company at heart.

hellboarder

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
My answer and lesson in life is, "Never judge a thing before you tried it!"

I just went to the MS store as I was looking for the kitchen sink device, the Fitbit Surge comes darn close but the Band, being an MS device and supporting any platform I might ever choose, just nailed it. I have been using a Nike+ GPS watch for the last few months and it was great, the only issues I found were: 1. It only works with Nike+ which is not supported on Windows Phone or Windows 8 (apart from browser), 2. You had to physically plug the watch in the USB port to sync and 3. No notifications from phone

I bought a band in medium and these are my impressions so far:

- extremely comfortable to the point where I can hardly feel its there (it takes time getting used to as the rigid top is quite wide, even though you don't feel it its still there :) )

- Notifications work like a charm syncing with my phone and are very readable, everything is customizable, from what is shown to changing the icons around to show first what you want

- touchscreen works very well

I cannot wait to get 3rd party support to see what other companies are doing.

Bottom line, if you are a MS geek/tech nerd and don't want to work out, just uninstall the workout, running apps and use the Notification Center integration, Cortana, Calendar, Texts, Phone Calls, Emails, Starbucks App for your "excessive coffee" intake. This thing is just plain awesome.

S640

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
...Bottom line, if you are a MS geek/tech nerd and don't want to work out, just uninstall the workout, running apps and use the Notification Center integration, Cortana, Calendar, Texts, Phone Calls, Emails, Starbucks App for your "excessive coffee" intake. This thing is just plain awesome.

This. I really don't care about much/any of the fitness stuff. Just turn it off and you're left with a slim, attractive band that costs $200 and gets 2 day battery life and performs all the standard smartwatch tasks, plus has some awesome extra functionality (Cortana!)

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

The planned obsolescence is an entirely different subject. While we don't know details, I think the current WP8 phones will see WP10. It sucks to know that phones won't receive updates, but there are reasons besides "sell more phones" that companies choose to not update their products. They have to think about the quality of experience. Maybe some phones with WP7 could reliably update to WP8, but would run slowly and lag once they had the more robust WP8 OS on it. Or maybe the update process would have a significant chance of bricking during the update process. Not all business intent is sinister.

As I said in my first post I am very sure that the Fitness buffs will eat this up. It will give them a host of data to chew on at the end of the day/week/month and help them reach goals.
If that is your thing more power to ya !! I hope any who wish such a thing all the happiness with what looks like a good Tool for fitness buffs. I mean WC news stories here tell it like it is....this is a Fitness Band plain and simple, with some added features. However it is not a Watch, and does not have a style that I would care to wear. Again I am not in with the Fitness crowd........I' outside having a Cancer stick. :excited:

However it offers no option to the less active, who could use a less robust time keeper with an actual Watch Face.

I have no idea why everyone thinks a Watch has to do a million and one things. No so much can be offloaded to a Phone as the phone usually has everything already.
Much like the Old SPOT Watches it would only need to display a small amount of information...Text alerts, Email Alerts, incoming call info, sure add in Cortana ability to do small reply, but most of Cortana's guts are already in the phone.

I also would not need to handle the call via the watch. You can indeed do more with less. Knock out the need to check heart rate and other health related items.

A simple thing that is a Watch first and a companion to a phone second, built with sub sets of items already in a Windows Phone. Take out silly things like a GPS you reduce power drain, as well as it does not need to be a speaker phone as the Phone works well as a speaker phone already.

Basicly to act like a phones second screen, with minor abilty for control a phone....now a battery that only goes a business day now reaches 2.

The point is options is what grab people.

Also as to the updates.....I have no idea why Microsoft keeps missing this trick, as do so many other people. Ever wonder why Apple lets older hardware join the party????

Here is the trick......I have watched this with each of my friends who fit into 2 groups in the Apple Camp. Group A The Tech Heads...the ones who run to stand in line the day Apple puts out a new phone, ready to lay down their cash as fast as can be.

Group B The I'll wait till I need a new phone group....they stay with in Apples hardware limit and download the Update day one of it's release......then slowly over the next month to 6 months realize.....Hummmmm Bill's New iPhone is much faster at doing ( Insert Task Here), then my 2 year old phone is, and out they go to find a sale on the new phone.

A company should always let the cattle decide when it is time to come in from the rain......that is the point of letting the consumer see iOS does indeed run slower on the 4S, so it's time I move up to a 5S or maybe a 6....or get the 6 when the 6S comes out.

This gives Apple sales in almost all Quarters of the year......not a bad trick really, and the buyer thinks they are still in control.

Last edited:

S640

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
However it offers no option to the less active, who could use a less robust time keeper with an actual Watch Face.

I have no idea why everyone thinks a Watch has to do a million and one things. No so much can be offloaded to a Phone as the phone usually has everything already.
Much like the Old SPOT Watches it would only need to display a small amount of information...Text alerts, Email Alerts, incoming call info, sure add in Cortana ability to do small reply, but most of Cortana's guts are already in the phone.

Have you actually even seen one? It has a "watch mode" option that keeps the time displayed on the screen. It also does all those things you talk about.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
SPOT watch were too young, Palm OS watches were way better! Thinking about the Fossil Abacus line in particular ..

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Have you actually even seen one? It has a "watch mode" option that keeps the time displayed on the screen. It also does all those things you talk about.

Yes I have seen the Band. Can you display an actual "Watch Face" on the Band???
No The Band is a Rectangle........The Band is the same style as the Fitbit.

Maybe these words escape the young.......Have you ever seen time on display that is not "Digital"??????

Watch Hands.....Watch Face.....Old School before Casio digital watches.

S640

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site

Maybe these words escape the young.......Have you ever seen time on display that is not "Digital"??????

Haha, if you want a round watch face then wear a real watch. Round smartwatches are kind of silly in that a round display isn't really ideal for displaying digital content, which is kind of the whole point of a smartwatch. Why deal with the disadvantages of a round display just to be able and pretend it's an old-fashioned watch?

Also, I don't think personal attacks are constructive. I get that you're upset that MS has wronged you by releasing a product that incorporates all the standard smartwatch features, excellent battery life, Cortana, top of the line health tracking hardware, and sells it at a lower price than competing products that do less, but there's no need to get snippy with people who aren't as put off by it as you are.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

This one's for you :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndycU_dUHNQ

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Haha, if you want a round watch face then wear a real watch. Round smartwatches are kind of silly in that a round display isn't really ideal for displaying digital content, which is kind of the whole point of a smartwatch. Why deal with the disadvantages of a round display just to be able and pretend it's an old-fashioned watch?

Also, I don't think personal attacks are constructive. I get that you're upset that MS has wronged you by releasing a product that incorporates all the standard smartwatch features, excellent battery life, Cortana, top of the line health tracking hardware, and sells it at a lower price than competing products that do less, but there's no need to get snippy with people who aren't as put off by it as you are.

Firstly how did I attack you?????

I was actually going funny not snippy.

Again, and this is now the 3rd time............ I am not against The Band. For any who want, this is a useful tool. ( Please read full posts)
This offers no Options for Style of Watch. I also do have a real Watch that I wear for special things. However being it was made in the 70's and I could never afford to replace it, it's not for work.

I mean even Apple is offering different versions of the Apple Watch, either for price or style.

Microsoft is offering 3 options........Large, Med, or Small Rectangle

When you have people who handle "Design" shape is not the issue at all......a little thought goes a long way.

81466d1411080219t-phpxoc4mh.jpg

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
This one's for you :)

I already checked that out.......I'm a simple factory worker, that watch yes is nice, but more for people with a Lear Jet on stand by.

Also this isn't fully even in Prototype, they are still looking for backers...and of course....something I have seen many time from a start up.....
Direct quote
"Kairos OS is made so that the watch can be compatible with Android, iOS and Windows Phone. We will also have SDKs for third party developers. BB 10 is not official yet, but we are looking into it."

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I already checked that out.......I'm a simple factory worker, that watch yes is nice, but more for people with a Lear Jet on stand by.

Also this isn't fully even in Prototype, they are still looking for backers...and of course....something I have seen many time from a start up.....
Direct quote
"Kairos OS is made so that the watch can be compatible with Android, iOS and Windows Phone. We will also have SDKs for third party developers. BB 10 is not official yet, but we are looking into it."

I liked the concept, not even sure if all of the features shown would be/could be realized.would wait for it come to market and see handon reviews, I know other watch companies are also working on similar concepts, I would be interested to have a device that looks like a real watch and provides little additional functionality.(not interested in having all features packed into that.)

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm with the same old fart crowd. I don't "work out", but with my job, I'm on my feet all day, and get a pretty good workout just doing what I do at work, and have recently had interest in the pedometer function of the Bing Health and Fitness app and the SensorCore in my 1520 (according to it, I walk an average of 8-9 miles a day!)

I like the look of the BAND though, and was thinking how cool it would be if those background/wallpapers could be replaced with custom ones.

Other than that, I'm with the OP on the "it reminds me of those calculator watches from the late 70s early 80s" and that goes for all recent and coming soon "wearables".

But my biggest gripe with this device, is thinking about how Microsoft spent so much precious time and resources working on THIS THING, instead of concentrating on getting a new flagship/hero phone out before Christmas.

I really hope the real "phone hardware division" (you know, those leftover Nokia designers, engineers and developers) have been hard at work keeping a secret on just as a surprising phone!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deryl McCarty