So end date looks set?

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
This has been known for about two years.
When was the last security update you received??
You sound like your phone will stop working, not so.
It will continue working till the battery won't take a charge.

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site

True, but it depends on how you define "working". MS has confirmed backend services (backups/restoring from backups, auto uploads, etc.) will be phased out starting early 2020. Who knows about live tiles as I'm guessing server side stuff for them will be shut down by the end of 2020. Apps are up to the developer but it's unrealistic to think they'll continue to work fine, especially since MS hasn't promised the Store will continue to work in any capacity. If a device is reset, you may be SOL to even install apps. The FAQ spells it out well and MS isn't misleading anyone: they recommend moving to Android or iPhone. I guess if you use the phone primarily for calls/texts/emails and an app or two you'll be fine but who knows what will suddenly stop working. As someone who is still using a 950XL, it saddens me but I'm planning on switching in October/November.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys

Not sure if this has been reported yet, but I found that our beloved 950 and 950 xl wilol cease to get security updates in Dec 2019..

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/18/...hone-windows-10-mobile-end-of-support-updates

Anyone, apart from me, still using their 950 as their Driver...

It'll be a sad day..

It's been sad for years now, but I'm a true, still-strong/satisfied 950 die-hard. Most of the relatively few apps we had have been gone; even some Microsoft apps have been weakened or dropped. The most fundamental things are still reliable, including Hello, phone, texting, mail, OneDrive, maps, camera, etc.; BUT, it will be the likely loss of background backups that will, by itself, finally make me fold my hand.

But, I'm a nevertheless-wise die-hard and I've been prepared since last year when I purchased a Sony phone, learning the basics of the OS and the Microsoft Launcher. I'm absolutely not impressed with either, compared to what I've had, though I am impressed with how Sony and Microsoft do update these basics so promptly and effectively.

HerronScott

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
This has been known for about two years.
When was the last security update you received??

I get security updates on my 950 monthly (along with same for Word, Excel and PowerPoint - which are just about the only app updates).

April 2019 update information here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4495357/april92019kb4495357osbuild15254560

I'm getting ready to move to Android here with my work phone as my 2 year contract is up. Still love the UI but miss the apps as the ones I've used have one by one gone away.

Scott

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
True, but it depends on how you define "working". MS has confirmed backend services (backups/restoring from backups, auto uploads, etc.) will be phased out starting early 2020. Who knows about live tiles as I'm guessing server side stuff for them will be shut down by the end of 2020. Apps are up to the developer but it's unrealistic to think they'll continue to work fine, especially since MS hasn't promised the Store will continue to work in any capacity. If a device is reset, you may be SOL to even install apps. The FAQ spells it out well and MS isn't misleading anyone: they recommend moving to Android or iPhone. I guess if you use the phone primarily for calls/texts/emails and an app or two you'll be fine but who knows what will suddenly stop working. As someone who is still using a 950XL, it saddens me but I'm planning on switching in October/November.

Having now read that FAQ, the only thing that concerns me is the photo upload service. Manually copy over photos will be dumb.

As for security updates: meh. As a rarely used mobile platform it's far more secure than android or ios. App settings backup? Takes about an hour to set up a new rebooted OS. No big deal. Store will work, apps will work. If blackberry is anything to go by, apps may depreciate after the deadline. A few years afterwards, things might be too bleak to continue. At a guess, based on my BB OS experience, it won't be until about 2021 or something where you'll really HAVE to move on.

Personally I'm putting it off longer. I want a decent camera, and a low expense. I also want a de-googled android phone with MSFT added back in. In a few years I can pick up a refurbished device that perfectly meets those needs. Right now I have other expenses.

The beauty is, the phones being released right now, can't really be improved upon much. They are fast, have plenty of storage, and great cameras; even in the mid range. Baring some unforseen technological break through, refurbished will be fine.

I'd almost get a keytwo as a replacement, but a) google b) camera sucks. I do like the hardware keys. Still faster accuracy than touch keyboard, after many years practice.

The windows 10 mobile world won't end 2019 december. It'll be a slow decline after then. And unlike BB OS, windows 10 proper still exists, so there will probably be useable app support for many, long after when bb10 became a walking corpse. Could be still fairly useable in ten years for all I know, simply due to the cross compatibility with windows 10. I think that'll mainly depend on whether MSFT keeps the store compatible (although I guess you could side load, that'd be a pain).

*Sidenote, probably looking at the xiaomi pocophone f1. It's supported by lineageOS, so I run it totally googleless, add in microsoft launcher, cortana etc, it's cheapish and has a good camera. It'll no doubt be available refurbished in about a year. And that or something like it can be my last smartphone until smartphones die/evolve into something else. I'd actuallly love a smart feature phone funnily enough. I don't need much, maps, browser, music. Extra battery and sturdiness would be a killer. But the nokia banana phone is a t9, and has a **** camera.

Last edited:

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Having now read that FAQ, the only thing that concerns me is the photo upload service. Manually copy over photos will be dumb.

As for security updates: meh. As a rarely used mobile platform it's far more secure than android or ios. App settings backup? Takes about an hour to set up a new rebooted OS. No big deal. Store will work, apps will work. If blackberry is anything to go by, apps may depreciate after the deadline. A few years afterwards, things might be too bleak to continue. At a guess, based on my BB OS experience, it won't be until about 2021 or something where you'll really HAVE to move on.

Personally I'm putting it off longer. I want a decent camera, and a low expense. I also want a de-googled android phone with MSFT added back in. In a few years I can pick up a refurbished device that perfectly meets those needs. Right now I have other expenses.

The beauty is, the phones being released right now, can't really be improved upon much. They are fast, have plenty of storage, and great cameras; even in the mid range. Baring some unforseen technological break through, refurbished will be fine.

I'd almost get a keytwo as a replacement, but a) google b) camera sucks. I do like the hardware keys. Still faster accuracy than touch keyboard, after many years practice.

The windows 10 mobile world won't end 2019 december. It'll be a slow decline after then. And unlike BB OS, windows 10 proper still exists, so there will probably be useable app support for many, long after when bb10 became a walking corpse. Could be still fairly useable in ten years for all I know, simply due to the cross compatibility with windows 10. I think that'll mainly depend on whether MSFT keeps the store compatible (although I guess you could side load, that'd be a pain).

*Sidenote, probably looking at the xiaomi pocophone f1. It's supported by lineageOS, so I run it totally googleless, add in microsoft launcher, cortana etc, it's cheapish and has a good camera. It'll no doubt be available refurbished in about a year. And that or something like it can be my last smartphone until smartphones die/evolve into something else. I'd actuallly love a smart feature phone funnily enough. I don't need much, maps, browser, music. Extra battery and sturdiness would be a killer. But the nokia banana phone is a t9, and has a **** camera.

Not google-less, alas, but I can recommend the LG V20 which includes priorities we share: nice cameras, low-expense, very-rare replaceable battery, and an aluminum back. These and other treats can ease the Android pain that will be.

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Two experiences recently:

1. Saw a review where someone noticed this new update on Android where you can set the accent color throughout the Android OS... ok... welcome to Win mobile years ago...

2. Had to charge my phone and asked a friend at work for a USB-C connected charger. "Haven't seen one." he said. I saw a pad and asked "Hey, is this a wireless charger?" Him: "Yeah, that's for iPhones though." Me: "Yeah, I think not..." After which I plopped my phone on the pad and it started charging. All the iPhone and Android people were staring at it in disbelief.

Not long after I asked a buddy what his little extra device was. It was an external battery pack for his iPhone. "Why don't you just get another battery?" I asked... You know what the response was. Me: "Yeah, I just went on Amazon and got a new one, larger capacity, for like $15 shipped. Phone was like new again."

I swear to god; I keep seeing a bunch of new features and people complaining about iOS or Android and I just wonder what would have happened if people had opened their minds a bit and embraced these phones and if that dolt leading Microsoft had invested seriously in them...

Moving to Android is going to be seriously annoying. Only recent issue I've had other than new apps not coming to us is T-mobile won't connect me on LTE any longer, only the slower "4G" network....

Anyway, they can pry this phone out of my cold dead hands...

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Two experiences recently:

... if that dolt leading Microsoft had invested seriously in them...

Great experiences for sure, and they did give up on a superior platform I still use. BUT, that "dolt leading Microsoft" you are referring to, did invest seriously and remarkably-well enough to turn Microsoft into what is now the largest company by market cap. It's the dolt buddies of ours buying up inferior phones that were the problem. A Nation of Sheep... still and then some.

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Yes, you're right. I guess my gripe - other than that people are sheep - is that I think MS could have spent more and better and had its cake and eaten it too. With a strong presence in the mobile phone space it'd be easier to get people into the cloud services (etc) that MS is making most money in.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb