So Google said they are shutting down google reader

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
This totally sucks. So, as far as server-based syncing, cross-platform RSS management alternatives to Google Reader we have Feedly and NewsBlur? That's it? *sigh* Well, I'll figure a way to make do with one of them. Too bad GR is getting the ax. That was the only reason I kept my Google account open.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I hope Google discontinues Search next. Or maybe Google Apps.

Google Reader was the absolute killer at searching across all craigslist forums for a certain car via searchtempest. It allowed people to zero in and save boatloads of cash. I don't think any other site can replicate that workflow. Anyone notice how Google is killing all the altruistic services that made them great? Don't Be Evil is over.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Another thing that somehow is getting lost in the shuffle: Google is shutting down their CalDAV API... you know, the thing that everyone was championing as a triumph of open-source standards when they made the decision to kill off EAS for Gmail.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
MS should come out with its own platform and start a new scroogled campaign. Especially with the large number of clients that use Google Reader as their backend. Sadly I doubt MS will do this.

Its the backend stuff that made Google Reader great and essential

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
MS should come out with its own platform and start a new scroogled campaign. Especially with the large number of clients that use Google Reader as their backend. Sadly I doubt MS will do this.

Its the backend stuff that made Google Reader great and essential

Keep an eye on Weave, they have near term plans to release a cloud synced solution (MS Azure) of their reader platform that will allow for logins via Facebook, Twitter, Google, or MS accounts.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Weave is obviously the most attractive solution, but there is no way to sync between web/phone/tablet etc. which is the main reason I stuck with GR.
Also, Weave limits us to 100 feeds, which is bogus, because I have well over 100, so I cannot even use Weave without deleting some.

Most web based rss managers are awful, and come with a fee when you subscribe to so many feeds. I don't want to have to pay. I would I guess if I found one worth paying for though.

Other apps do work without GR sync, but as mentioned, we want a central hub for managing feeds that allows syncing between all devices that we use to read rss.

Hopefully someone can step up and make us happy.

They have a W8 client coming for sure I know. Not sure about any other changes, besides the cloud syncing I mentioned above. I know for some the 100 feed limit can be restricting, not sure if that is something that they will bend on or not with future releases of the product.

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
This is one reason I avoided Google Reader for so long, they shut anything down that doesn't give them enough advertising revenue; I love the way it synchronises across different accounts though.
Seeing as Outlook has the ability to collect RSS feeds I'm surprised that no readers allow you to use the feeds from it; I've always found that odd. Microsoft have the technology but even their own products don't let you sync to the cloud and read feeds on different devices.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Another thing that somehow is getting lost in the shuffle: Google is shutting down their CalDAV API... you know, the thing that everyone was championing as a triumph of open-source standards when they made the decision to kill off EAS for Gmail.
WTF? So what is google using for its calendar sync, carrier pigeons? This bucket of tools....

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
WTF? So what is google using for its calendar sync, carrier pigeons? This bucket of tools....

Sorry, I wasn't specific enough, I meant that they are shutting it down to non-whitelisted developers.

CalDAV API will become available for whitelisted developers, and will be shut down for other developers on September 16, 2013. Most developers’ use cases are handled well by Google Calendar API, which we recommend using instead. If you’re a developer and the Calendar API won’t work for you, please fill out this form to tell us about your use case and request access to whitelisted-only CalDAV API.

Since I posted that first comment though, Mary Jo Foley at Zdnet published an article about this issue:
Google, however, confirmed this will not impact the agreement with Microsoft and that the Softies will still be able to implement CalDav support on Windows Phone.
Microsoft in the clear to add Google CalDAV support to Windows Phone | ZDNet

kishorekumar_a

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site

Dileu

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
They may not have displayed ads, but when you think of Google, it's important to realise that EVERYTHING they do is about building up as detailed a profile of you as possible so that it can then serve ads. Knowing what you read and what you are interested in, and how those habits and trends play out over time, sure is nice data for that profile for when they DO serve ads elsewhere in their "ecosystem".

Last edited:

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Feedly is great except that it doesn't exist for WP8.

No, but they're planning on transferring people over to Feedly's new back-end in July when Google shuts theirs down, and then it's only a matter of time before NextGen or someone else tweaks their WP8 client to work with Feedly. I'm hoping the onslaught of new users to Feedly will generate enough interest for them to write their own WP8 client.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
it's only a matter of time before NextGen or someone else tweaks their WP8 client to work with Feedly.

Yeah, every Reader client has to now be changed to use a new backend. I'm sure each service will end up being covered by at least one Windows Phone app, whether you want to use Feedly, or whatever Digg says they're coming up with, or Newsblur, or whatever.

iHuGi

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Time for microsoft to make their own one. Mail, People, Calendar, SkyDrive, and now... READER!!! Haha, maybe. Lets hope so.

Why dont you use Twitter ? i just use Twitter for news feed :D

Mail - Outlook is Perfect. People Hub is Perfect. Calendar is horrible never seen anything so bad, its Hotmail calendar, awfull. Skydrive is amazing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifeca1295