So is the Lumia 1020 obsolete now?

Technoloay

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
You'll get a 41 Megapixels camera with a year-old processor and specifications in general.
Don't forget that the 1520 has a full HD; Quad core processor etc.

Why should anyone consider the 1020 over the 1520? "The camera" -- I know but the guts are old (not necessarily a bad thing).. it's like a 920 with an excellent camera..
The 1020 isn't even released in my country..

Like it's not that the 1020 is a bad phone; but with GDR3 and better internals support, all 92X will be obsolete..

EDIT: Okay. Obsolete is definitely the wrong word in this case, and the Lumia 1020 currently IS the best Windows Phone out there. What I'm saying is when the rumored Lumia 1520 with GDR3, quad-core processor and Full HD screen is announced, it will make the infant Lumia 1020 and the 925 the mid-range devices instead of, well, the 820 and 720 etc. Maybe because it's a 'phablet' it won't.

What do you think?

Last edited:

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
What is obsolete? It means that the device in question can no longer perform its intended function. I love it when people say, "My computer is obsolete," and I learn (or already know) that all they do is surf the web and email. A Windows 98 computer will do most of that. Obsolete is a matter of what you want to do with a device, not whether something better is available.

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Oh yeah.. the 1020 is obsolete.. sure...

I am hating it every time I use it and am wondering if there is something newer and better ahead...

Last edited:

yly3

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
The 1520 has a "normal" 20mp camera.
Nokia wasn't that stupid to release another 41mp just 3 months after.
The 1520 is a phablet anyway. I wouldn't get a 6" even if it had 80mp

Technoloay

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
The 1520 has a "normal" 20mp camera.
Nokia wasn't that stupid to release another 41mp just 3 months after.
The 1520 is a phablet anyway. I wouldn't get a 6" even if it had 80mp

In one of the leaks, there was the dual capture option like in the 1020; but 16+5 not 34/38+5. Even if it has the oversampling tech, it won't have a xenon flash anyways; nor a large sensor; so no it isn't meant to be a camera phone like the 1020..

Thanks for clarifying some points everyone :)

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Not all. The price point is another thing. The 1020 and 92X will probably be cheaper which makes them far from obsolete. My wife got her iPhone 4 when both the 4S and 5 were available because it was cheaper. And it makes calls and does email and downloads apps just like any other phone. She doesn't consider it obsolete and considers anything more too expensive and unnecessary.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Yes, the 1020 will no longer be supported when the 1520 launches, apps wont be developed for it, apps wont be updated, the search function will go inactive.

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
No it is not obsolete. There is always going to make a better phone made at some point. What, did you think they were going to stop making new phones and produce the 1020 forever?

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Obsolete has multiple meanings:

a : no longer in use or no longer useful <an obsolete word>
b : of a kind or style no longer current : old-fashioned <an obsolete technology>

In both meanings, much is left to individual interpretation and the word is generally not used in a black and white way. There's a spectrum of obsolescence. People tend to use the word subjectively and choose to consider something as obsolete when doing so suits their wants, needs, and/or situation.

In an objective comparison of the 1020 with other phones in its class, I think it would be difficult to argue that it possesses any significant degree of obsolescence at this point.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
To answer the OP's question, um... No. Why would you think it's obsolete just because a new phone is coming out? The 920 isn't obsolete either. It's just a different option for a different set of people.

lantern20

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
The day a new device comes on the market it is obsolete. There is always something better coming along and there always will be. The 1520 just expands the Lumia line which will range from the 520 ---> 1520 they want to cover all the bases & price points.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
In the mind of the average, uninformed consumer the latest model makes everything else obsolete. Someone currently shopping for a Lumia phone is going to consider the 925, not the 920, even though they're nearly identical. What's actually inside these phones is irrelevant. The 1520, however, is a bit of a special case because it will be such a large phone, placing it in a different class of device. In fact, I think the impressive camera of the 1020 is largely irrelevant too. For most people, that phone also gets lumped in as a 920 successor that happens to be too expensive to consider.

This is one of the reasons I think it's a big mistake for Nokia to release so many phones. I largely keep up on what Nokia's up to and I'm confused by all the versions, there's no hope at all for your average consumer. All those devices and announcements are not helping the brand at all. Hopefully Microsoft will bring some sense to the lineup. And hopefully they'll put an end to this idiotic 6-month release cycle. Like I said, for the average consumer the actual hardware is irrelevant. In their minds new is better. So the other side effect here is that people are buying phones that get replaced within 6 months, leaving people feeling abandoned. Again, whether that's true or not is irrelevant because perception is what counts.

From an actual hardware perspective, Lumia 920/925/928/1020 internals were already on the tail end of the current generation back when the 920 was released last year. Now they're clearly last gen, barely qualifying as mid-range in Android. Even last year's iPhone 5 was more powerful than the Lumia 920 in most categories. However, that enabled Apple to release the iPhone 5c this year, running identical hardware, with the confidence that it's still a viable platform. And they're going to make a killing on it because all they've done is repackaged last year's phone in a shell that's even cheaper to manufacture. But it sure helps that they haven't muddied the waters. Three phones and the confidence that Apple isn't going to spring a new device on you 6 months from now, rumors notwithstanding.

majortom1981

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
As of right now no rumours point to the 1020 being obsolete. the 920 refresh will most likely have the same 20 megapixel to 5 megapixel camera that the 1520 will have. The 1020's camera wont be obsolete until a true 1020 successor is released.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Wasn't there already a thread asking if the Lumia 1020 was going to be considered obsolete when the 1520 comes out?

Let's put it this way:

Was the Galaxy S3 obsolete when the Galaxy Note 2 came out? How about the Galaxy S4? Will it, too, be obsolete when the Note 3 is released?

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Uh no

Both are niche devices. One is for people that want a good camera, the other is for those that want a big phone

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OFFSET