So no FM Radio? Now what?

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I have an HTC 8X (Windows Phone 8) and it does not have an FM tuner. My old HTC HD7 did have one. I like to listen to FM radio, especially KCRW and KLOS (both LA stations). While both stations offer live streaming through the internet, WP8 still doesn't support Flash so I can't stream through Internet Explorer. The only solution is to use IHeartRadio.

Note to the dumba$$ who asked if people still listen to FM radio, yes plenty of people do. BTW, radio is extremely useful in disasters, when your cellular network may go down. I listened to news updates once when a wildfire knocked out a ton of services in my area (FM was still broadcasting).

He's not a dumba$$. Most people under 50 years old don't bother with broadcast radio anymore because the quality of the programing is crap compared to just about any other source.

I live in Florida, so we have hurricanes here, but I have yet to lose cellular access or data during one, even Katrina and Wilma. But in the rare instance there is an emergency I have a radio in my car and an emergency radio.

Would I like one in my phone? Sure, why not? Do I miss it? No, I couldn't care less.

Marcos Hidalgo

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I really miss FM radio on my HD7. U would listen to NPR or BBC in my walk to/from school. Yes there are apps that stream but there are some really bad dead spits around campus where there's little to no data so streaming is not much of an option. End if the day I wish I had an fm tuner.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

DarthVeda

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
FM Radio is big in India..and would be in most of the developing countries, I can't understand why it would be there in WP7.x and not in WP8

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
FM Radio is big in India..and would be in most of the developing countries, I can't understand why it would be there in WP7.x and not in WP8

That's true, and all of the Asha series phones, which were specifically designed with India in mind, have FM radio if I'm not mistaken.

I'm not quite sure why they left it out either. The only possibilities I can think of is that either the software end wasn't ready for WP8, or the OEM's wanted to remove the FM radio hardware to save space and make room for other components.

EnolaB29

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I never understood why people want FM tuning on their phone or MP3 players... Almost every radio station on the planet now streams via web or app their live radio feed. I like listening to AM radio but don't complain that my phone doesn't have an AM tuner.

Just stream it.

I can understand why you don't understand. You are probably living in the US and you are so spoilt, you don't even realise it. I live here in south africa. My cellphone reception is so bad, I cannot even make proper phone calls, let alone streaming data! So just stream it is not an option for me (even tough I would love to stream it).

Bicpug

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
There does seem to be a prevailing attitude here of I'm alright jack, screw the rest. FM radio was very useful to those without access to massive data allowances and those who live in places with poor digital reception.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria