So what would you like to see in Surface Pro 5?

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I think Microsoft should come out with three separately designed lines of Surface tablets targeting different use scenarios, each allowing for RAM and drive configuration:

1. Entry level line based on Intel Atom: basic tablet for browsing and reading, etc.
2. Mass-market line based on Core M with fanless design: adequate for most users replacing a laptop
3. High-level line for users with demanding needs.

Already have it...they just need to ditch i5/i7 and fully expand M selection in SP line, more RAM/Drive space in SB line..done

1. Surface #
2a Future Surface Phone #
2b. Surface Pro #
3. Surface Book #

m4600

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Already have it...they just need to ditch i5/i7 and fully expand M selection in SP line, more RAM/Drive space in SB line..done

1. Surface #
2. Surface Pro #
3. Surface Book #

I disagree. Surface Book is a totally different animal. Not a substitution for SP4, in my opinion.
I would consider SB if it was more usable without its base: had more ports and way better battery life.
I don't want to carry the base when I travel. The SP4 on the other hand is perfect for traveling when you need a high-end device on the road.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I disagree. Surface Book is a totally different animal. Not a substitution for SP4, in my opinion.
I would consider SB if it was more usable without its base: had more ports and way better battery life.
I don't want to carry the base when I travel. The SP4 on the other hand is perfect for traveling when you need a high-end device on the road.

And how are you disagreeing LOL? You realize there are better M-core processors right (for demanding needs) on SP? Only selection with a fan/dGPU i-power cpu option should be Surface Book.

Think of it ...they can max out M-core design on Surface Pro and do so much more than trying to throw the wrong processors in the form factor. Make it happen Microsoft!

m4600

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Think of it ...they can max out M-core design on Surface Pro and do so much more than trying to throw the wrong processors in the form factor.

Fanless design means throttling at heavy load.

That's why I would prefer they split the Pro line into two separate lines: the high-end line with i5/i7 for those who are ready to tolerate occasional fan noise as a trade-off to achieve the best performance, and a mainstream line based on m3 and m5, with fanless design for those who rarely run anything CPU/GPU intensive and are not affected by throttling.

And as I already explained I don't see SB as a replacement for high-end SP4. SB is intended for a different use scenario: as a laptop primarily, only occasionally as a tablet.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Fanless design means throttling at heavy load.

That's why I would prefer they split the Pro line into two separate lines: the high-end line with i5/i7 for those who are ready to tolerate occasional fan noise as a trade-off to achieve the best performance, and a mainstream line based on m3 and m5, with fanless design for those who rarely run anything CPU/GPU intensive and are not affected by throttling.

And as I already explained I don't see SB as a replacement for high-end SP4. SB is intended for a different use scenario: as a laptop primarily, only occasionally as a tablet.

i5 and i7 don't throttle too? Under heavy load?

m4600

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
i5 and i7 don't throttle too? Under heavy load?

My understanding is that the i7 model has no thermal throttling at all. The fan is fully capable of preventing it.
There is power throttling for some odd reason. That can probably be avoided in a future design.

I don't believe that a true high-end SP5 can be designed without a fan and I wouldn't want to see Microsoft sacrifice the high-end performance in favor of a fanless design. On the other hand, (as you correctly keep pointing out :) ) the fanless m3/m5 CPUs provide sufficient power for majority of users who don't run very demanding apps all the time. That's why I advocate splitting the Pro line into two. Something that Microsoft attempted with the m3 unit, but didn't go all the way: they have just thrown the m3 CPU in the Pro case instead of redesigning the case for the m3/m5 line.

v535

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
I don't have a SP but I hope there will be zero issues as SP4 had. Atleast people who faced these issues will be happy.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
its a fact of life on ultra-thin devices...dongles are here to stay...get with the times. Or don't.

Dongles ..You use them when you need , have them in the small lightweight microfiber lined bag (with storage pouch ) when not using and put your SP away each time in the same bag, no loss of "portability". My dongles (USB3 4 port, 1GB Ethernet, VGA, HDMI, Surface Pen, BT Mouse and male to male HDMI extension as the dongle is female) may be attached about 35% of the time...65% I'm dongle-less/penless.I use the mouse 99% of the time.

Your solution is to make it thicker with a gaping hole in the side...not really the future and seems like a laptop or no-surface may be a better choice if you are anti-dongle. They are never going to put tons of ports on the Surface so most people will carry at least one dongle..you carry one you carry them all. Not that hard to see that is the way this goes..so deal with it.

I have to call your Ethernet suggestion as not a good idea..and this is coming from someone who had Ethernet on his Vaio and used it a lot . Its about trrade-offs in the end and accepting change.

There are many ultrabooks that have solved this issue. A flap that folds out to allow the Ethernet to be plugged in and when closed the "huge hole" is the size of a USB port.

The thread is asking what would you like to see, this is my wish. Sorry for having a different opinion. The less i have to rely on a dongle the better, as i don't like to carry my travel case with me as I interface with different devices that require Ethernet to configure.

eran says

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
Love the sp4 and I haven't had most of the issues that I see a lot of other users having. That being said, if you're not getting better, you're getting worse:

1. Can always use better battery life.

2. A little more bass in the speakers would be nice.

3. Stiffer kickstand or ability to lock the kickstand in place, and the ability to use the type cover when physically disconnected from the tablet. Very handy for Photoshop.

4. Ability to connect an Xbox controller without a dongle or cable.

5. Full customization of hardware when purchasing. For example, the ability to buy an i5/16gRAM/1TB SSD, or an i7/4gRAM/128g SSD.

6. Pen tip kit would be included in the box and not an add-on.

7. More of an Xbox issue, but the ability to cast screen to xbox without having to buy a wireless display adapter.

8. Longer charging cable and full SD card support. Maybe even wireless charging?

All for under 250 dollars haha!

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
7. More of an Xbox issue, but the ability to cast screen to xbox without having to buy a wireless display adapter.

You can do this by loading up an app, i forget what it's called right now. Microsoft cast? The only issue is you have to load this app on your xbox before you try to connect to it via the SP4.

wilson_smyth

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
if they iron out the problems with the pro 4 id be happy:

-sort out the sleep issue, so it actually sleeps and doesnt eat 25% of the battery when "sleeping" for a single night.
-sort out the wifi issues with HyperV so i can have both on the same device. perhaps make a HyperV lite, that doesnt ask for the wifi card to be on at full power all the time. its hyper v on a surface, not an enterprise level server, im ok with wifi not on all the time in my VM's!
-sort out edge and mail so they stop crashing and causing graphics card issues. Right now my mail app wont even open. hopefully a reboot will sort that out.
-sort out the graphics card issues so that it runs without issue.
-sort out issues with scaling. i had to use IE with some old legacy sites and occasionally text and buttons are so small you cant even read the text.

Those are the issues ive had with my surface in the past 3 weeks, if they were sorted out, who needs much else in the next device!

rocketboy

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
If current competition in the space continues with Windows OEMS and Apple iPad Pro continues then the SP5 needs to come with a 8GB RAM default and the type cover at the $1000 price point. I don't want the device to be thinner at the 12.x" size since it wouldn't improve battery life. For the same reason I don't want the pixel density to get any higher than what's on the SP4. It's high enough already. For god's sake make the cord with the AC plug longer!

Also, have the SP5 be able to take the SB keyboard with dedicated GPU as an accessory (in effect turning it into SB2).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigorplux