So, who is ditching Microsoft and moving with Nokia to Android??

Minh Junior Dinh

Dec 21, 2016
Visit site
QFT.

I am intrigued by Nokia/HMD's new device and I may or may not pick one up (depending on price and availability) but there's no way I'd jump ship from one platform to another because of the Nokia brand.

Like a lot of people here I own and use both Apple and Microsoft devices and services so I can't see why that cannot or does not apply with WM and Android. As a matter of fact I'm (still) looking at buying an Android device to be used mostly as a self-introduction to the OS and maybe as a backup phone too. When I do pull the trigger I won't be abandoning WM.

On a brief tangent, I'm tossing up between the Alcatel Pop 4, Pop 4 Plus and the recently announced A3 XL. However, availability is a bit of an issue in Australia.

Yay! I found someone that also lives in Australia. How's the weather from where you are?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
After reading this, http://www.dailydot.com/debug/android-phone-hacked/ I'm in no rush to go to android. Especially the bit that says"If you do suspect that your Android phone has been hacked, a factory reset may be the only option. But in many cases, it won't work. The only course of action is then is to shut off your Android phone, change all the passwords to your necessary accounts, and get a new device."

No wonder so many android devices get sold!
That will happen when you build an easy to root phone, or root it yourself.....

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I just can't get on with Android, I wanted to, as a few months back I was fed up with the app gap, but after exploring my options, decided to stick with with my L950. I actually can't see the attraction in IOS or Android, they both use the dead icons much like Windows did around 30 years ago. A screen with live info is very much more useful. A massive improvement recently is the way the photos app now integrates with other apps on the phone, this never worked properly for me whether on fast-ring or AU, but with the recent update (which also changed the "sharing" interface somewhat), these problems have gone away.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
The current state of affairs is such that Microsoft doesn't seem to want to use the vast distribution network that Nokia had and Nokia does not have that network anymore. So for me it doesn't matter if Nokia starts making smartphones again, they won't come to my country

Even if it does, I would only consider it if it can be better than the Nokia Lumia 1020 and have all the Nokia apps as they were or improved

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I would be interested if the company as well as their new phone had anything in common with "the old" Nokia. The Nokia 6 is just like every other cheap chinese smartphone. It's just a company slapping the Nokia brand name on phones
If they would release a phone with the look and feel of a Lumia/Nokia N9 with an absolutely awesome camera - and perhaps be manufactured in Finland - then I would be interested

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
It's Nokia only in name only as mentioned above, it's basically just a licensing deal. HMD paid Nokia to be able to use the Nokia name on their handsets, they're not designed, manufactured or distributed by Nokia. I don't want to knock either party for doing this, Nokia get to make some money off nothing other than allowing their company-name to be put on something (risk free pretty much), and HMD will probably get to sell a few extra handsets to those that don't know any better.

Win win for Nokia and HMD.... Or not as they case may be. If Nokia charged a lot for the use of their name, then HMD will struggle to make any money, and if HMD produce crappy handsets, it doesn't reflect well on Nokia, but as Nokia don't participate in the handset market anymore, any damage done to the brand will be minimal I guess.

SL2

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
I would be interested if the company as well as their new phone had anything in common with "the old" Nokia. The Nokia 6 is just like every other cheap chinese smartphone. It's just a company slapping the Nokia brand name on phones
Exactly.

Those who are excited about this launch haven't paid attention. It's not the Nokia you used to know.

All that's left from the old Nokia era is five letters.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Exactly.

Those who are excited about this launch haven't paid attention. It's not the Nokia you used to know.

All that's left from the old Nokia era is five letters.
They (Nokia) are trying to help consumers think it is...

I watched a CES presentation about the z launcher, where it basically was stated in preface to their new stuff that Nokia is back same as before.

Sent from mTalk

SL2

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
I watched a CES presentation about the z launcher, where it basically was stated in preface to their new stuff that Nokia is back same as before.
Except that someone else is designing it, and MS owns the camera IP used in the old models.

What used to make the old Nokia phones stand out from the rest?

1 - Sturdy design.
2 - Top tier cameras.

While they may still be able to make a phone look decent, I'm not so sure about the camera.

Finding a mid range Android phone with a good (albeit not sturdy) design is not really hard to do.
What could "Nokia" possibly bring to the saturated Android market that isn't already there?

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
It's not really the Nokia u knew more or less the name being used by another company to make the phones. I wouldn't have the highest expectations for it

Sent from Idol 4S

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Nope, nada, nyet and any other way you want to say ain't gonna happen. There is a great article today on this site that gives the most positive overview of Windows 10 that I have seen in years. 2017 has a lot of things coming; can't wait to experience them.
Where's the article at?

Peace. Alan
Galaxy S7Edge [MM6.0.1] Full Dresser
Lumia ICON [Win10M 14977.1000] Sportster
Even when I lose, I win.

Minh Junior Dinh

Dec 21, 2016
Visit site
Anyways, back on the phone topic. I never had the chance to try an android, aside from looking at my mother using her phone. I'd like to give it a try to judge it fairly.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm really quite content with my Lumia 950 XL. I'll sit tight for the Surface mobile.

And honestly, if I wanted an Android device, there are a few other OEMs I would choose before Nokia.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077