So, who's getting an Xbox One?

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Well I asked a few Microsoft employees and they all say it's kinect

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Surely you can understand why I cannot take your word for that. I have read many interviews and I do not recall this being expressed. Plus, there are likely very few Microsoft employees that would be able to say with any certainty how the price breaks down.

If you buy a Kinect for Windows hardware today, you can download the SDK for free, and there are several official channels of support that are likewise freely available for development on Kinect for Windows. To be sure, that price probably does include a small fee for support, but not much...that is what an MSDN membership is for.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I guess it makes sense to assume that on the hardware end compared to PS4 it could be mostly the Kinect, but I think it's also safe to assume that the operating system-level things of X1 have taken a lot more R&D-money than it has on the PS4.

iHackPro

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm still not sold on which one to get. Got the PS1, PS2, Original Xbox, and currently have an Xbox 360. I'm either going 360 along with a new PC for gaming, or PS4 along with a new PC, but there's no way I'm getting two consoles and no gaming PC because iRacing has been calling my name for a while.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
#1 reason I'm getting it - to replace my 2010 Mac Mini. Ever since updating to OS X 10.8, the browser locks up every single day. Doesn't matter which one(Safari, Chrome), it locks up. I hope that the media center OS on the XB1 will be stable and that I can launch into programs through the Kinect interface.

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
The last video game console I bought was the NES in 1986 and I've had very little interest in games since then. The Xbox One announcement definitely piqued my interest because of the TV and Streaming integration. I recently got Halo: SA on my Surface RT and am now interested in exploring some more immersive gaming on the XB1.

If it was just a game console, I wouldn't have had any interest, but Skype, Xbox Music Pass, TV, Netflix, and Pandora all unified under a great UI with quick input changing is what has me really excited. The games are just a bonus!

CDiS99

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm not going to preorder it, or purchase it right away, but I will definitely be buying one in the near future.

My gaming habits have changed/decreased significantly in the recent years. It's basically just FIFA now.

Which is why I love the fact that it's not just a gaming console. But what does concern me is that I'm not a Gold member, so I will be missing out on all those great entertainment features the One provides (much like I do on 360). It's a bummer, really :(.

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
But what does concern me is that I'm not a Gold member, so I will be missing out on all those great entertainment features the One provides (much like I do on 360). It's a bummer, really :(.

It pains me that Microsoft requires a paid Xbox Gold subscription to access services that I already pay for and I do it reluctantly. I have a secret hope that in one of the pre launch announcements that they will reverse course on this strategy.

I'd like to recommend an Xbox One to my parents because I think that they would really enjoy the easy access to Netflix, Skype, etc. I could probably convince them that the $500 is worth it to be able to Skype with their grandson, but it doesn't make sense that they would have to spend another $60 a year to watch Netflix.

I believe that this is the case for many potential XB1 customers and they would sell a lot more if they dropped this requirement.

Last edited:

CDiS99

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
It pains me that Microsoft requires a paid Xbox Gold subscription to access services that I already pay for and I do it reluctantly. I have a secret hope that in one of the pre launch announcements that they will reverse course on this strategy.

I'd like to recommend an Xbox One to my parents because I think that they would really enjoy the easy access to Netflix, Skype, etc. I could probably convince them that the $500 is worth it to be able to Skype with their grandson, but it doesn't make sense that they would have to spend another $60 a year to watch Netflix.

I believe that this is the case for many potential XB1 customers and they would sell a lot more if they dropped this requirement.

I really do not get it. I mean, $60 a year is not a lot for most people, but it's more of a principle thing.

Maybe I just don't see what else you get in addition to access to services I already pay for (besides online gaming, of course. Which is free on Playstation). But to me, it seems a little crooked...

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I really do not get it. I mean, $60 a year is not a lot for most people, but it's more of a principle thing.

There are plenty of gamers that are willing to pay, and even a number of tech enthusiasts (like me) that are willing to pay. But I can't help but think that there are a lot of people that would buy an XB1 for the media and TV functions that will be stopped by the XBLG requirement. And, that potential audience is much bigger than all gamers and tech enthusiasts combined.

The real bummer about the pay wall is that it will limit the number of people that will buy the device and thus limit the amount of support it gets from developers and third party content providers. :(

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
There are plenty of gamers that are willing to pay, and even a number of tech enthusiasts (like me) that are willing to pay. But I can't help but think that there are a lot of people that would buy an XB1 for the media and TV functions that will be stopped by the XBLG requirement. And, that potential audience is much bigger than all gamers and tech enthusiasts combined.

The real bummer about the pay wall is that it will limit the number of people that will buy the device and thus limit the amount of support it gets from developers and third party content providers. :(

That's a good point, something I didn't consider. I think they should reconsider the off-gaming capabilities being less behind paywall for this very reason. It will be very hard to attract this "new audience" when they also have to pay a monthly fee on top of everything else.

I don't mind paying as a gamer for the online features etc, but I see your point.

CDiS99

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
EXACTLY.

In order to unleash the true power of this "entertainment box" you have to pay another monthly fee on top of all your other monthly fees to access services you already pay for. Online gaming, yes, I understand. But other than that... come on.

If I were to buy the One, take it out of the box, plug it in, essentially all I would really be able to do is play games locally on my beautiful $500 device that sits behind a paywall to access features.

Even the TV guide capability is behind a paywall!

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Ive been thinking about the extra features being behind the paywall of the gold subscription and all I can come up with is MS must have had to pay handsomely for the privilege of doing it. With the Xbox One running the show you aren't ever going to use the guides that would come with Sky, Virgin, Freeview and similar companies across the globe. You are basically making the use of those services redundant. Stepping in and removing the requirement for that service wouldn't have been free for MS. Its not actually costing you extra if you subscribe to gold anyway and if you aren't then you are paying to have all your guides pulled together along with lots of other features you didn't have before. I agree with you on stuff like Netflix though, if im already paying ?5.99 a month I shouldn't have to pay the gold subscription to use it as well.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I predict the next reversal will be to remove 3rd party apps from behind the XBLG paywall, leaving only online gaming features(matching, cloud saves, game dvr) to be inline with Sony. Julie Larson-Green has been very quick in reversing Mattrick's policies.

Remember the PS3 is the most used-device for Netflix. Tons of people do not do online gaming, so they will not want to pay $5/month for the privilege when they can do just fine with a $70 Roku box.

MacDaMachine

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Any apps you have to pay a subscription should have free access. Amazon, HBOGO, Netflix, Hulu Plus.

Anything you don't like Internet Explorer, Skype, Game DVR, last.fm, etc should be Gold exclusive.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Any apps you have to pay a subscription should have free access. Amazon, HBOGO, Netflix, Hulu Plus.

Anything you don't like Internet Explorer, Skype, Game DVR, last.fm, etc should be Gold exclusive.

It's absolutely ludicrous that IE should be behind a paywall. A friggen browser!!! Even Tech News Today was blasting this policy!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05