So, who's getting an Xbox One?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
@Winning guy it wouldn't let me quote you. So you make very valid points of which I can't complain with. If/when all games utilities Kinect then it is a must have or you will not be able to play games. I for one don't mind change what I mind is forcing people into it. Which is why I have never complained about this before, there were games that used Kinect and I didn't buy those games. Others did but at least we all had the choice. Now there is no choice there's only have or have not, which has been my only complaint this entire thread no choice for the consumer.

Companies have been working on trying to move beyond the game controller for a while now.

There is only so much information that you can get from a controller.

The goal is to be able to immerse people into games. That is easier when you can see their bodies, see their faces, and hear their voices.

For many developers, the goal is to make it feel like you're in the game. That you're part of the game. Having Kinect integrated will allow them to do this.

Without Kinect integrated, developers are forced to make Kinect input as a "side thing." The game can't be dependent on your heart rate and stress level, because they wouldn't know if they could detect that on your machine. The game couldn't add functionality where you'd raise your controller to make a shield, or move your body a bit to peek around a corner. Instead, they have to be mapped to buttons. And there are a limited amount of buttons.

But those extra functions cannot be built into a game unless they 100% know that you have Kinect.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, that's all well and good, but that's not me. I've never used Skype in my life (set it up for an aunt ONCE). The OPTION is totally fine, but if I'm not going to do that stuff, but if I don't want to use the Kinect, why should I be forced to buy it? That's just ridiculous. Say this thing is $500. I won't be paying that price, at least not for a while. If they had it at $400 without the Kinect, I'd be game for buying it early on, then I might add the Kinect for $100-150 down the road. Giving folks the option to buy an accessory like this is a big deal. If I don't want to use it, I should have to pay for it.

Because if it's not part of the console, developers can't be 100% sure someone has it. Therefore, they won't code in core functionality using it.

That's the reason we haven't seen any real hardcore use of Kinect. Devs can't make a game that uses Kinect input to enhance their game because they know that not everyone has it.

It's like if the XBOX only came with a joystick as a controller. But they sold the full XBOX controller separately. Devs would code only requiring the joystick, and the other buttons and functions of the full controller would just be add-ons that are not necessary for the game. So you end up with a gimped game.

So there really is not XBOX ONE with Kinect any more than there is XBOX ONE with Hard Drive or XBOX ONE with Controller. It's just the XBOX ONE.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
No worries. First off I don't believe the voice commands make it simpler. For instance some things I use everyday like my phone and laptop take voice commands, but its simpler to do it directly then have the voice command not work properly at times. Now maybe this version of the connect will not have these issues then I could say that's nice, but I'm not still sold that it would be simpler then just pushing the Xbox button. Also on these particular examples we probably both agree it has a lot of personal preference in the matter. Because its not hard to do either way.

On your issue of a must have game that has to have a Kinect. I honestly don't know that I would play it. Example I loved Wii tennis and bowling but after awhile it lost its appeal because you couldn't just sit down relax and play the game. This to me is where the gimmick comes in. In certain settings like friends are over, or a party or your just in the mood those type of devices provide good entertainment. However if your just wanting to sit down and enjoy your video game then it because an annoyance. Because you can't when you have to interact with the Kinect.

I get your point and you would never catch me talking to my phone either. But I currently use the Kinect quite a lot - not so much the motions but definitely the voice commands when searching for films, pausing and playing said films. I use the voice commands in Skyrim a lot and in Halo CE. The fitness evolved games are great for a workout as are the dance central games but yes it is all down to preference and your circumstances I guess - I entertain friends at my house quite a bit and we always end up on the Kinect so for me the new one is a no brainer.

Theres nothing to say that you have to interact with the Kinect while gaming either - I cant see Kinect playing a role in Battlefield 4 for example (which is my first must have game) and there probably wont be much use for it in various other games. Personally I would rather have it and not need it all the time than not have it and need it some of the time. Even if it costs me an extra ?50-?100 at launch

jonathan sink

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I get your point and you would never catch me talking to my phone either. But I currently use the Kinect quite a lot - not so much the motions but definitely the voice commands when searching for films, pausing and playing said films. I use the voice commands in Skyrim a lot and in Halo CE. The fitness evolved games are great for a workout as are the dance central games but yes it is all down to preference and your circumstances I guess - I entertain friends at my house quite a bit and we always end up on the Kinect so for me the new one is a no brainer.

Theres nothing to say that you have to interact with the Kinect while gaming either - I cant see Kinect playing a role in Battlefield 4 for example (which is my first must have game) and there probably wont be much use for it in various other games. Personally I would rather have it and not need it all the time than not have it and need it some of the time. Even if it costs me an extra ?50-?100 at launch

I honestly can't argue with what you just said. My original argument is that you don't have a choice in it. I completely understand your "rather have it then not and need it". Again though that still has choice all over it lol. Who knows maybe eventually there want even be a controller and I will like it but I just don't think that day is today.

jonathan sink

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Companies have been working on trying to move beyond the game controller for a while now.

There is only so much information that you can get from a controller.

The goal is to be able to immerse people into games. That is easier when you can see their bodies, see their faces, and hear their voices.

For many developers, the goal is to make it feel like you're in the game. That you're part of the game. Having Kinect integrated will allow them to do this.

Without Kinect integrated, developers are forced to make Kinect input as a "side thing." The game can't be dependent on your heart rate and stress level, because they wouldn't know if they could detect that on your machine. The game couldn't add functionality where you'd raise your controller to make a shield, or move your body a bit to peek around a corner. Instead, they have to be mapped to buttons. And there are a limited amount of buttons.

But those extra functions cannot be built into a game unless they 100% know that you have Kinect.

yay I can quote you!

So again good points, so lets lay my sole argument to the side and argue the gaming aspect. What you say probably is true that the industry wants to move towards this type of interaction. I would agree that at times that type of control is awesome and fun. But if the game has that much functionality would it ever be able to be used with a controller? I would suggest no as you stated controller can't have that much depth. So you then tossed away any gaming in relaxing mode, no more kicked back in your sofa, controller in hand wasting your Saturday doing nothing but twiddling your thumb's. Lets face it you (not meaning you specifically) just alienated an entire style of game play that I would assume everyone enjoys at times.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Because if it's not part of the console, developers can't be 100% sure someone has it. Therefore, they won't code in core functionality using it.

That's the reason we haven't seen any real hardcore use of Kinect. Devs can't make a game that uses Kinect input to enhance their game because they know that not everyone has it.

It's like if the XBOX only came with a joystick as a controller. But they sold the full XBOX controller separately. Devs would code only requiring the joystick, and the other buttons and functions of the full controller would just be add-ons that are not necessary for the game. So you end up with a gimped game.

So there really is not XBOX ONE with Kinect any more than there is XBOX ONE with Hard Drive or XBOX ONE with Controller. It's just the XBOX ONE.

No, they didn't code for the Kinect probably because of its inaccuracies. There were plenty of games that used it, but they were mostly titles that could accept the input lag and inconsistencies of the device. Now that it functions well at quick-moving tasks, it's different. I don't care if EVERYONE had the last Kinect, FPS titles would not have worked on it.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I was so stoked for the reveal, couldn't wait for them to finally put those nasty rumours to bed once and for all.... They blew it, royally. The after show discussions about the specs and the always online and used games etc sounded hideous. Major Nelson has provided "clarification" which has not helped. The comments for that one have reached over 3400. Very few are positive. I would have to echo some of those concerns.

Also, the reveal seemed to be all about TV features. I see what they were trying to achieve, but that is not the box I need, although the real time stats looked cool. Skype, I liked though, can see that being useful. I am somewhat concerned about the bandwidth the damn thing will require. Streaming data from the remote processing servers will gobble bandwidth.

The specs too, seemed (I am a lay man, not an IT pro) much lower than the PS4. I think they needed to be way ahead of the PS4, which seems a little more future proof.

At this moment in time, if Sony announced that they had licensed the xbox controller then I would be all over the PS4.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
yay I can quote you!

So again good points, so lets lay my sole argument to the side and argue the gaming aspect. What you say probably is true that the industry wants to move towards this type of interaction. I would agree that at times that type of control is awesome and fun. But if the game has that much functionality would it ever be able to be used with a controller? I would suggest no as you stated controller can't have that much depth. So you then tossed away any gaming in relaxing mode, no more kicked back in your sofa, controller in hand wasting your Saturday doing nothing but twiddling your thumb's. Lets face it you (not meaning you specifically) just alienated an entire style of game play that I would assume everyone enjoys at times.

It's really up to developers.

I believe that most games will use BOTH the controller and Kinect. But without Kinect integrated, the option of using some Kinect functions is gone for many developers that create expensive games because they have to make it work for as many people as possible.

Heck, wwouldn'tit be cool if you were playing co-op with your friend on your couch and an NPC actually looked at YOU and spoke, then turned and looked at your friend and spike to him?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
No, they didn't code for the Kinect probably because of its inaccuracies. There were plenty of games that used it, but they were mostly titles that could accept the input lag and inconsistencies of the device. Now that it functions well at quick-moving tasks, it's different. I don't care if EVERYONE had the last Kinect, FPS titles would not have worked on it.

I've worked in the game industry for a few years. Many of my friends still work at top studios.

The main reason Kinect wasn't used as an integral part of many games is because you create for the widest user base. You don't spend much time working on things that only 10% of your customers can use. The bigger the game's budget, the more true this is.

anon(5415472)

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I'll get one. I'm tired of switching cables at the back of my tv to switch from cable to the game console. Controlling the tv with my voice and gestures will make me feel like I'm in minority report :) . It'll be great with my acer w510 and my 4 yr old HTC mozart wp7.8 with smartglass! Quantum break looks awesome!
But I'll probably buy it 2-6 months after the release when the price goes down to post-hype levels or if there's a good enough black friday deal for it.

jonathan sink

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I'll get one. I'm tired of switching cables at the back of my tv to switch from cable to the game console. Controlling the tv with my voice and gestures will make me feel like I'm in minority report :) . It'll be great with my acer w510 and my 4 yr old HTC mozart wp7.8 with smartglass! Quantum break looks awesome!
But I'll probably buy it 2-6 months after the release when the price goes down to post-hype levels or if there's a good enough black friday deal for it.

I use to have that problem but I bought a switcher on monoprice.com for good price. I've had it for roughly 5yrs not the first problem. Def recommend it I'm sure other places sell them but that's where mine is from so that's all can speak on lol.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting it. I cut the cable back in 2004. I don't give a crap about that. What interests me about the XBox one is Kinect, Kinect, Kinect!!!!

Kinect baby!!!!!

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I've worked in the game industry for a few years. Many of my friends still work at top studios.

The main reason Kinect wasn't used as an integral part of many games is because you create for the widest user base. You don't spend much time working on things that only 10% of your customers can use. The bigger the game's budget, the more true this is.

Exactly.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
For those who enjoy selling your games after you're done...

Report: Publishers to receive cut of Xbox One pre-owned sales | Joystiq

Personally, I'm a bit hurt by this. I hate selling games to Gamestop, cause they give you such a diminished value for what you can get on Craigslist. Knowing that maybe my only option makes me feel less inclined to buy games on street date, and wait for it to go on sale.
First, that is a "plausible scenario" described by a retailer. Nothing looks to be set in stone yet, which is why Microsoft hasn't come out with details yet. Second, nowhere does this say there won't be a system set up to sell anywhere other than at a retailer such as Gamestop. I would be fairly livid if something like that were to go down... But something tells me, if that did happen, it's more of a "this is what everyone will be doing" kind of thing and eventually everyone will be going that direction. Or, this could be the fall of Xbox as a gaming console, depending on how they pull this off and if Sony isn't doing the same thing.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

To an extent, sure. However, it wouldn't matter how many people owned the Kinect if you were making a fast-paced title. Call of Duty would have NO SHOT at working on the first-gen Kinect. If it was all about the widest audience, exclusives wouldn't exist.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750