Software restart in 8.1

MBY

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
My wife used to use an app under WP 8.0 to restart her phone because her power/lock button became pretty much inoperable. It seems like that API was removed in 8.1. Does anyone know anyway to restart your phone in 8.1 that does not involve the power button?

We both have 521's. I have to say I'm pretty disappointed with the amount of hardware problems we've run into - it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in the quality of the manufacturing.

anon9169769

Banned
Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
All I can think of is remove battery and put it back. How old is the phone? My one did that and I got the buttons fixed for free as it was under a year old

B1L4L

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I had the same problem with my Lumia 620 and I also got it fixed free from Nokia and I did the same thing as erratic Lumia pulled out the battery but make sure you have a charger nearby otherwise you wont be able to start your phone up again

B1L4L

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I would I upgraded to the Lumia 930 and I haven't had a problem since!! The 620 and 520s are budget phones and aren't built very well but the high end ones are a lot better

MBY

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
The phones are about 9 months old and her power button has been nigh-unusable for a couple months. That's pathetic quality, even for a budget phone. The battery trick seems like the only way to go, but it's quite a silly and annoying work-around.

We may upgrade both phones to 635 (on T-Mobile) when we have the cash, but it's pathetic phones can't last a year. They're still under warranty so at least my wife's is probably going to get replaced/fixed.

I can't understand why MS removed the API for restarting in 8.1 though. Security reasons wouldn't be a good enough explanation unless they replaced it with an official function.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if the so called pathetic quality issues is something of a personal opinion because the 521 is a very solid device and definitely not pathetic build quality wise, and yes..its a personal opinion. Also if the key is not working have you tried replacing the back cover since the volume and power keys come with it?

MBY

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I suppose that's fair. Regarding the back cover, the button on my wife's phone doesn't work (ok maybe it works 5% of the time) with the back cover off either. I can make the button on my phone work with the back cover off, so I've been able to see the difference.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Regarding the back cover, the button on my wife's phone doesn't work (ok maybe it works 5% of the time) with the back cover off either
Not sure if I am understanding this correctly. Since the buttons on your phone work fine have you tried swapping the back covers with your wife's phone to make sure that its indeed the button contacts on the phone and not the fault keys on the back cover?

MBY

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
If you can't push the buttons directly with your finger with the cover off, then they don't work at all. If you can push them with your finger but they don't work with the case on, it's the case that's the problem.

• My phone button work with the cover off or on.
  • My wife's phone's button don't work with the cover off or on.

Ergo, it's not the case that's the problem.

At least now that we have official 8.1 (with T-Mobile) she should be able to load her backups on the new phone, right?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss