SOLVED: network problems (Windows cannot access \\<PC-NAME>\drive, can't access shared folder)

LibbyLA

May 20, 2015
Visit site
I love my Surface Go, but I have run into some truly aggravating problems with the little sucker.

Last week after I reinstalled Windows and got rid of the Office nag screen, I added it to my home network and had no problems writing bunches of files from it to my desktop workstation.

Yesterday, when I tried to access my desktop from it, I got the dreaded "Windows cannot access \\<PC-NAME>\drive" message. The Go, Surface Pro 3 (SP3), and Surface 3 (S3) were all talking to each other just fine and the desktop and the SP3 and S3 were talking, as well. The only problem was between the desktop and Go, which worked beautifully last week.

I checked all the settings repeatedly, even configured a new workgroup and added the computers to it one at a time with the same results. The Go settings appeared to be identical to those on the S3 and SP3 (both of which are running Win 8.1)

At some point this morning, I got a message "You can't access this shared folder because your organization's security policies block unauthenticated guest access. These policies help protect your PC from unsafe or malicious devices on the network." A little searching on the internet got me this article:

https://www.techcrumble.net/2018/03...-policies-block-unauthenticated-guest-access/

Bingo! It's a Windows 10 problem and the fix in it worked. Note that in the comments, there's a reference to a registry edit that may be a little shorter. All I know is that as soon as I made the recommended changes, the desktop and the Go were sharing their drives.

Today is my first day of class, nearly three hours (with a break or two) of recording lecture (PowerPoint, OneNote, SAS demonstrations so lots of switching tasks). My Go will get a workout. I'm relieved to have resolved the network problem because I didn't want to have to transfer the recordings to a flash drive then to the desktop.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro