SOLVED RANDOM SCREEN BLINKING on Lumia 830

KefKef

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
Although I did not believe that it is possible I solved Screen Blinking on my Lumia 830 (RM-984_1070, Model Code:059W5N8)

Blinking was present on my phone on all public Threshold2 builds, from 10.0.10586.11 till 10.0.10586.494. My L830 was on Th2 build .494 (did not update to .545) and this is how I "fixed" it:

- moved all apps and maps from SD card to phone
- removed SD card, copied all content to PC and formated it on PC
- rebooted phone and made a fresh backup of all content to Onedrive
- with WDRT reverted the phone to WPh 8.1
- rebooted, logged on to my Outlook account and finished with NO RESTORE.
- only installed Upgrade Advisor app, followed instruction and upgraded OTA to 10.0.10586.545 version.
- rebooted, logged to my account (NO RESTORE) and immediately upgraded OTA to latest public build -
Redstone1 (AU 10.0.14393.67)
- Hard Reset from within Windows, logged to my account and RESTORED all from Onedrive.
- let it work for a couple of hours without touching it until it downloaded and restored all of my apps
(about 120 of them :)
- when the phone has finished restoring, it made a new backup to cloud.
- turned of the phone, put in my SD card, booted and formated the card again on phone. Copied from PC
via USB cable my photos, videos and documents back to the card.
- updated all apps that had updates from Store (about 40 very short updates)
- checked all my apps to see if all were OK - they were. ( only had to uninstall and reinstall VLC player to get it
to work, and Task Manager-Pro does not work at all)
- since all my settings were reset to defaults I had to go through all of them and set them to my needs.

All this took about 6 or 7 hours, but it was worth it. For 4 days now, since I did the tedious procedure, there has been NOT A SINGLE BLINK ON MY SCREEN, and the phone is working as well as it did on WPh 8.1!

KefKef

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
Naturally I tried that first, but as blinking did not go away, I reverted to 8.1, and all the rest explained above...
There is a good explanation for explained procedure making the crucial difference.

jpharwood

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for sharing. I went through a similar procedure, but didn't think to remove the sd card. I still get a blink/flash across the very top of the screen, particularly when using the "back" key. I'll try your method this weekend. Thanks again...

KefKef

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
I still get a blink/flash across the very top of the screen, particularly when using the "back" key.

That "blink/white flash" across the top row is not related only to L830. Many Lumias, including MS L950, experience that effect on W10M. It is present only on some apps, not all, when using "back key".

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I think only a hard reset after the last update and a fresh start will suffice but I bought it

I can confirm that this does NOT work. My display doesn't black-out as often as it used to, but it still happens occasionally.

In my case it has absolutely nothing to do with the back-key.

KefKef

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
You obviously don't understand what is written above. "Back key" has nothing to do with blackouts. It is, as explained, linked to a completely different screen behavior, so I doubt that you did everything the way it is explained to stop blackouts.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ you obviously don't understand who I was replying to. It wasn't you. Read the quote next time. They are there for a reason.

KefKef

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
I did not, as is very obvious, reply to the part of your answer relevant to the quote (first 2 sentences), but to your last sentence "In my case it has absolutely nothing to do with the back-key.", which has nothing to do with the quote, because blackouts apear randomly and are not in any way connected to the back key.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ Okay, agreed. That part wasn't directed at you and I should have made that clearer. You're still utterly wrong about your conclusion, but let's forget it and move on. Not worth it...

KefKef

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
OK, just to add to the relevance, I solved screen blinking/blackouts in described way on 7 L830 owned by family and friends. But ALL have the same product code RM-984_1070, Model Code:059W5N8. So that can be the reason why it does not work for everyone...

chancooluk

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Simply updating to the latest build of the Anniversary update, then performing a hard reset did the trick for me. It hasn't blinked since i reset it 4 days ago.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss