Some Microsoft apps cannot be upgraded, uninstalled or launched?

hardywang

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Some Microsoft apps cannot be upgraded, uninstalled or launched

Windows 10 Desktop 10586.420, please watch my screen record

These 7 Microsoft apps are stuck in my store update list for ever, all of them had exact the same error code in the end 0x80073CF6.

What is even worse is that I have no way to uninstall them. And all of them crash on launch.

I even tried to uninstalled some of them (e.g. solitaire) by using PowerShell, I got

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-AppxPackage *solitairecollection* | Remove-AppxPackage
Remove-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073CF6, Package could not be registered. (Exception from
HRESULT: 0x80073CF6)
NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] b55e1ee7-c8e3-0000-606b-64b5e3c8d101 in the Event Log or use
the command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID b55e1ee7-c8e3-0000-606b-64b5e3c8d101
At line:1 char:41
+ Get-AppxPackage *solitairecollection* | Remove-AppxPackage
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : WriteError: (Microsoft.Micro...__8wekyb3d8bbwe:String) [Remove-AppxPackage], IOException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : DeploymentError,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.RemoveAppxPackageCommand

Any idea what can I do?

Last edited:

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Some Microsoft apps cannot be upgraded, uninstalled or launched

Windows 10 Desktop 10586.420, please watch my screen record

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZrGTll9muY

These 7 Microsoft apps are stuck in my store update list for ever, all of them had exact the same error code in the end 0x80073CF6.

What is even worse is that I have no way to uninstall them. And all of them crash on launch.

I even tried to uninstalled some of them (e.g. solitaire) by using PowerShell, I got

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-AppxPackage *solitairecollection* | Remove-AppxPackage
Remove-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073CF6, Package could not be registered. (Exception from
NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] b55e1ee7-c8e3-0000-606b-64b5e3c8d101 in the Event Log or use
the command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID b55e1ee7-c8e3-0000-606b-64b5e3c8d101
At line:1 char:41
+ Get-AppxPackage *solitairecollection* | Remove-AppxPackage
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : WriteError: (Microsoft.Micro...__8wekyb3d8bbwe:String) [Remove-AppxPackage], IOException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : DeploymentError,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.RemoveAppxPackageCommand

Any idea what can I do?

https://chaosfreakblog.wordpress.co...store-apps-crash-immediately-after-launching/

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Hi Folks ... I'm unsure where to post this fix that I have discovered by chance/educated guess work.

Having suffered the problem of the Windows 10 Store crashing immediately after start-up on my main personal user account of my desktop PC for some time now following upgrade to W10, I have tried the numerous suggested fixes listed on many forums all to no success.

Symptoms were that while the problem persists on my personal user account it doesn't usually occur on any other user accounts created which can run the Store app and successfully perform app updates etc.

Once or twice following failure of the Store my personal user account, other accounts would also hit the problem of the Store crashing. This was easily fixed by running the fix suggested in several forums as below:

From cmd promt run ...
PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted -Command "& {$manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest}"

Now while this fixed the Store for all other users it did not for my personal user account where the whole problem started from.

When I ran the above command from the offending user account it failed with the failure mode of this forum thread:

Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073CF6, Package could not be registered. (Exception from

Thus taking the advice of the error message I extracted the error message in full from the event log and lo and behold it was clear that the system was looking for files in a folder that didn't exist.

Windows cannot find the resource package manifest in the bundle file:
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsStore_11602.1.26.0_neutral_split.scale-125_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppxManifest.xml.

While my system had the folder as below:

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsStore_11602.1.26.0_neutral_split.scale-150_8wekyb3d8bbwe

present and correct it did not have the folder ...125...

A quick copy of the folder:
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsStore_11602.1.26.0_neutral_split.scale-150_8wekyb3d8bbwe

And renaming the copied version to:
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsStore_11602.1.26.0_neutral_split.scale-125_8wekyb3d8bbwe

Then rerun cmd line:

PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted -Command "& {$manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest}"

and Bob's your uncle ... the Store works once more and is updating apps successfully. Phew!

Give this one a try if like me you've had this error a while and none of the suggested fixes works.

Caveat: I have no idea why this works and thus obviously I do not understand the root cause of the underlying fault.

Microsoft: Could you please have someone look into this fix that I have stumbled upon and diagnose the root cause this suggests and provide a cleaner fix for the non-techies. Plus of course fix the root cause within your software.

nusairmm

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site

Hi TTSoldier,

After messing with Folder's Restrictions"C:\Program Files\WindowsApps" or with applying windows update not sure, I did both. Windows Store or any related apps are not working. PLease Help!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
C:\WINDOWS\system32>PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted -Command "& {$manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest}"
Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80070005, Access is denied.
error 0x80070005: Opening file from location: AppxManifest.xml failed with
error: Access is denied.
NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId]
2fc8a425-10f6-0000-ee60-c92ff610d201 in the Event Log or use the command line
Get-AppxLog -ActivityID 2fc8a425-10f6-0000-ee60-c92ff610d201
At line:1 char:97
+ ... fest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manife ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : SecurityError: (C:\Program File...ppxManifest.xm
l:String) [Add-AppxPackage], PSSecurityException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : DeploymentError,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageMa
nager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prompt reply will be appreciated...

Thanks in Advance.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett