Sound doesn't work!!

cinny84

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I've had my phone for a couple months and for the most part I love it! However, I've recently noticed a problem with my sound. Even though I have the volume up all the way it doesn't ring! I noticed it because my alarms weren't waking me up, I thought I must have set it wrong but then I realized the alarms were going off, I just couldn't hear them. The vibration works fine, but I need more than that. Has anyone else had this problem??

mydefposse

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you have a faulty phone. I'd give your network a ring. They'll probably collect and fix it.

Sent from my OMNIA7 using Board Express

cinny84

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, thats what I thought too. I thought about taking it to the att store to ask about it but I know as soon as I take it in, the sound will work. Murphy's Law!

Thanks for the advice!

cdub66

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Try pressing the up or down volume button..should drop down an area at the top of the screen where you can select "ring" or "vibrate".

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried a power off/power on cycle. HTC devices (and a couple Focuses) have reported no sound issues, especially when using alarms.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

cinny84

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes, the power on/off usually fixes it. But the problem is that when I turn it down (using the arrow on the top left for volume control) is when it usually happens. Then when I turn it back up to 30 the sound never comes back. I know when its not working because I don't hear the little "click" when I lock or unlock my phone.
I just don't think I should have to power on and off...it's a brand new phone! I'm going to talk to the store and see what they say.
Thanks for the tips!

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I agree that it shouldn't be the way it is and that's why I am anxious for this darn update. These little bug fixes are more important than c&p, and as no one will state what bugs have been patched we won't know if its any better for awhile. Hopefully someone has been listening to issues like this for the past several months and it hs been resolved. Key operative word there is "hope" as there are no details.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

nrfitchett4

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
Yes, the power on/off usually fixes it. But the problem is that when I turn it down (using the arrow on the top left for volume control) is when it usually happens. Then when I turn it back up to 30 the sound never comes back. I know when its not working because I don't hear the little "click" when I lock or unlock my phone.
I just don't think I should have to power on and off...it's a brand new phone! I'm going to talk to the store and see what they say.
Thanks for the tips!

sometimes the sound gets messed up if you don't exit some games properly. Happened to me when I didn't exit AC through the menu. Soft reset fixed it. I think the phone needs separate sound controls for multimedia and notifications.

So, if your computer is acting up, you just go to a message board and bi!@# about it, or do you power cycle it first??? :thumbsdn:

cinny84

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Jimski...I'll be anxiously awaiting that update! I really should have known better than to buy a phone the first time it came out...just like not buying a car the first year. The kinks aren't all worked out yet!

As for the games, I never play them. The most I do besides text/talk is occasionally check facebook or email.
I'm not a very "high tech guru" so it's all very confusing to me! Haha!

mittortz

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I second the power cycle suggestions. It works; doesn't really make the problem much less critical though. I've been late to work and missed important appointments because it'll decide to mute right before bed and my alarms don't sound off. I have an HTC Surround.

This is the one bug that has made the thought of switching to WebOS or iOS. Reliability is key, and a lack of it is a deal breaker. Where the hell is that update.

nodoisnodont

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
So, if your computer is acting up, you just go to a message board and bi!@# about it, or do you power cycle it first??? :thumbsdn:

Some of you sound worse than those that are so called complaining. Ugh.

My issue is that on my second Focus (first stopped charging and replaced by ATT) will not play music (no sound) after I unplug from my car then plug in headphones after getting into the office. It's very frustrating to perform a reset everytime for this situation and if I want to reset everytime, I would go back to my Blackberry Tour.

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Some of you sound worse than those that are so called complaining. Ugh.

My issue is that on my second Focus (first stopped charging and replaced by ATT) will not play music (no sound) after I unplug from my car then plug in headphones after getting into the office. It's very frustrating to perform a reset everytime for this situation and if I want to reset everytime, I would go back to my Blackberry Tour.
When unplugging it from your car:
- Pause music
- Turn volume down to 0
- Unplug
- Turn volume up to 10+
- Resume music (see if it plays, if so continue below)
- Pause music
- Turn volume down to 5 (don't want tinnitus right?)
- Plug-in earphones
- Resume music (see if it plays)

If you hear absolutely nothing when playing through the built-in speaker after unplugging the device from your car, I would perform a full reset, then if still no good take the device back (the Focus seems to be plagued with issues).

If you can hear music after unplugging from the car, but still hear nothing through the earphones when plugging them in, take them out your ear and turn the volume all the way up as sometimes the volume can 'magically' be quieter per volume level (especially after playing games) so the device might be playing music, but it may be quieter than usual.

If you simply can hear nothing, I would attempt to fully reset your device and start from scratch, if the problem persists, I would return the device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb