SP4 M3 or HP spectre X2 12"

sundry

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Anyone considering the new spectre x2 (HP's copy of SP4). Right now you can get 15% of of the HP M7 version with 8g ram and 256 HD (Canadian site), which works out to about the same price of the SP4 m3.

Hardcore1973

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
I own the HP Spectre X360 2nd gen with skylake and the SP4 and they are both great devices. Portability then go SP4, Laptop then go x360. Of course you could spend a little more and get the Surface Book which I am typing on now.

sundry

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me how the screen compares to the SP4. Do the 4 speakers make a big difference at all?

Hardcore1973

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me how the screen compares to the SP4. Do the 4 speakers make a big difference at all?

The screen is much better on the SP4 unless you get the highest end x360. The speakers are also better on the SP4 because they are front firing dual stereo speakers. But the 2nd gen x360 speakers are 5x better than the 1st gen was.

sundry

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
I own the HP Spectre X360 2nd gen with skylake and the SP4 and they are both great devices. Portability then go SP4, Laptop then go x360. Of course you could spend a little more and get the Surface Book which I am typing on now.

I see there is some confusion. The x360 is the laptop. Spectre x2 I'm talking about has a detachable keyboard like the sp4. It has4 speakers, 2 on the keyboard and 2 on the 12" tablet.

Codeworks

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I actually have both the $799 Spectre X2 and Surface Pro 4 M3 variant in front of me right now. See my posts on tabletpcreview.com for more info. These devices are extremely similar.

Screen - I keep going back and forth... Very close in color saturation.
Keyboard - I would give the edge to the SP4... Keyboard lighting seems to be better. Although actual key travel may go to the Spectre X2.. OK, too close to tell :)
Weight and size- Again, very similar.
The stand is pretty similar in terms of use and travel.

Battery life again seems pretty similar. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

A large pro for the Spectre X2 is the built in Verizon LTE service... Works well.
I also like the USB C on the X2... Charging from either side of the device is handy.
Price - $799 with keyboard for the X2 vs $899 without keyboard for the SP4.

Geodude074

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
If you really want a Core M model, I say go with the Spectre x2. It's cheaper, comes with the keyboard for free, and you can upgrade to a Core m5 model with 8 GB RAM for $950, which is still cheaper than the SP4 m3 with keyboard ($1060).

Sybr

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
I have some specific questions about the spectre x2.
Does the keyboard support Bluetooth, or do you need to connect it to the tablet to do some work?
And do the USB c ports also work as display ports?

Codeworks

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I just tried the keyboard and it does not work standalone. It needs to be connected to the display for it to work. As far as the USB c ports working as display ports, I will not be able to help with that one since I do not have a way of testing it out.

Sybr

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
Hmm and the manual doesn't mention anything about display ports as well?

I was also wondering, the heat of both, is this overall comparable or does one become hotter doing the same tasks? Is the heat spread out or more focused in a specific point?

Thanks

Sybr

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
I don't think so, the special camera need for Hello is on the back of the tablet... (You can use it to make 3d pictures)

sundry

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
I actually have both the $799 Spectre X2 and Surface Pro 4 M3 variant in front of me right now. See my posts on tabletpcreview.com for more info. These devices are extremely similar.

Keyboard - I would give the edge to the SP4... Keyboard lighting seems to be better. Although actual key travel may go to the Spectre X2.. OK, too close to tell :)

Battery life again seems pretty similar. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

A large pro for the Spectre X2 is the built in Verizon LTE service... Works well.
I also like the USB C on the X2... Charging from either side of the device is handy.
Price - $799 with keyboard for the X2 vs $899 without keyboard for the SP4.

Thanks. I also checked out your posts. I'm surprised you found the display was comparable to the SP4, since I find the SP4's display to be the best I've ever seen.
Besides the back lighting on the keyboard, you would say the typing experience is similar but with slightly better key travel on the x2?
Did you get a chance to demo the quad speakers on the x2? And if so how did they compare. I find the speakers on the SP4 to be another strong point.

sundry

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
If you really want a Core M model, I say go with the Spectre x2. It's cheaper, comes with the keyboard for free, and you can upgrade to a Core m5 model with 8 GB RAM for $950, which is still cheaper than the SP4 m3 with keyboard ($1060).

Yes, definitely want the core m. I've read many posts where people are complaining about the fan noise. HP also has 8GB of ram and 256GB of storage. I like the fact HP includes the keyboard rather than the pen.

Codeworks

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I also checked out your posts. I'm surprised you found the display was comparable to the SP4, since I find the SP4's display to be the best I've ever seen.
Besides the back lighting on the keyboard, you would say the typing experience is similar but with slightly better key travel on the x2?
Did you get a chance to demo the quad speakers on the x2? And if so how did they compare. I find the speakers on the SP4 to be another strong point.

I did some further comparisons on the screen. Keep in mind, this is all naked eye kind of stuff... Yes, the SP4 screen has a slightly brighter screen however, the screens still seem pretty similar. The SP4 screen also may have a slightly cooler color and the Spectre has a slightly warmer color.

Typing experience is extremely similar. I may side with the trackpad on the SP4, but again, pretty similar.

sundry

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site

i would like to know what would be holding you back from getting the x2 since you find them very similar and the fact the x2 is a much better value.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124