Spare power bricks?

anon159272

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
Just so everyone is clear, I did not mean to assume credit for that idea. I got it from earlier in the thread myself; my post was meant to serve as an "if I can do it, you can do it too" sort of post. That said, I'm glad it seems to be working for people. Thanks Me2!

Wireless

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
I just want to chime in as well about the AC Power Supply that came with my Redfly. It has been an absolute nightmare for me. My first Redfly arrived from Expansys and I immediately noticed that it was close to impossible to connect and maintain a solid connection. I did research the web and found a few comments but was not swamped with complaints. I contacted Expansys and was told that they had a few complaints but did not feel it was a huge deal and they would be glad to swap my unit out. Well when the new unit arrived you can guess the outcome, same issue. This one was worse, which really surprised me. So I then sent CELIO an Email, one to customer support and another to a Celio Sales Associate who I had contact with when he sold me a CELIO that I had arranged the purchase for a friend. I asked if there was aknown issue and what, if anything, was being done about it. I never heard back from either EMAIL. Of course, the issue went on back burner until I sww this thread.

I do admit I appreciate that a Redly Associate does acknowledge this fact. But it still does not solve the issue that a Manufacturers defect, that I reported within 1 week of obtaining my unit, has not been resolved and I am stuck with a charger that is not effective, unless I prop it up in just one certain way and do a balancing act. My connection is so weak that I bet I could cause the connection to break with strong wind.

We know that the chargers problem are coming from Taiwan or Mainland charger at a cost of about $5 to $7. CELIO, we deserve a replacement charger. Sell us one at cost maybe, but some type of replacement program is really due to the first adopters and would go along way to help the companies image and show that customer satisfaction is indeed a concern of CELIO.

Mini Vent, Over.

mholmes7

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
If you don't want to spend the extra buck on including higher-end power supply, at least give yourself the chance to make a buck by selling an optional "travel charger" on your web site. That should be a supply that's half the size or less compared to the current one, have a longer barrel connector that connects more securely (no end-user plastic shaving please) and it should have fold-in US prongs.

Please put me on the list for a 'travel charger', even if it's at a premium. For me at least, even the current charger WITH FOLDING PRONGS would a big improvement.:)

Wireless

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
I would like to add that a nice sharp knife, an exacto would be great, just going around the tip and removing enough so that when you press it inside the Power Port until you feel the detente (click ) makes all the difference in the world.There also seems to be plenty of tip / barrel available so you wont go and get to bare wire, just check your work by pressing it in the Power Port checking for the "click" as you go along. You do not want to go to far , of course.

You will be happy once done. If I get a chance I have two AC adapters so I will try and get you a before and after so some of our more apprehensive readers will feel more comfortable with a comparison picture to guage their work.

Last edited:

Me2

Jun 29, 2002
Visit site
Come on Celio, sort it out.

The modified plug, and crap that EU users have to carry around with the Redfly, can be seen in pictures here:-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/forumshare/3411049959/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/forumshare/3411858860/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/forumshare/3411900204/

I cannot believe that Celio are still supplying this joke of a power supply with a product that attracts a premuim price and is primarily targetted at a corporate market. What company in their right mind would deploy a device to their mobile workforce that
a) required another bag to carry the PSU,
b) made their reps (and therefore company) a laughing stock on customer premises when they ask to plug in the PVC-tape-bound lashup, and
c) risked users slicing off their fingers while trying to make the DC plug stay in place?

Even if they could put up with the ridicule, it would be a very brave employer who took on the risk asking employees to use such bodged-up kit. Don't forget EU mains voltages are double the USA's and therefore more dangerous - meaning that mains powered equipment has to be designed to a much higher standard. If anything unfortunate happened as a result, the company, and individuals involved, would be liable not only for damages claims from the employee, but prosecution by the HSE. All because Celio scrimped on a $10 PSU?

Personally, I've stopped taking the Redfly on the road because the PSU is such a pain to carry round, and bought another netbook - which cost less, has a tiny, bag-friendly PSU, and yet does so much more. That plays right into the hands of all the nay-sayers who said the Redfly was pointless anyway. Since owning the device I've tried convincing others of the advantages and USP's of my 'fly on many occasion, but any good impressions made have been rendered worthless the minute I pulled that useless contraption out of my bag. If others are doing the same, that's got to be harming Redfly sales.

So come on Celio. You have a responsibility for both reputation and safety's sake to give your customers a replacement charger that is fit for purpose. You have had going on 8 months to sort this out. Instead of stone-walling us for the past 5, how about you get your finger out and do the right thing?

Last edited:

laurieny

Oct 28, 2008
Visit site
@Me2

The current model certainly has no safety issues, though I understand that you are mostly just expressing your frustration. I do I agree that its design is less than ideal for travel, however the use cases we designed our product for were really geared toward a device that lasted all day, such that there was no need to carry an adapter around. Given our very large battery, not just any adapter will be sufficient. We are not ignoring the feedback we have received about this, and we are exploring cost-effective options. If you will email me directly Laurie@celiocorp.com so that I can get your contact information, I will try and address this problem for you, while we continue the process of providing a better solution for all our customers.

Thanks,
Laurie

Director of Engineering
Celio Corp | REDFLY

Me2

Jun 29, 2002
Visit site
@Me2

The current model certainly has no safety issues, though I understand that you are mostly just expressing your frustration. I do I agree that its design is less than ideal for travel, however the use cases we designed our product for were really geared toward a device that lasted all day, such that there was no need to carry an adapter around. Given our very large battery, not just any adapter will be sufficient. We are not ignoring the feedback we have received about this, and we are exploring cost-effective options. If you will email me directly Laurie@celiocorp.com so that I can get your contact information, I will try and address this problem for you, while we continue the process of providing a better solution for all our customers.

Thanks,
Laurie

Director of Engineering
Celio Corp | REDFLY
Thanks for the quick response Laurie - especially at the weekend!
To deal with points raised -

"No safety issues". Well of course I wouldn't expect a manufacturer to say anything else in public - they never do until an accident occurs or a claim looms. I can't be so complacent- especially in the workplace. I know what our company's kit has to go through in field trials before approval - including that intended just for use in the home.
Any mains plug that isn't physically sound and won't stay in situ of its own accord (in fact has no physical anchorage at all) is a safety issue.
Any "plug top" that stands 3 inches proud of a wall socket, where it can easy be knocked by passers-by, the tea-trolley, or a vacuum cleaner, or get kicked and broken when using a floor-mounted, under the desk, sunken socket (common in many conference rooms), is a safety issue.
Any product that requires the owner to make modifications to it before it can be used (thus rendering null and void any insurance or safety certification) is a safety issue.
That's not forgetting, of course, the reliability issues, where the darned thing stops charging at the touch of a breeze or passing spider. So nice to wake up and find you start the day with an empty battery...

"No need to carry an adapter around". According to your own sales literature, your prime target market is to a "mobile workforce". People who often don't return to the same place every night and work irregular hours. People who need to travel light, but still carry a charger with them, to grab a power shot whenever they can.
Would you trust an important customer presentation to battery power? Do you think getting this contraption out of your bag would improve your company's professional image and sales pitch?

"Given our very large battery..." Ah that red herring again. There's no rocket science here, it's just Volts and Amps. Its already been shown that the supplied PSU is nothing special and at 22.5VA no more powerful that those supplied with most netbooks. The only thing wrong with yours is that the physical design obviously hasn't undergone any user testing (at the AC or DC end) or been given any thought to aesthetics, safety or practicality, whereas theirs obviously have.

"Cost effective" By that and earlier replies in this thread I guess you can only mean dirt cheap. It's not cost effective when it's too impractical to use. It's not cost effective if it means your product fails corporate UAT. It's not cost effective when it loses you sales. You don't have to be an Asus to get it right. I'm looking at a 23VA PSU right now that measures little over 1x1x4.5 inches. The mains connection is a "figure 8" IEC socket so it can be bundled with any mains lead the vendor or distributor wishes to suit local markets. The standard connector gives the user the option of using his own, locally bought replacement mains tails, long or short. And, in an office environment, there's no problem trying to plug it into to cramped distribution boards, concealed desk cable management systems, or sunken floor traps. That's what I call cost effective. Expensive? I doubt it. Not when it came with a budget brand home entertainment unit costing a tenth of the original Redfly price.

"We are not ignoring the feedback". Well, I go by what I see - or don't. Like 5 months without any update on the subject in this forum. Like launching an accessory shop but selling the same old design (but not available in the EU). Like designing and launching two major new models of the Redfly but still sticking with the same old charger.
Unlike the C7 and C8n, this isn't some new piece of engineering where you have to redesign and retool with your ODM. It's a pick from a catalogue, off-the-shelf, pre-Type Approved, tested and certified, 9V, 2.5A, cheap-as-chips power brick. So why's it taking so long to offer an alternative?

"you are mostly just expressing your frustration" Nice tactic to belittle a genuine complaint, shared by others in this forum. Of course I'm frustrated. Frustrated by the lack of progress from Celio. Frustrated I paid good money for a premium device that I'm not using because of Celio's penny-pinching. Frustrated that Celio are damaging a concept that I had faith in (enough to back up with cash) by their own inaction.

OK, I guess I've done my point to death. I'll send you a mail, and look forward to hearing what you have to offer.

Last edited:

Tiredone

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
I have 2 of the wall adapters and a car adapter and have had no problems at all with the power plugs not seating well in the Redfly. Are you using some weird UK or EU power adapter?

Me2

Jun 29, 2002
Visit site
I have 2 of the wall adapters and a car adapter and have had no problems at all with the power plugs not seating well in the Redfly. Are you using some weird UK or EU power adapter?

Nope, just the one supplied by Celio, like the others in this thread who had the same problem until they got out the knife. The problem isn't with the plug, but Redfly itself, in the way the socket sits behind, instead of being flush with, the Redfly case. The case wall is marginally too thick so the plug can't go deep enough in to lock. I guess this may have changed slightly in later revisions of the Redfly, or is affected by tolerances in case thickness and how closely to the case the socket is mounted.

Wireless

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
In defence of CELIO, I have already posted regarding this issue so I dont want people to use my post as a new case.

I have had 3 Power Supplies (Bricks) that all had the problem with 2 RedFly's.
First unit was my original from Expansys and was the worse of the 3 as far as staying put goes.
Expansys did a swap out, and the next unit was almost as bad. Then I learned through Googling that it was a known issue so I just decided to let it go (being there was no apparent solution).

I ncontacted CELIO about 2 months ago to see if there had been any type of improvement or new vendor for the AC Power supplies. They very nicely sent a replacement. It has the same problem, no change.

Summation
2 original Redfly 800s with 3 Power Supplies.
Fairly bad percentage I must say. So I got out the Ol knife and am making do.

Last edited:

Me2

Jun 29, 2002
Visit site
Good news!

To bring some good news to this thread, Laurie has very kindly shown me
a sample redesigned PSU intended for the international market which does
away with the need to carry around bulky adapters. The unit is smaller
and lighter (75x45x30mm approx) so much more "bag friendly", and has a
flush mounted "Figure of 8" IEC320 Type 7 mains socket so the user can
opt to use a mains lead of their choice (a US one was supplied - I guess
this could be changed at the discretion of local distributors?). The DC
connector has also been modified and now locks into the Redfly with a
positive click and solid connection. Therefore I'm pleased to report
(with Laurie's approval) that the new PSU answers all the criticisms I
have levelled at it in the past.

I understand the first priority is to make the new PSU standard for new
international orders (as these are the ones who have major issues with
the adapter). For the domestic market it may eventually supercede the
"brick" once stocks of the original type have been depleted. However I
can offer no information on timescales or whether this will be available
as a replacement through the accessory store, as these are commercial
decisions for CelioCorp alone. I suspect this will depend on what
stock levels are available after demand for the bundled units is met.

So in conclusion I'm happy to end this matter on a positive note and say
that the redesigned PSU is now truly befitting of a "Mobile Companion".
Many thanks to Laurie and Celio for responding to customer feedback so
well. If you have any queries regarding availability please direct these
through the normal support channels (i.e. support@celiocorp.com).

Wireless

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Laurie has certainly shown me a genuine care for her product as well as her customers.
She is certainly an asset to CELIO as well as to us, the End Users. :)

graham.hughes

Nov 5, 2008
Visit site
I also find that the connection into the Redfly unit it poor, but it is tight enough to charge.

The problem I have is that the US mains connector does not sit anything like tightly enough into the supplied US->UK adaptor. I have stack all three together, US->EU->UK, to get a secure connection into the mains socket.

The quality of the charger components is obviously much lower than that of the Redfly unit itself. The Redfly feels nicely designed and well constructed. It's solid enough for me to feel quite happy about shoving it in aircraft overhead storage. (How do people with a MacBook Air do that?? I'd feel like I was carrying ?1000 sheet of glass!!) It does seem like it was the cheapest charger Celio could find.

Graham.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria