Strange, Massive Deletion of Files

Babbzy Herman

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
I encountered a very strange problem last night. A bit of backstory first:

This is my second 'reset' of Windows 10. My first attempt to update into W10 went smoothly for about 1.5 months, then I got a black screen that looped continuously and would not get past startup. After trying many solutions, I figured the installation was corrupted, and started anew.

Everything on this incarnation of W10 has been fine, for about a month. However, last night, something VERY STRANGE occurred. As I went to switch the video I was watching in VLC, I double-clicked a video to load into VLC. VLC changed the video, but my PC lagged for about 20 seconds (unusual for my PC to lag at all). When it stopped, I went to look at my desktop, which is on my first monitor (second monitor has video playing on it), which was previously covered by full-screen explorer to look for the video. I was extremely surprised when I noticed that every. single. icon. was gone from my desktop, except the folder that housed the video I picked to watch.

The only things left were the Garbage Bin and that folder. I figured they went into the Garbage Bin on mistake. Checked. Nothing.

Long story short, after I went into 'My PC' to look in other folders, I was utterly baffled to notice that 400 GBs of data had been deleted from my computer. Yes, everything that was on my desktop (massive amount of videos, games, etc) were gone. Simply.. deleted.

After looking EVERYWHERE for the files, included my Program Files, Windows.Old, etc, and realizing that the items had not only been deleted, but REMOVED FROM PROGRAM FILES in many instances, I did a System Restore. Unfortunately, this did nothing except restore the FOLDERS, as the files themselves are still gone, and the 400 GBs is still missing.

My question is (if it is answerable): is this W10? Is it corrupted? I don't know of any issue with a PC that would cause this kind of data loss instantly. My hard drive has never had issues, nor the rest of my PC. Never experienced any kind of massive problems before W10. Someone help!

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
There is nothing to do. you might save some files but the first thing you should have done was stop using the computer and bring some file recovered to see what happened to files, yes, the would be recovered but apparently you did a system restore and all, which it will never restore files like desktop or something, it's only for more program files and files that were in those special places on windows.

That sounds like a strange issue. maybe it's the HDD failing? maybe something you installed caused it?
I mean not even previews have done this kind of thing. once I got files deleted on a Windows 8 preview because chkdsk was strange and it corrupted everything. but it was a preview many years ago.

This is why you should use backup solutions, I don't use them, but it seems people like you should. because I am sorry but nothing on Windows 10 is available to delete your files, yes, it might get corrupted, but it's not like it will start deleting files by itself.
And it sounds strange Windows would loop like that, and be like that. I mean, unless your dvd or usb was corrupted... or well your HDD, there is no way that windows will delete files like this.

When I get hdd failing, it's like you try to cut a file or folder, and it will take million hours to complete the task or it freezes and gives a blue screen. and it will say it can't access the file or something. but deleting files? that's something only you or a program can do.

Also, Windows.old gets deleted after awhile after upgrading, don't think that applies to you clean installing Windows 10. but that's the only thing that I know that delete files after a month. upgrading and don't moving files from windows.old.

but what you should have done was to bring a file recover on another drive, and restore folders and files on another drive. because overwriting the sectores where previous files were, makes most softwares impossible to restore those files.

This is not like help, but how Windows 10 has no way to delete files by its own. it needs a program or your actions, or you having upgraded from 7 or 8 to 10 and have windows.old folder around after the month Windows gives you.

Babbzy Herman

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, unfortunately, I thought Windows Restore would restore my files. My hard drive is fine, I've run test after test, and no problems were found. Not only that, but it doesn't skip, lag, or anything; in fact, it's faster than ever.

And, I do backup my HDD. I have an external HD that I use for backup and storage, so the files are fine. It's just, this problem could occur again at any time, and I have no way of knowing when it will occur. That's not a good feeling to have.

adinabel02

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
Hi, 1 week back I had updated Windows 7 to Windows 10, the upgrade process was successfully completed. But after 3 days, I found D drive automatically becomes unavailable which contains approx. 150 GB of useful data. Though, I’ve had success with Stellar Phoenix tool and would suggest you to give it a shot.

Good luck though!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DuckMcScrooge