Surface 3 is showing Plugged in Not Charging, and it's not plugged in. Why is it doing this?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Surface 3 is showing Plugged in Not Charging, and it's not plugged in.

Hello I've been having some problems with my Surface 3. I've only had it a couple of months and I love my Tablet PC, except for the charging part of it. About a week ago it started not charging when it was on the charger expect in a certain position. And, I have to move the cord to find the right position for it to charge. Even then it takes over a day to fully charge the surface. Now when it's off of the charger my battery icon shows "Plugged in not Charging". And, I have no idea why this would be happening. I use the charger that came with my surface, and I try to keep my computer in good running condition. Does anyone have any ideas?

Tumultus

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Surface 3 is showing Plugged in Not Charging, and it's not plugged in.

I noticed problems with both of my Surface Pro 3s for a month now. Somehow, Microsoft messed up the power management with an update - at least in my opinion. The Devices consume a lot of power while in standby / sleep mode and it happened to me multiple times that the battery was down to 0%. When the battery is so low, I also get "Plugged in / not charging" and I have to keep the device in the docking station for a very long time until it finally charges.

Not sure what is going on but I hope that MS is aware of it.

Felix_Jiang

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Re: Surface 3 is showing Plugged in Not Charging, and it's not plugged in.

I did some research and find the cause and remediation. You can check out the post.

answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surf3-surfusingwin10/solution-charging-issue-in-surface-3-plugged-in/1f3586d8-5af3-47b4-91cd-fe0105473593?tm=1444794679395

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon