Surface Devices...totally not worth it

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
As someone who owns a Pro 3, Pro 4, Book 2 and Surface Go, I honestly didn't think I'd be saying this, but really, don't bother with them. The drama just isn't worth it.

The issue isn't with the machines, but the power cables that come with them.

I've had endless issues and countless returns with every Surface Pro/Book power cable I've owned.

And the latest drama just kicked off this morning.

My Book 2 is not even four months old, and the charger has stopped working. I'm now faced with the task of contacting support, discussing the issue and arranging a return & replacement.

I know the process well. I've had to do it 5 times over the past few of years.

My Pro 3 charger died, was replaced, died again. Eventually, I bought a knockoff from Amazon. It still works.

Pro 4 charger died, replaced. Died a year later, out of warranty. Bought a new, original one from the MS store. It dies a few months later.

Surface book 2, charger died last night.

This is unacceptable. These machines cost an absolute fortune, and to have so many charger cable/power supply issues is just ridiculous.

It doesn't matter how good the device is, if it come's with a poorly manufactured power pack, and can't be reliably charged, all that solid engineering means nothing. Absolutely nothing at all.

Whoever's in charge of power cable quality control at Microsoft is.....wait, what am I saying. There is no quality control at the power cable team.

So infuriating

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I (We) have had an original Surface Pro, Surface 2, Surface Pro 3 and a Surface Pro 4.

All have been completely trouble free and the SP, SP3 and SP4 are all still running fine, no issues with any of the chargers except the Surface 2 and that only ceased to work cause my lad kicked it and managed to damage the cable.

You must be unlucky.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
sorry, I find this hard to believe... you must be doing something to these power cables... I own several surface devices from the surface 2 to surface 3 to surface pro 3 and none of them are suffering from faulty chargers... even my GF's father who I convinced to buy a surface 2 already used and his charger is still working.. heck my surface 2 and surface 3 are over 4 years old! it sucks that your having these mysterious problems with your chargers but that doesn't mean they're bad devices. also if this was a rampant problem this forum would be littered with posts of people suffering with the same problems as you, which leads me to believe yours is an isolated problem. you better check your homes electrical system or somewhere there's an electrical problem...maybe when you're packing them away for transport you're too rough? wrapping them too tight? who knows?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I've never had any problems with any Surface cables and I started with the first RT model. That being said, the Nokia 2520 RT was notorious for crapping out charging cables. Here's an idea: make every charging system via USB-C and be done with it.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
As someone who owns a Pro 3, Pro 4, Book 2 and Surface Go, I honestly didn't think I'd be saying this, but really, don't bother with them. The drama just isn't worth it.

I've had endless issues and countless returns with every Surface Pro/Book power cable I've owned.

And the latest drama just kicked off this morning.

My Book 2 is not even four months old, and the charger has stopped working. I'm now faced with the task of contacting support, discussing the issue and arranging a return & replacement.

I know the process well. I've had to do it 5 times over the past few of years.

My Pro 3 charger died, was replaced, died again. Eventually, I bought a knockoff from Amazon. It still works.

Pro 4 charger died, replaced. Died a year later, out of warranty. Bought a new, original one from the MS store. It dies a few months later.

Surface book 2, charger died last night.

This is unacceptable. These machines cost an absolute fortune, and to have so many charger cable/power supply issues is just ridiculous.

It doesn't matter how good the device is, if it come's with a poorly manufactured power pack, and can't be reliably charged, all that solid engineering means nothing. Absolutely nothing at all.

Whoever's in charge of power cable quality control at Microsoft is.....wait, what am I saying. There is no quality control at the power cable team.

So infuriating

A bit late, but I have a Surface Pro 2 and yes, I agree that the power cable is not that good. I managed to get a free one from Microsoft (a very old replacement policy that is somehow still running) and I replaced the official cable with a replacement and no issues since. Did you try an alternate cable/charger?

Mike Buckhurst

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Never had a problem with MS chargers, and I travel with mine a lot, cables wrapped around the brick, still no problem, my kids happily use them too, and they're not exactly the most conscientious users. I've got both UK and US chargers, working fine in either country too.

Have you checked your electricity supply?

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
We have, within the building here, the following machines:
- 2x Surface Books
- 3x Surface Laptops
- 5x Surface pros
- 1x Surface pro 6 (Mine)

Over the years we've had more, as well as the docks. Not once have I had to replace a power supply! Maybe we're lucky. My power supply has travelled across Europe, on many occasions. No issues.

Jez Corden

Staff member
Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I've owned almost every Surface device and I've only ever had a problem with a Surface Book 2, which was broken out of the box (poor shipping maybe? dunno). I think they're totally worth it.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I decided to go in with a Surface 3 some time ago, the USB port failed on it, when it was about 6 months out of warranty.

I bought another one, because the device was ok, and they could be gotten cheap. I'll see how this one lasts.

Cables have otherwise been fine.

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
P.s. At least with the Surface Pro 7 and 7+, you now have the choice of buying a USB C charger. That should rule out any further 'cable' issues from MS chargers.

I have the Satechi 108W Pro USB-C PD Desktop Charger and, so far, it works as intended.

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
They're even better now, due to being able to exchange the m.2 2230 ssd drive for another! I bought the 128Gb Pro 7+ and will shortly exchange for a 1tb.

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site

, Old Surface Pro here that still works, I think beman39 raises a good point about your electrical system. Granted I do see more protection parts/elements (forgot what it is called) on the wire of laptop chargers from eg HP. Anyway like user above me mentioned new models allow usb c charging so it matters less?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte