Surface Duo Audio Quality

browryan

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
So I've had my Duo for a few hours now and the audio coming from the speaker is distorted. Anyone else have this issue? [update: I'm talking about the external speaker on the left]

Last edited:

SnakePlisskin

Sep 11, 2020
Visit site
Not having that issue sorry,

I am actually impressed by the speaker in mine. The reviews made it sound like it was awful. For some light gaming and video watching I find it works very well.

browryan

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm talking about the external speaker on the left. Sorry I wasn't clear. I'm thinking it may be defective? Or maybe a factory reset will fix it?

alodar101

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm talking about the external speaker on the left. Sorry I wasn't clear. I'm thinking it may be defective? Or maybe a factory reset will fix it?

I just tried apple music on the duo. The speakers were clear and crisp. Its possible you have a defective device. If you're willing to try a reset...go ahead. Can't hurt. Do a back up first. Thats makes coming back a touch easier.

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
The only thing odd about the audio I've seen is that you have a speaker on the left, and if your screen is open on the right, brain does not compute.

I'd hard reset it and see if that helps though.

browryan

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I did a hard reset and it didn't fix anything. I consider myself an audio file so this issue may not appear to most. Any audio files out there that can comment on the external speaker sounding distorted like there is too much gain?

browryan

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I found a good test is to play some ambient sleep type music. I'm playing the Sleep playlist on Spotify and most of the songs in there sound crackly and distorted.

brau0303

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I am curious, Have you considered linking to a BT speaker or earbuds, this could allow you to see if it's a sound processing issue, App or connectivity related or perhaps a speaker issue. For me I use a night play list but I am playing local content. It's not Dolby quality bit I have not had any issues either.

Cheers,
BR

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I am curious, Have you considered linking to a BT speaker or earbuds, this could allow you to see if it's a sound processing issue, App or connectivity related or perhaps a speaker issue. For me I use a night play list but I am playing local content. It's not Dolby quality bit I have not had any issues either.

Cheers,
BR

This is a good idea for troubleshooting purposes. It could give you an idea of whether this is a hardware defect, or something that could be fixed by a restart/hard reset. Awaiting your findings, OP.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Bluetooth speakers sound great. Hard reset didn't fix it.

Have you placed any sort of screen protectors over the device that may be covering the speakers?

I know it's an eye rolling obvious question, for trouble shooting purpose it would help if you were able to walk us through how the distortion came about. Additionally, you didn't mention specifically if the audio was distorted out of the box lol.

We all have our brain fart moments... I had one today... I accidently pulled the tab off the motherboard that holds the GPU down. Fortunately it was an easy fix but it did cause my half asleep brain to lock up for a moment lol after I lifted up the case and it was underneath the PC case...

SnakePlisskin

Sep 11, 2020
Visit site
Speaking of audio I am sure some of you noticed some old school Windows Phone sounds for notifications and ringtones loaded on the duo. So good for nostalgia.

browryan

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I received my replacement. No change in audio quality. I can't believe I'm the only one that notices this distortion. I would expect this surface product to sound better than my old oneplus. No there audiophiles reading this? Hopefully it's a software issue that can be fixed.

MLEKAS

Sep 11, 2020
Visit site
I love music and consider myself an audiophile of sorts. I wouldn't say the speakers are great, but they don't exhibit any distortion for me. That said I do not like listening to music via the speaker because the music sounds tinny and compressed to the midrange.

I think the speaker sounds good for applications where there is a voice: narrated videos, phone calls. For music it emphasizes the mids and treble. At any volume I feel like the upper end is over-emphasized, but it's not clipping like you'd get with too high of a gain. If anything my complaint is the limited range, which doesn't give a very good presentation of music in the lower-mids on down. It recalls my 950XL in terms of audio quality. (I've since been spoiled by very nice speakers on the Note9 and Note10).

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
My only beef with the audio is that the volume levels are weak with bluetooth headsets. The same headsets on my other phones sound plenty loud.

Gregkk

Jun 29, 2018
Visit site
The process of elimination / trial and error should be applied to all areas of life. A whiteboard with grid and test specific tick boxes is helpful. Duo provides that second screen whiteboard bonus possibility

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thearchbishop