Surface Duo is (effectively) dead, but you can get a Samsung Galaxy Fold 5 instead

Iamdumbguy

Jun 30, 2023
Visit site
The prices are just outrageous though. The only thing they update on these things is the camera, and they didn't even do that this time.

CosmicTourist

Aug 14, 2023
Visit site
Microsoft has done it again...released a phone product and then immediately orphaned it by not doing ANYTHING to promote it, leaving it to die on the vine, just like Windows Phone 7, Windows Phone 8 and Windows Phone 10. All those other phones could have made their mark on the smartphone market with a little help from Microsoft in the promotion department. They may never have been the top dog, but they could have established themselves as a major player with a user interface unlike any of the other vendors and compatibility with existing Windows PC's that would have been the envy of all the other phone makers.
But no, Microsoft screwed over its customers by selling them a product they apparently never had any intention of trying to help it succeed. I made the mistake of trusting Microsoft to support the products they sell when I purchased a Windows 8 phone and then a Windows 10 phone. Little did I know that Satya Nadella would conclude (erroneously) that there was no place for a third smartphone OS in the marketplace. His lack of vision still sticks in my craw to this day...a defeat snatched from the jaws of victory.

waynejk

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Sorry but the Google Fold seems like a better fit for Surface Duo users looking to make a switch. Although now that I think of it, can anyone out there post a video review of how the Microsoft Launcher runs on either of these devices in comparison to the Duo 1 or 2?

Cmndr_Bytes

Dec 6, 2017
Visit site
Microsoft has done it again...released a phone product and then immediately orphaned it by not doing ANYTHING to promote it, leaving it to die on the vine, just like Windows Phone 7, Windows Phone 8 and Windows Phone 10. All those other phones could have made their mark on the smartphone market with a little help from Microsoft in the promotion department. They may never have been the top dog, but they could have established themselves as a major player with a user interface unlike any of the other vendors and compatibility with existing Windows PC's that would have been the envy of all the other phone makers.
But no, Microsoft screwed over its customers by selling them a product they apparently never had any intention of trying to help it succeed. I made the mistake of trusting Microsoft to support the products they sell when I purchased a Windows 8 phone and then a Windows 10 phone. Little did I know that Satya Nadella would conclude (erroneously) that there was no place for a third smartphone OS in the marketplace. His lack of vision still sticks in my craw to this day...a defeat snatched from the jaws of victory.
I and my craw completely agree with you. What truly infuriated me during the Win 10 phone time was when MS would update their own apps on iphone's and andriod's before they would do their own! Sometimes never even updating them in the Win phones.
"There's an app gap." Hello! You're a software company! Build the apps yourself!!!
I am still looking for a third option for a smartphone in this marketplace. And don't say no one can unseat the iPhone. That's what was said about blackberry until someone built something better.

CosmicTourist

Aug 14, 2023
Visit site
I and my craw completely agree with you. What truly infuriated me during the Win 10 phone time was when MS would update their own apps on iphone's and andriod's before they would do their own! Sometimes never even updating them in the Win phones.
"There's an app gap." Hello! You're a software company! Build the apps yourself!!!
I am still looking for a third option for a smartphone in this marketplace. And don't say no one can unseat the iPhone. That's what was said about blackberry until someone built something better.
I have purchased a Librem 5 Linux phone [link removed by Mod]. It is still a work in progress, but it does protect your privacy when you want by having hardware switches to kill the microphone, wi-fi and cellular service individually. And...most importantly to me...it does not have some giant corporation with an insatiable thirst for your personal data because of the open source OS, and Linux has not made connecting your device to every other device on the planet be default (whether you like it or not) their goal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Iamdumbguy

Jun 30, 2023
Visit site
I have purchased a Librem 5 Linux phone [link removed by Mod]. It is still a work in progress, but it does protect your privacy when you want by having hardware switches to kill the microphone, wi-fi and cellular service individually. And...most importantly to me...it does not have some giant corporation with an insatiable thirst for your personal data because of the open source OS, and Linux has not made connecting your device to every other device on the planet be default (whether you like it or not) their goal.
The problem with all phones is that they're just computers, not gadgets. The Librem 5 is even more of just a computer. They make it a point of pride on their website that Firefox is just Linux desktop Firefox. Uhhh great... I love connecting 5" displays to my desktop.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria