Samsung's Galaxy Z Fold 5 is the WRONG shape — it should be like Surface Duo

naddy69

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Yeah man. Samsung - THE leader in Android phones - should follow the “lead” of the Surface Duo. A total failure that sold less than 100,000 units in 3 years and is now dead and abandoned.

Pretty sure Samsung knows what they are doing regarding phones. Whereas Microsoft has no clue about phones, with a long history of failed phones to prove it.

Reactions: jdrison

xenred

May 6, 2023
Visit site
Yeah, they really need to update the shape. Though personally they should just find the best balance. Make it wider than we have now which will be better flr apps, but not too wide that it sacrifice the one hand use.

If Microsoft release next Surface Duo 3 or whatever it will be called. Then let that have that aspect ratio.

I think having wider but still able to use one hand while closed is good compromised as it will remain the usability of a normal smartphone but more comfortable to hold. Considering that any foldable is pretty much thicker that most typical slab phone. For anything bigger like multitasking, productivity or heavy media consumption, then opening the folding screen is way to go.

jdrison

May 23, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, they really need to update the shape. Though personally they should just find the best balance. Make it wider than we have now which will be better flr apps, but not too wide that it sacrifice the one hand use.

If Microsoft release next Surface Duo 3 or whatever it will be called. Then let that have that aspect ratio.

I think having wider but still able to use one hand while closed is good compromised as it will remain the usability of a normal smartphone but more comfortable to hold. Considering that any foldable is pretty much thicker that most typical slab phone. For anything bigger like multitasking, productivity or heavy media consumption, then opening the folding screen is way to go.
I have the Fold 4 and have to say I love how it feels in the hand while closed. Any wider and it becomes cumbersome. To me, it is already the perfect compromise since it's THICK. The combination of thickness and width really affect how it fits in the hand. My wife's hands are pretty small and it barely meets one handed use for her. There are essentially no phones on the market for her.

There are only a few apps that don't scale right and I can live with that. Also Samsung has a feature which helps scale apps that aren't natively designed to work with the aspect ratio while opened. Not perfect, but works pretty well.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Yeah man. Samsung - THE leader in Android phones - should follow the “lead” of the Surface Duo. A total failure that sold less than 100,000 units in 3 years and is now dead and abandoned.

Pretty sure Samsung knows what they are doing regarding phones. Whereas Microsoft has no clue about phones, with a long history of failed phones to prove it.
Few points of contention:

1. You don't actually make any arguments, let alone valid ones, against the idea of wider displays besides attacking Microsoft.
2. Google Pixel Fold clearly borrowed a lot from Surface Duo and has a much wider aspect than Samsung.
3. Factory tours of Samsung over the last week revealed Samsung is also considering widening the displays a bit

Pretty sure Samsung knows what they are doing regarding phones.

Samsung shipments dropped by 37%, according to Counterpoint Research. Between the price and concerns over durability (and yes, even perhaps design), Samsung is far from prefect. Apple, by comparison, only dropped 6%.

naddy69

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
So when did stating facts become “attacking Microsoft”? Samsung has a great track record in phones. MS has a horrible track record in phones. Do you deny either of these facts?

”Samsung shipments dropped by 37%”

Whereas Microsoft’s phone shipments dropped by 100%. Twice. That is another fact. Not an attack.

What exactly is your “valid point”?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria