surface duo - one hand use & realistic size.

justjun555

Dec 29, 2017
Visit site
Surface duo is gonna be wider device which will not be easy to use with one hand specially for those people who have small hands.

For those who don't know the aspect ratio of surface duo's screen is 4:3. Which makes it more squarish than current smartphones.

Using little maths I came to conclusion that surface duo's dimensions will be around 140 mm x 90 mm x 9.6 mm. In easy words it will be almost as tall as lumia 930 but half a centimeter more wider than lumia 1520 the biggest lumia ever.

Which makes me wonder how useable surface duo as a phone will be with one hand.

For reference below are the some hands on pics from last event which I found through internet.

Attachments

• 2287982.jpg
    2287982.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

justjun555

Dec 29, 2017
Visit site
Surface duo is gonna be wider device which will not be easy to use with one hand specially for those people who have small hands.

For those who don't know the aspect ratio of surface duo's screen is 4:3. Which makes it more squarish than current smartphones.

Using little maths I came to conclusion that surface duo's dimensions will be around 140 x 90 x 9.6. In easy words it will be almost as tall as lumia 930 but half a centimeter more wider than lumia 1520 the biggest lumia ever.

Which makes me wonder how useable surface duo as a phone will be with one hand.

For reference below are the some handson pics from last event which I found through internet.

Attachments

• 2287979.jpg
    2287979.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 17

DavidBS1989

Mar 21, 2018
Visit site
It looks nice, I don't see the problem. When was the last event? Do we know something new about it? The release date, or something about the functions?

justjun555

Dec 29, 2017
Visit site
It looks nice, I don't see the problem. When was the last event? Do we know something new about it? The release date, or something about the functions?

Sorry by last event I meant the product announcements event.
As you can see in some pictures above duo is gonna be as wide as BlackBerry passport. People with small hands will definitely find it little difficult to use as a phone.

DavidBS1989

Mar 21, 2018
Visit site
Sorry by last event I meant the product announcements event.
As you can see in some pictures above duo is gonna be as wide as BlackBerry passport. People with small hands will definitely find it little difficult to use as a phone.

But it has a common size, not? I see all the mobiles similar, some of them a little more, some of them a litlle less, but around the same.

justjun555

Dec 29, 2017
Visit site
But it has a common size, not? I see all the mobiles similar, some of them a little more, some of them a litlle less, but around the same.

No it's not common. It's rare actually because current smartphones with their 18:9 or 19:9 aspect ratio have become narrower.
For eg. Surface duo with it's 4:3 aspect ratio screen will be considerably wider than even current biggest phones like galaxy note 10+ which has 6.8 inch screen & 77.2 mm wide compared to that surface duo will be near 90mm wide.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I'd be willing to bet that, by the time it's released, it will have undergone a few design tweaks. Most likely, the bezels will be much smaller.

Razius

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
Other than the camera and internals (CPU, RAM, Memory) the device is basically what it will look like. I do not think they are going to get rid of the bezels in it's current form for a few reasons. I would say sensors and battery. The device is too thin to fit traditional smartphone internals. How do you fit enough battery in such a thin package? You use surface area. I think that's why there are large bezels.

I'd be willing to bet that, by the time it's released, it will have undergone a few design tweaks. Most likely, the bezels will be much smaller.

justjun555

Dec 29, 2017
Visit site
Other than the camera and internals (CPU, RAM, Memory) the device is basically what it will look like. I do not think they are going to get rid of the bezels in it's current form for a few reasons. I would say sensors and battery. The device is too thin to fit traditional smartphone internals. How do you fit enough battery in such a thin package? You use surface area. I think that's why there are large bezels.

I think they can put decent size of battery in that space. Wideness compensates for the thinness.
Similarly thin devices in the past had 2000 mah battery inside.
Lot depends on optimization as well. Galaxy fold with it's 4380 mah battery size is giving amazing results with it.

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
I really like that they made it 4:3, gives noticeably more screen area (/more efficient with space than candy bar like shapes). Big phones are never perfect in one hand anyway, so might as well make it more like a tablet when unfolded. Folded for one hand usage should be good I think.

justjun555

Dec 29, 2017
Visit site
I really like that they made it 4:3, gives noticeably more screen area (/more efficient with space than candy bar like shapes). Big phones are never perfect in one hand anyway, so might as well make it more like a tablet when unfolded. Folded for one hand usage should be good I think.

I also love the Microsoft 's decision to use 4:3 aspect ratio instead of current trend of 19:9 phones.

One hand use will be difficult I think specially for those who are used to do everything on smartphone in one hand & by thumb. not a big deal but interesting characteristic of surface duo which is worth considering for Microsoft to tweak ui accordingly
eg.
Virtual keyboard which can be resized towards corners.
Notification center & quick toggles in the middel portion of screen instead of filling whole screen. etc.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
The design of the Surface Duo reminds me so much of a Nintendo 3DS in a few respects.

I am sure MS will work out the optimal size, although maybe, with 'Duo' in the name, MS may push the design to make sure it's always used in dual-screen mode, with less focus on one-handed mode.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
The design of the Surface Duo reminds me so much of a Nintendo 3DS in a few respects.

I am sure MS will work out the optimal size, although maybe, with 'Duo' in the name, MS may push the design to make sure it's always used in dual-screen mode, with less focus on one-handed mode.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria