Surface Neo tech already behind?

bulls96

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
With the massive influx of foldable pcs tablets and phones already coming, don't you feel the Neo is already going to be behind in its tech? Thus making it a tough sell?

I know why they are not doing the folding screen thing from a engineering perspective, but it just feels less "state of the art" to not be doing it in this device. Especially if they are going to ask for a premium price for it.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
With the massive influx of foldable pcs tablets and phones already coming, don't you feel the Neo is already going to be behind in its tech? Thus making it a tough sell?

I know why they are not doing the folding screen thing from a engineering perspective, but it just feels less "state of the art" to not be doing it in this device. Especially if they are going to ask for a premium price for it.
Nahhh. Not until probably Apple perfects their reinvention of foldable design and then markets it as the new age innovation. Which usually happens 2 - 3 years after the rest. So as far as folks looking at it as old tech design I doubt that. Price point and support is what folks want nowadays. Maybe a good selfie or bothie camera setup too I guess...

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
The smart thing was to show it actually real. When Panos went into a video about what's next I was thinking great, just a concept... Then it comes out and it's real and it works! Obviously nervous about it though but nonetheless, the hardware was real and were able to demo a bit live. Then the duo comes out and that thing is real too... sure I got a stabbing pain when Android was mentioned but I've come to terms.

I don't think they feel they can do a samsung and huawei, throw something out at 2500+$ and people buy it. That's what they would have to price it at today minimum. Too much unknown for a lot of people to be willing. Maybe they wait and can get better pricing, let OEMs take the first stab at the form factor and decide what's best for the Neo and Duo.

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site

, I thought so at first but recently there were some leaks of someone beta testing the Duo and it looked incredibly thin and premium compared to other foldable phones. I can imagine the Neo being similar. Now it comes down to the price, cpu performance and Windows 10X's performance/success.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
, I thought so at first but recently there were some leaks of someone beta testing the Duo and it looked incredibly thin and premium compared to other foldable phones. I can imagine the Neo being similar. Now it comes down to the price, cpu performance and Windows 10X's performance/success.

The one crappy part is the Duo gets the cool form factor. Pocketable. There is no way I will be aiming for the Duo with Android, because I know my lifestyle and a foldable anything with Android for me is a dumb idea.

justjun555

Dec 29, 2017
Visit site
only bad thing about neo imo is size.
it should have been at least 11 inch device instead of 9 inches. by keeping it at 9 inches Microsoft has already limited it's reach imo.

for laptop formfactor dual screen makes more sense than flexible PC imo untill flexible screens are durable enough & can be folded 360 degree.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
it should have been at least 11 inch device instead of 9 inches. by keeping it at 9 inches Microsoft has already limited it's reach imo.

for laptop formfactor dual screen makes more sense than flexible PC imo untill flexible screens are durable enough & can be folded 360 degree.

I certainly hope they offer the Duo in both Android and W10x. This is all I am hoping for from them at this point. I never by new PC hardware (laptops, Tables, PCs, monitors etc) never. I always by used or by broken and repair. I have never bought a new surface anything ever. However, they show the Duo/Neo and I am a bit more focused on them again since the last time in 2015...

Cell phones (Android, Apple, Microsoft/Nokia) I was am committed to carrying one around pretty much at all times. But I won't pour money into the Neo just to have a glorified tablet/PC. The Duo though...maybe. We will see.

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site

, the Neo unfolded is suppose to feel similar to a Surface Pro / Pro X in terms of size (probably much lighter though and a bit thinner). It seems like they really want to make it a tablet-first instead of tablet/laptop hybrid. I guess it makes sense with W10X being a tablet-like OS first and also weight wise (2 11 inch screens would make it noticeably heavier, maybe too heavy for a tablet).
If it would have run W10 and have more beefy cpu & gpu than I would agree, 11 inch screens or bigger would make more sense than.

I certainly hope they offer the Duo in both Android and W10x. This is all I am hoping for from them at this point. I never by new PC hardware (laptops, Tables, PCs, monitors etc) never. I always by used or by broken and repair. I have never bought a new surface anything ever. However, they show the Duo/Neo and I am a bit more focused on them again since the last time in 2015...

Cell phones (Android, Apple, Microsoft/Nokia) I was am committed to carrying one around pretty much at all times. But I won't pour money into the Neo just to have a glorified tablet/PC. The Duo though...maybe. We will see.
, I am completely the opposite lol, I would never spend much money on (current) cell phones and tablets but would on laptops/2-1's since I can do my work on laptops. Funny how that differs per person. :)

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
, I am completely the opposite lol, I would never spend much money on (current) cell phones and tablets but would on laptops/2-1's since I can do my work on laptops. Funny how that differs per person. :)

Ya totally. I just have so much tech parts cases/tables/laptops PC cases etc that I can keep myself going by just piecing one together or repairing the one that breaks. I used to do that for a living and for fun and still do though. Phones on the other hand, hold their value much more so I will not have as many of those laying around, as I can sell one off to get a new one much easier than I could PC hardware.

And it is not like I can just piece together an Android phone barebones and flash Android to it or whatever. Yet I know many of us wished this or still do.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

I feel more interested in the Neo than the Duo, for supplementing my workflow. Leave my laptop at my desk for a meeting, bring the Neo with the thought it's less in the way in a meeting room, less distracting for others, can help me continue to check on things at a lighter duty pace while in a meeting...

So the size and form factor seems perfect to me.

bulls96

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
I feel more interested in the Neo than the Duo, for supplementing my workflow. Leave my laptop at my desk for a meeting, bring the Neo with the thought it's less in the way in a meeting room, less distracting for others, can help me continue to check on things at a lighter duty pace while in a meeting...

So the size and form factor seems perfect to me.
It's the Duo for me.

I have a Surface Book for heavy lifting and a Surface Pro X for light duties. Pro X's value to me is its screen size which I really appreciate when I use my Pro X for work stuff.

The Neo would duplicate what my Pro X does for my work flow.

I would love to have one but don't have that much extra cash to go around to have both Pro X and Neo.

I could for sure see the Duo replace my Note 10. Which is why I am more interested in it.

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
Ya totally. I just have so much tech parts cases/tables/laptops PC cases etc that I can keep myself going by just piecing one together or repairing the one that breaks. I used to do that for a living and for fun and still do though. Phones on the other hand, hold their value much more so I will not have as many of those laying around, as I can sell one off to get a new one much easier than I could PC hardware.

And it is not like I can just piece together an Android phone barebones and flash Android to it or whatever. Yet I know many of us wished this or still do.
, laptops of popular brands and in good condition also hold value (e.g. HP Spectre, XPS, Suface etcetera). Desktop parts less indeed.

The Fairphone is reasonably upgrade-able / repairable, though you're still dependent on the the parts they make. (it is more like supporting a good cause however since the price is somewhat high)

I have a Surface Book for heavy lifting and a Surface Pro X for light duties. Pro X's value to me is its screen size which I really appreciate when I use my Pro X for work stuff.

, makes sense, the Pro X is also very tablet like so the differences get kind of muddy next to a Neo. The Pro X seems like the perfect Office & UWP tablet while the Neo seems perfect a digital notebook/mole-book or such.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
It's the Duo for me.

I could for sure see the Duo replace my Note 10. Which is why I am more interested in it.

I have my work issued laptop for main work... and currently trying to use a note10 as well. I don't have a light duty device yet... My surface pro3 is not quite the right fit not is the miix630 I have.

I'm not sure I'm looking to replace my note10 just yet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb