Surface phone and its impact.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Anyone is worried about the huge impact that a suface phone could have on other phone manufacturers and especially Nokia who's all in with Windows Phone?

If I have to chose between a Surface Phone and a Nokia, I would certainly pick the Suface, which I believe would be better; on the other hand I love having a choice.

I don't want it to be like Apple, 1 choice... you don't like it? Too bad.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I think that MS will likely fill a void that is not currently addressed by current OEMs. So it won't necessarily compete directly.

OEMs are making consumer focused phones. Nobody is making a phone targeted at business except for RIM.

If MS makes a good phone with a physical keyboard and great connectivity options with great security, then it would be embraced by the business community without necessarily directly competing against their OEMs.

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Something had to have happened in the NOKIA/MS relationship for this to even be an options. Could be as simple as low sales and MS saying "Hey, consumers are buying your products so maybe somethings wrong and we can do better"

I think its a good backup plan as Nokia is having financial problems ( caused by S.Elop ) and I am not sure if MS buying Nokia is a good investment. I mean Nokia plans to layoff 13,000 by the end of 2013.

HTC still has 1 foot in/ 1 foot out in the Android World. Samsung is growing fat and content so I wouldn't expect much from them...so where would the innovation come from?

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I think MS will limit themselves on this. just balance between the OEMs and their phone. I think this will only sell in the MS store

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I think that MS will likely fill a void that is not currently addressed by current OEMs. So it won't necessarily compete directly.

OEMs are making consumer focused phones. Nobody is making a phone targeted at business except for RIM.

If MS makes a good phone with a physical keyboard and great connectivity options with great security, then it would be embraced by the business community without necessarily directly competing against their OEMs.
Maybe why Nokia is targeting the average consumers, with it's colored phones

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
It's already made me reconsider getting a L920 at launch. Especially since the L920 isn't in Cyan to start.

Honestly, it's not good for MSFT. There shouldn't have been leaks of this at this critical point in time (WP8 release).

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
It's already made me reconsider getting a L920 at launch. Especially since the L920 isn't in Cyan to start.

Honestly, it's not good for MSFT. There shouldn't have been leaks of this at this critical point in time (WP8 release).

They are working on a phone. Meaning it could be a year or more before they actually release one.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Something had to have happened in the NOKIA/MS relationship for this to even be an options. Could be as simple as low sales and MS saying "Hey, consumers are buying your products so maybe somethings wrong and we can do better"

I think its a good backup plan as Nokia is having financial problems ( caused by S.Elop ) and I am not sure if MS buying Nokia is a good investment. I mean Nokia plans to layoff 13,000 by the end of 2013.

HTC still has 1 foot in/ 1 foot out in the Android World. Samsung is growing fat and content so I wouldn't expect much from them...so where would the innovation come from?

Even if MS buys Nokia. Fine By me at least they are producing Pureview Phones and good looking ones

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I don't trust the China Times rumour any more than I trust the National Enquirer article saying Obama is meeting with Extraterrestrials.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't trust the China Times rumour any more than I trust the National Enquirer article saying Obama is meeting with Extraterrestrials.

There is an article on the WPCentral front page. Through their own source it's been moved up to a 9 on the rumor meter.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Why would ms buy Nokia? Nokia is not doing that great. There is no point to buy a potentially sinking ship. If Nokia goes down, ms doesn't have to care since they have other partners.

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
It would make sense to me for MS to explore the possibility of a Surface Phone since Surface tablets have been well received by the press, if its successful in terms of sales MS has a compelling reason to also sell phones since they will have the brand recognition there and are in dire need for as many devices as possible.

I think the OEM's have all made compelling cases to buy their new devices and a Surface phone will need to have some uber compelling reason for me to consider over a 920 with its awesome looking camera.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Is this really going to make anyone reconsider a wp8 phone? It's complete vaporware at this point. And what makes people think that this will be any better than what the other manufacturers are offering at that point?

Of course there will be nicer hardware out there 6-8 months from now. That doesn't mean I'm going to wait that long, especially when I have an upgrade burning a hole in my pocket.

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb