Surface Pro 3 update stuck at 24, how can I get it to finish?

Baron164

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Surface Pro 3 update stuck at 24%

So my wife's Surface Pro 3 running Windows 10 freaked out yesterday and kept getting stuck at the "Surface" Boot screen. I was finally able to get by it by performing a semi complicated boot sequence of holding down specific buttons for a specific amount of time. I decided to install updates in hopes of getting a new firmware update to resolve the issue. However after I performed Windows update Windows wants to install the latest version of Windows and during the upgrade process it stops at 24%, it says "copying files 82%" and it just sits. I let it sit for a couple of hours before manually rebooting. It performed the recover from failed up and restored the system back to before the update. Then I tried the update again and the same thing happened. I gave it over 2 hours and it sat at 24% and never moved. I manually rebooted so now I'm back to Windows. As anyone run into this so far? She has the i3 version and has about 15gb of free space on C: so it shouldn't be running out of space. I must say that the new update process really sucks. I have no way of telling the system to only install specific updates. It only wants to do all of them at once.

Baron164

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
So looks like something on the Surface's file system either was corrupted or failed because I can no longer boot the device at all. I'm taking it to the nearest Microsoft store next weekend to get it replaced. Microsoft support was unable to get the recovery usb drive to boot at all.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
So looks like something on the Surface's file system either was corrupted or failed because I can no longer boot the device at all. I'm taking it to the nearest Microsoft store next weekend to get it replaced. Microsoft support was unable to get the recovery usb drive to boot at all.

Yeah, that sounds about right... Let us know what happens at the Microsoft Store!

Baron164

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
They were able to reinstall Windows 10 fresh somehow, wouldn't tell me other than that it booted to USB for them. Even though I tried 3 different usb drives and 3 different images. Seems to be working now at least.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frosty8084