Surface Pro 4, core i7 or Surface Book core i5 with dGPU?

KristianKennethCarl

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
Good day,

I have the Surface Pro 4 core i7 and I am pretty much happy with it, I wasn't at first but with all the updates it fixed all my problems and now I like it so much.

So I recommend it to my brother, but the price for the Surface Pro 4 i7 with keyboard is near the price of the Surface Book core i5 with dedicated GPU.

So what do you think? Performance wise, which is would perform better? The Surface Pro 4 with built in GPU but core i7 or the Surface Book with dedicated GPU but is core i5?

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Read the reviews for performance metrics.

Ideally it all comes down to preference. Is your Brother going to use it more as a laptop or ultra-portable tablet with functions of a laptop (With keyboard)?

The tablet part of the Surface Book doesn't have the best battery life otherwise I'd ALWAYS go for the Surface Book. (I won a SP3 i3)

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, it kind of depends which form factor he prefers. I'd take the SP4 over the SB in a heartbeat. Loving my SP4 with i7/8GB/256GB.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'd get the Surface Book because between the i5 and i7 I probably wouldn't see a big performance difference.
(I could probably use a Core 2 Duo for most of my usual stuff)

However, the dGPU would be a big help for games or fancier 3D work if he does that. I know I could make use of it more than the extra horsepower an i7 offers.

dirtyvu

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
The core i7 has the Iris graphics which the the i5 does not have. While the dGPU is faster than iris when you are in tablet mode for the SB you are using Intel HD520 graphics which is a significant step below Iris. Also some programs don't like the switching GPU configuration of the SB in which cases you have to use the Intel for stability.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99