Surfcae duo 2 can not updating device

Andrew B

Apr 5, 2023
Visit site
Hy,

i come from germany an d bought an used surface duo 2 from ebay.
"I can use the device in an normal way, download apps and calling friends etc."
The strange think is i can not update my device.
(Installed version Android 11 ; Android security update january 2022; Build number 2021.1116.98)
I was in connect with the microsoft support team to get some help.
The ask me for the serial number of the device, but they can not find
my serial number in there system. (Serial number is on a lateral edge.)
My battery is strange, too. The battery is charging until 70% and stops there.
Is my surface duo 2 maybe an developer device? Is the device locked?
I will upload my pics in the next few days. :)

Thanks to all, they can help me.

Attachments

• 2023-04-02.png
    2023-04-02.png
    221.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2632.jpg
    IMG_2632.jpg
    770.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2644.jpg
    IMG_2644.jpg
    484.2 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Reactions: interlocutor1980
Jun 9, 2021
Visit site
It's really strange that even Microsoft don't have its serial number, I think you came across a device in which hardware changes will be made before selling it to you and they must be major not minor changes. I shall wait for the pictures you will upload.

Andrew B

Apr 5, 2023
Visit site
It's really strange that even Microsoft don't have its serial number, I think you came across a device in which hardware changes will be made before selling it to you and they must be major not minor changes. I shall wait for the pictures you will upload.
Thanks for your reply.
I think the pics i uplpad are the must interesting.
If you need more pics, let me know it.

Andrew B

Apr 5, 2023
Visit site
I got an recovery Image from an Mircosoft support team member.
I try to install it but without any success.
(I try sdb sideload and got the error message 21)

Attachments

• IMG_2637 (1).jpg
    IMG_2637 (1).jpg
    767.6 KB · Views: 36

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi Andrew - this is an odd one. If MS can’t find your serial number - that alone raises a flag. I never ever ever purchase electronics off of eBay because of the number of fakes, knock-offs, and stripped down 3rd party refurbs out there that are passed off as legit. This device allowing the current software build to work but not allowing updates, makes me wonder what’s actually under the hood of that for a chipset (was it replaced with a lesser version by someone to get a bad device working again). That MS can‘t find that serial number (and I tried variations myself on their website) makes me wonder about this even more. Someone with a Duo2 will have to chime in on the placement of the printed serial number on the device - according to MS and other sites, that info is printed in another position on the hardware (I don’t own one, so I’m just trying to make sure this was a legit Serial# printed on the device.

This one is a really hard one and I would highly recommend you also check over with the geniuses at the XDA-Developers forums. They would be your best resource outside of MS on this one!

EDIT: I just saw that you had a post over there 😀 Glad you found their site - let us know if they are able to assist!

Andrew B

Apr 5, 2023
Visit site
Hi Andrew - this is an odd one. If MS can’t find your serial number - that alone raises a flag. I never ever ever purchase electronics off of eBay because of the number of fakes, knock-offs, and stripped down 3rd party refurbs out there that are passed off as legit. This device allowing the current software build to work but not allowing updates, makes me wonder what’s actually under the hood of that for a chipset (was it replaced with a lesser version by someone to get a bad device working again). That MS can‘t find that serial number (and I tried variations myself on their website) makes me wonder about this even more. Someone with a Duo2 will have to chime in on the placement of the printed serial number on the device - according to MS and other sites, that info is printed in another position on the hardware (I don’t own one, so I’m just trying to make sure this was a legit Serial# printed on the device.

This one is a really hard one and I would highly recommend you also check over with the geniuses at the XDA-Developers forums. They would be your best resource outside of MS on this one!

EDIT: I just saw that you had a post over there 😀 Glad you found their site - let us know if they are able to assist!
Hy,

thanks for your reply.
I tested my device myself with deifferent apps (CPU-Z, Hardware Info, Geekbench etc).
The device should be real (Snapdragon 888, 8 giga ram, 128 GB internal storage)
Only the software is "old" on the device, not upgradable :-( .
I bought more surface devices in the past on ebay ( Surface Pro 4, Surface book 3) that
products were genuines.
The surface duo is the first device that is not "genuine".

Reactions: HelloNNNewman

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3