Sync old SMS with Windows 10 on PC

nachin_007

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
Hello there.

I used to have a Lumia 1020, at first it ran Windows Phone 8/8.1, and later Windows 10 Mobile through the Insiders ring.

Due to irrelevant reasons, on about may 2016, this handset... let's say it has become unavailable for me to use. I had to use an Android, low range phone. In the middle of this period of time, I changed my phone number (I kept my SIM card but, for other also irrelevant reasons, I decided to change the number).

By december 2016 I had the possibility of re-buy a high range handset, so I opted for the Lumia 950 XL. Once I got it, I hard-resetted it and I chosed to restore from the last Lumia 1020 available backup on OneDrive.

And since then, despite the fact that the SMS messages are correctly restored by activating the corresponding option in the Message Setup (I sincerly don't know whether it restores them from the foresaid backup on OneDrive or from what place), even through succesives hard-resetting of this 950, the syncing with the computer only takes into consideration those sent or received since the Lumia 950 XL adquisition (i.e. since the phone number change, since as I've said, during the time between the 1020 and the 950, I used an Android phone).

Any idea of the reason?

nachin_007

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
Hi, thanks for taking the time to read and to answer.

As far as I know, on Windows 10 Mobile there's no an option such as backing up manually. On the Back Up section, inside the Update and Security section on Settings, there are two switches to activate either the backup from compatible applications, or backup of settings, screen color, design, accounts and passwords. For its part, in the Settings section of the Messaging app, there is only one switch to activate the syncing, and the combo box to choose the moment since which you want to download them.

I forgot to say that it turns out to be that, at the same time I had my 1020 unusable, my computer hard drive got damaged, and I couldn't get a new one until this year june. Since then (once I installed Windows 10), is since when I'm facing this issue.

Could it be that the date of the messages which the PC retrieves matches with the date I installed Windows 10? And if so, hence, the solution could be on hard-resetting the phone to force the complete download of SMS...?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99