Sync text messages in W10M?

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
This is why I download and use the 'contacts+message backup' app by Microsoft Corporation. You can backup all your contacts and messages, or just your messages (SMS and MMS), save them to your SD card, then restore them after a hard reset. It backs up everything on your phone so that you don't have to rely on restoring from server, which doesn't seem to work lately.

Do a search for it, and back up your messages from time to time. I back up to my SD card, and then copy over to my laptop or OneDrive to keep them safe.

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
This issue persists, unfortunately. Radio silence is deafening from Microsoft despite the Feedback Hub upvotes. I'm guessing that this is all due to the "Messaging Everywhere" feature. It stinks that no one will come out and discuss the problem publicly. Several folks here on the forums have lost texts due to hard resets not resulting in restores being pushed from their Microsoft accounts as they once were. The contacts+message backup app is great if you knew about it before you hard reset.. And could result in duplicate texts if/when the sync issue is resolved. But it's a lot better than the risk of losing all text messages..

Apr 13, 2016
Visit site
This is why I download and use the 'contacts+message backup' app by Microsoft Corporation. You can backup all your contacts and messages, or just your messages (SMS and MMS), save them to your SD card, then restore them after a hard reset. It backs up everything on your phone so that you don't have to rely on restoring from server, which doesn't seem to work lately.

Do a search for it, and back up your messages from time to time. I back up to my SD card, and then copy over to my laptop or OneDrive to keep them safe.

I am having trouble moving SMS form one phone to another via contacts+message backup. My issue is that my old phone with all the previous SMS is L925 without SD card support, so I can only backup locally to fe: documents folder. I was thinking to sync this folder via OneDrive and then copy content to SD card and restore SMS in my primary L640. The problem is I couldn't find a way to copy that backup folder with backup files to one drive, instead I can only share the files with one drive and then when I move them to L640 (with computer) they are not recognizable as Backup/Rocovery files.
Is there a workaround for this? Did anyone successfully do a SMS recovery from one phone to another?

Last edited:

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I am having trouble moving SMS form one phone to another via contacts+message backup. My issue is that my old phone with all the previous SMS is L925 without SD card support, so I can only backup locally to fe: documents folder. I was thinking to sync this folder via OneDrive and then copy content to SD card and restore SMS in my primary L640. The problem is I couldn't find a way to copy that backup folder with backup files to one drive, instead I can only share the files with one drive and then when I move them to L640 (with computer) they are not recognizable as Backup/Rocovery files.
Is there a workaround for this? Did anyone successfully do a SMS recovery from one phone to another?

For moving between phones there's Transfer my Data. It uses bluetooth

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Yes, Transfer my Data is a good option. The other option is to use a PC and a USB cable to transfer the contents of the folder from the old phone to the new phone.

Best of luck with that.

nachin_007

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
Ok... Let's see.

Hello over here I've been facing this same issue, some more or some fewer details, depending on day, build version of Windows 10 Mobile, or other facts. After a long while, thinking on which one of all the threads about this issue would be the most accurate to post my experience:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...review/395689-sms-syncing-fix-10586-11-a.html
http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10-mobile/395146-2.htm
http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...a-950-dual-sim-how-restore-text-messages.html

...I decided it would be the one with the most recent answer.

I have a Lumia 1020 with, right now, the last build of Windows 10 Mobile available via the Insider Preview Ring (you shall know that the x20 spectrum is excluded via the Fast one). Since october 2015 (month which matches with a hardware failure on my handset; failure which reparation extended during two months and a half, time during which the phone was obviously off, and that ended on forcing me to buy a new 1020) everytime I have hard-resetted it throughout the successive build releases, I got the text messages restored up to that month and year.

On the paragraph above I've said I face the issue with "some more or some fewer details depending on day" due to some actions that seem to show (but I haven't been able to confirm it; what's more, on paragraphs below you'll see I'm rather close to deny it) the texts ARE indeed being backed-up. If I e.g. delete a conversation (an entire one... see here http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...696-old-text-messages-return.html#post3445315), a couple of minutes later, it appears again. It only happens, surprisingly, with conversations subsequent to 10-2015. If I delete it a second time, it seems to "really sync" and it doesn't reappear.

I've done that rare somersault of switching on the "Contacts" category on Outlook.com in order to see the folder at issue on the left pane, and I've met even rarer facts: firstly, the most of but NOT ALL messages previous to 10-2015 are displayed; secondly, since my native language is spanish, the names of contacts which have accents (?, ?) are displayed as ~Aa or ~Ee, etc.

The third rare fact takes me to talk about the Insider Preview Program on PC (see here http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...syncing-windows-10-desktop-messaging-app.html). I'm not enrolled to it, but I'd like to know whether enrolling would help to solve all this mess. Since the adding of the "History" tab to Contacts App (on both PC and handset W10 versions), on PC, casually (causally?) I see the text messages and calls up to... yes! you've got it! Up to october 2015. Due to the Cortana functionalities regarding to send SMS through the phone included on Redstone, that's where I point when I ask if getting that build, on PC, would benefit me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs