Tales of a new 930 owner

Zakaria Desai

May 3, 2015
Visit site
One week down with my brand new Lumia 930. It was unnerving at first. Looking for my fb, twitter, youtube apps. (Being fresh from Android) Well worked through that and even got myself an excellent gmail app in Metro Mail.

I was never one for following the herd, so I'm taking this all in my stride. Nothing ventured nothing gained right?

It's certainly growing on me, and Cortana is kinda addictive. Which is scary.

Armed with my new 930 Pureview camera, I'm looking at soon taking Instagram by storm. 😉

Now how best can I protect this darn phone? I dropped it flush on the tarmac twice now 😌

And though this device looks built pretty strong, I don't want to tempt fate. It's already got a few dings on the edges.

Ciao!

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Welcome! Continue browsing windowscentral.com and check the ads sprinkled in between posts. There's often a flash sale. I suggest getting a case like this:

Incipio Feather Ultra Thin Snap-On Case for Nokia Lumia 930, Lumia Icon - Windows Phone Hard Cases - Windows Central Shop

If it cracks the next time you drop it, the case did its job in absorbing the shock.

Also, give it another month or two more of using the 930 as your daily driver. You'll be surprised there's more you find that makes the OS so nice to use.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
So glad you're enjoying your 930. My 930 is my personal phone but I use an LG G2 for work, so I know there are lots of differences. For a light weight case I use the Incpio Feather case. For a really protective case that feels good in the hand I use Icipio DualPro. Remember, Icon cases fit 930 as well

Last edited:

RomilHirani

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Congratulations on that shiny new 930.
You could also use the native mail application to configure gmail without the need of a third party app. Works well for me along with hotmail. You can also merge the two mailboxes or keep them separate. Enjoy your phone!
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 925 using Tapatalk

Zakaria Desai

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the recommendations, will def check it out.

@Romil, up till yesterday, I did use the native app, but via importing gmail into outlook.com. I find metromail to be more tightly integrated, and syncs well.
Thanks for the tips.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Welcome, i am pretty sure you will like the 930. how did you drop it twice? seems that your not used to the weight i guess?

I also recommend the built in mail for the gmail thing, i guess this way you also will get all your contacts from you gmail intro your people hub, where most probably you will get all your numbers as well.

captaincalamity

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Yes if the back or even the sides where made out of a grippy material, things would be a lot less slippy and stressful, each time you pull it out of your pocket and it flies across the room. shame to put a case on such a nicely designed phone. I ordered one of these Orzly cases...Orzly? - NOKIA LUMIA 930 - Fusion Gel Hard Case BLACK Phone Cover Skin for NOKIA LUMIA 930 SmartPhone - Fits ALL Models and Versions of the Lumia 930 Model (from 2014 Original Version and onwards): Amazon.co.uk: Electronics but didn't like the clear back as it scuffs to easily, so I coloured it in with a permanent maker pen (Now why did I do that, please dont copy me and do this as now my case looks like something made by Blue Peter "UK childrens program from the 80's) Not sure if you can get screen protectors for the L930, as it has a curved edge display, someone must know otherwise about this?

I use the stock email, and simply just added my google account which works perfectly OK for me, might have a look at the metro mail app though.

Glad you like the L930, Ive been back and forth from Android to the L930 and even tried the Iphone 6, nothing on Android, even the launchers that try to copy the WP live tiles, miss the point, your homescreen on WP is like a post it note wall that is completely personalised to what ever you want and it is so alive.

PepsimanLeh

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi, a new Nokia Lumia 930 owner here. Previously on 620 and then Nokia XL. I missed Nokia Lumia. The feeling of coming back to Lumia is wonderful. It's like coming back home. I am home, WC forums!

I got the gold black version. I had my eye on yellow 1520 (I like yellow Lumias very much) but this is just so attractive.

I am glad that I am back on WP8.1, as I had 8.1 Preview on my 620. It gives me a "Resuming ....." feeling back to WP. Haha. Everything is still the same except that I see a huge improvement in our store. I was worried about the apps (coming from Android Nokia XL, no Youtube app there either) but I almost feel nothing. No gaps. There is almost nothing to complain except that I missed Glance Screen and I think I prefer LCD screens.

Really excited about Windows 10 Mobile. Can't wait to see how my 930 and Surface look together!

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Oh, and regarding protection. I use TPU clear soft skin bought on ebay and my gloss screen protector is still on its way.

Could you post a little review about your glass screen protector when you get it? I got one 2 months ago that fit poorly so I removed it. What brand did you get and where did you order it from? I've always used glass protectors on my phones, but the 930 curved glass makes it hard to fit. Thanks in advance.

anon(8141431)

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
One week down with my brand new Lumia 930. It was unnerving at first. Looking for my fb, twitter, youtube apps. (Being fresh from Android) Well worked through that and even got myself an excellent gmail app in Metro Mail.

I was never one for following the herd, so I'm taking this all in my stride. Nothing ventured nothing gained right?

It's certainly growing on me, and Cortana is kinda addictive. Which is scary.

Armed with my new 930 Pureview camera, I'm looking at soon taking Instagram by storm. ��

Now how best can I protect this darn phone? I dropped it flush on the tarmac twice now ��

And though this device looks built pretty strong, I don't want to tempt fate. It's already got a few dings on the edges.

Ciao!

no need to buy a new case or anything else. You are just getting used to holding the device (not kidding). I used to drop my 830 like crazy. But now i can balance it on my pinky with ease :)

Mark Baker3

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Simple. Get a self healing screen protector and a rubbery terrapin case. Cheap and indestructible. The official case is nice but tarnishes too easily unfortunately.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Now how best can I protect this darn phone? I dropped it flush on the tarmac twice now 

Ciao!

I have to remind you and every Nokia toting user to please be careful handling your phone. It's very dangerous to be dropping Nokias on the floor. This can happen to you, the next time. #truestory

sinkhole.jpg

Last edited:

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Welcome, always nice to see someone try something new :).

Out of curiosity which youtube app have chosen?

If your looking for something to create custom tiles, check out skinery themes and if you like transparent tiles try start perfect.

Also one of the features that doesn't get mentioned often is that pinned websites can act as a live tile if the site developer has added that functionality.

Anyway I've been using a ?1 white TPU gel case (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A4FYDS6?tag=hawk-future-21&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3093262) for over 2 years now on my 920 and it has held up pretty damn well. The only thing that has changed since I got it, is that it has become grey with age lol.

So your looking for something that is light and not too bulky, give one a try however I'm not too sure on the quality from other sellers.

Pieter Wolff

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Welcome, always nice to see someone try something new :).

Out of curiosity which youtube app have chosen?

If your looking for something to create custom tiles, check out skinery themes and if you like transparent tiles try start perfect.

Also one of the features that doesn't get mentioned often is that pinned websites can act as a live tile if the site developer has added that functionality.

Anyway I've been using a ?1 white TPU gel case (Nokia Lumia 920 White Slim TPU Hydro Gel Case Cover, Screen Protector, Polishing Cloth and Touch Screen Stylus: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories) for over 2 years now on my 920 and it has held up pretty damn well. The only thing that has changed since I got it, is that it has become grey with age lol.

So your looking for something that is light and not too bulky, give one a try however I'm not too sure on the quality from other sellers.

For what it's worth: try soaking your now grey case overnight in a mixture of 50% bleach and 50% water. The case should be white again the next morning. I have succesfully tried this on several discoloured cases. Good luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99